BMW e30 Cylinder Head rebuild - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > BMW Technical Discussions » BMW e30 Cylinder Head rebuild

BMW Technical Discussions BMW related technical discussions and questions go here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Tito

86911TLCAB
Default BMW e30 Cylinder Head rebuild

So I am taking the plunge and attempting to rebuild a cylinder head. have a couple of questions:

1. Valves--I have 5 bent exhaust valves and 1 bent intake valve. the valves are obviously bent at the head of the valve, but the stems seem ok. when I put a good valve into the same cylinder there is little to no play (equal to the valves that are not bent). i am presuming there isn't an absolute need to change out the valve guides as long as there is no play. True...or false?

2. Some of the videos i have watched show each valves spring/keepers/etc being kept together. Does this make any difference?

3. I have some very slight scoring on one of the camshaft journals (proper terminology). can this be removed with light polishing with 220 or higher sandpaper?

4. The head i was given (thank you Jeff/Hoophead) is really clean and looks great. I will likely take it to a machine shop just to verify it isn't warped and press on to put it back together. Is there a benefit to having it chemically cleaned?

am sure there will be other questions and any assistance is always appreciated.

82 911 SC with 3.2
73 RSR project
97 328is
99 328is
97 Lexus SC300 Manual

86 TL (gone)
993 (gone)
75 911S (gone)