E90 330i overheating - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > BMW Technical Discussions » E90 330i overheating

BMW Technical Discussions BMW related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak Ratt View Post
Wow, the more I hear about BMWs (all above) the less I want one. OK, ok I prolly haven't wanted one since the 2002 Tii and Bravaria

Despite some of the parts being really stupidly designed and fragile, they are really easy to work on.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak Ratt View Post
Wow, the more I hear about BMWs (all above) the less I want one.
You know, I've spent a lot of time under my BMW this year. Now part of this is because I bought a 5 yr old car with 50k miles on it, so there's that. But no Honda or Toyota I've ever had needed this much maintenance after 60k miles either.

However.

No Toyota or Honda I've had ever made me think "God I love driving this car" every single time I got in it, as the BMW does. There's a lot of dumb over-designed shit on these cars that breaks a lot. However, there's a huge DIY community for them (3 series especially), parts prices aren't cheap but <= Porsche prices, and like Steve said they are pretty easy to work on.
1999 E46 328i
Old 12-21-2013, 05:18 PM

BobNovas

My 4.4 X5 has a water cooled alternator! Why would you need to water cool an alternator? Sheesh. That cost a pretty penny to replace. I won't mention what the air bag suspension cost.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:04 AM

jerome951

Sux to hear, Jazz. Hopefully it's simple and cheap.

Of course, now I'm worried. My car has almost the same # of miles...
Old 12-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome951 View Post
Sux to hear, Jazz. Hopefully it's simple and cheap.

Of course, now I'm worried. My car has almost the same # of miles...
Some have failed as early as 50k, but from what I've read 100k+ is the norm. However, almost everyone says it's a question of when, not if.
1999 E46 328i
Old 12-25-2013, 11:21 PM

magnetic1

I actually JUST did this on my faither in-law's car. Electric Water Pump. Such a pain in the ass to replace but not terrible.

There is a pretty detailed video on YouTube.

Water pump is pretty expensive too. Replace the T-stat while there there.
EX-#121 IP/GTS3 BMW E36 M3
HERE-#121 GTS3/4 BMW E46 M3
http://www.Salazar-Racing.com
http://www.brakeswap.com
PM me parts/brake requests and orders. I will donate a portion of order to DorkiBoard!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
There is a pretty detailed video on YouTube.
Yup, I watched several of those BavAuto videos - they're pretty well done. Right before Xmas BavAuto also had a 20% gift certificate sale, so I picked up a $500 gc for $400, which is convenient as parts for everything come out to almost exactly $500.

Since I don't drive for work and have been off doing other things, the car has sat since the overheating. Finally got around to scanning it today. Just as I thought, I got the ol' 2E81:

Name:  fault2e81.png
Views: 179
Size:  32.2 KB
1999 E46 328i
Old 12-31-2013, 02:46 PM

John Clay

Care to share the double extra secret code to view the coolant temps? BTW, I've officially had replaced every part of the cooling system in my E39. Seems like BMW simply insists that their cooling systems are designed to fail at 100kish miles.
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM

junkyard_sal

Sorry to hear the troubles with BMW. One of the primary problems with BMWs post e46 3 series is the BMW maintenance plan. They went to far less maintenance including eliminating the full fluid change after break in. Mike Miller has written a ton of articles on this issue and the much more rapid failure rate of the cars as a result of the reduction in routine maintenance.

BMWs up to e46s that were well maintained by the dealer had the following done:

Oil and Filter every 3,000 miles (5,000 miles with synthetic), automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and filter changes every 15,000 miles, manual gearbox and differential oil changes every 30,000 miles, annual brake fluid changes, and coolant changes every two years. Spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filters were typically replaced every 30,000 miles on most BMWs (this is a tune-up) except M cars up to 1995, which got new spark plugs and a valve adjustment every 15,000....The owner paid for this service and BMWs were tagged as costly to maintain.

Once BMW began paying for scheduled maintenance, the “schedule” was revised. Now, magically, the cars hardly need any maintenance at all! The 1,200-mile break-in service was done away with except for M cars. Engine oil suddenly lasts 15,000 miles (dealers are supposed to use BMW synthetic oil). Manual gearbox and differential oil? No worries there – now BMW says they NEVER need to be changed, it’s “lifetime fill.” Brake fluid and coolant service intervals were doubled with no change in the original BMW brake fluid and anti-freeze dealers are supposed to use. So you know the brake fluid still absorbs water and the anti-corrosion properties of the coolant are well exceeded after two years.

If you are buying a used BMW post e46 that has been "dealer maintained" you are buying some problems.......
95 M3 Prepped racing shell
98 M3 I-Sport race car in development
03 2500HD 8.1ltr Vortec Alison Tranny, 4.11 gearing w/ G80 Locker
Old 01-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Site Admin

Halfway through replacing the water pump. If you're wondering "Do they still teach the Engineering Sadism class at German engineering schools?", the answer is a resounding "yes". Nothing worse than fighting with connectors you can't reach or see while dumping coolant all over yourself.
1999 E46 328i