981 cayman with bad coil on #6 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » 981 cayman with bad coil on #6

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:24 AM

Otto
Default 981 cayman with bad coil on #6

not more than two miles from summit point sunday after my last session, i got a check engine light and a message indicating it was ok to continue driving, but it went into limp mode and disabled just about everything

i did a slow drive home, some 40 miles, with a sick car that vibrates under load

next morning, my bluetooth obdlink mx indicated a few codes, and misfires on #6

tom at tpc suggested i use the cobb to get the codes and it showed more codes, but they all seem to start with a bad coil on #6

11,000 miles and a bad coil??? it is a 2014, and i guess they could have aged out

it is a cpo car, i need to decide which dealer to take it too

i am taking a poll - tysons, arlington, or silver spring???

also, should i drive it, or make them tow it? i am 30 miles from tysons, further to arlington and silver spring

2021 Boxster 25
2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S
2006 Boxster S
Old 08-06-2019, 01:44 PM

Dandelion

Coils #6 is usually the one that goes bad - not uncommon on DE Caymans (ask Michael Kuehn).

ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 08-06-2019, 02:27 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Tysons. With Silver Spring being #2 choice (really based only on the distance from you). I really haven't heard anything positive about Arlington. It's owned by Rosenthal these days and I understand the 'luxury car' experience is lost on them.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 08-06-2019, 02:36 PM

trytryagain

Otto, I had this problem and had to drive home from VIR. If you turn the car off and back on the problem may temporarily resolve. I did this at least half a dozen times to get out of limp mode—it would then be fine for some miles.

The issue I believe is heat related and is why I added a center radiator and also make it a point to cool my car down after each session. I don’t park until the oil temps are back into the teens. Number 6 is the most frequent failure and is relatively easy to change. Ed Wright and I changed his at WG (I carried a spare coil), and he drove back no problem.

2014 Cayman (Aka "Rubber Ducky")

1971 914 (back in the day)
Old 08-06-2019, 02:39 PM

trytryagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytryagain View Post
Otto, I had this problem and had to drive home from VIR. If you turn the car off and back on the problem may temporarily resolve. I did this at least half a dozen times to get out of limp mode—it would then be fine for some miles.

The issue I believe is heat related and is why I added a center radiator and also make it a point to cool my car down after each session. I don’t park until the oil temps are back into the teens. Number 6 is the most frequent failure and is relatively easy to change. Ed Wright and I changed his at WG (I carried a spare coil), and he drove back no problem.
Also should mention that the current coils have a higher part number and may be improved. I had them all changed when it was time to change the spark plugs.

2014 Cayman (Aka "Rubber Ducky")

1971 914 (back in the day)
Old 08-06-2019, 03:22 PM

Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytryagain View Post

And Jim and I bought extra coils right before PorscheFest on Jim C's recommendation at Tech!
PCA Potomac Chief Driver Ambassador

#21 (Ladybug) and #28 (Bumblebee)
Old 08-06-2019, 05:09 PM

tbernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
And Jim and I bought extra coils right before PorscheFest on Jim C's recommendation at Tech!

this!! A couple extra coils should be in the spares bin you take to the track.

Gone
18 718 Cayman GTS (GT Silver)
14 981 Cayman S (white)
15 991.1 GT3
11 997.2 GT3
96 993 Targa
96 993 C2 tracker
00 986 Boxster S
99 986 Boxster
Old 08-06-2019, 05:36 PM

cmartin

Swap with another to make sure the code follows.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:26 AM

RV4Flyer

I had my #6 coil go bad as well in my 14' 981 last year. Was under the CPO warranty so had it fixed at the dealer. They said it is a common problem and there are updated coils they use now, they are a different color so you can easily tell. I have an extra in my track kit just in case. It is an easy fix so I wouldn't sweat over who does it so save yourself some effort. You could probably just do it yourself.

Wall of Dearly Departed Loved Ones
07 987 Cayman S
03 996
86 944
74 914
78 924

Bro Code Rule 43:
When a Bro learns another Bro has been in a traffic accident, they must first ask what condition the car is in.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:35 AM

Otto

man, had i known just restarting the car a time or two might have resolved the issue for the drive home!

i feared it would not start again, and the dash message said i could drive on carefully

limp mode is no fun

so, in addition to a coil, one wonders what other spare parts should be kept on hand for a 981 cayman s for hpde events. and then, there is the space, tools, skills, etc, to make use of them. i am not real big on wrenching, on or off the track myself, but i know there is help from my pca friends, perhaps given beer and food

here are my current codes, if anyone would like to comment, please do so...

0x773

Uc150

Uc151

Uc153

Uc143

Uc322

Uc323

Uc140

Uc152

Uc130

Uc126

0x753

Uc140

Uc155

Uc447

the car seems to be running fine now

the dash info messages are no more

i took it for a spin last night

but these codes persist, and while i can clear them, i thought i would leave them for tysons porsche to see

i should have taken a photo of the dash info messages, but i did not think of that

i was going to take it to the dealer for cpo service anyway, as i have a developing door panel fitment issue, and the driver window switch has an intermittent issue

2021 Boxster 25
2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S
2006 Boxster S