July 8 Barbecue at my house... - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Fun Runs and Upcoming Events in our area. » July 8 Barbecue at my house...

Fun Runs and Upcoming Events in our area. Post upcoming NoVA/DC/MD events here. You can also use the Calendar for scheduling.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Sorry to hear that. I have had 4 contactors stick on auto lifts at HBL. They run all the way up and go into lock out but the cars can't hit anything. No harm but freaks out the mechanics!

There is an easy way to build and install a 100% cutoff system on the beam. Feel free to contact me for info. Home Depot and Grangers stuff and an afternoon to install working slow. Same as manufacture methods or better. I am right around th corner from you in Falls Church.
Anything less that feed power cutoff will not protect you from switch or contactor welding. A switch or contactor can weld and stick from simple bad luck, a motor overload or from bumping. Hitting the UP switch while the motor is coasting down can cause the motor to attempt to restart while the centrifugal start switch is not reset this causes high inrush amps and can weld a switch or contactor. The breaker can trip and when you reset the unit now runs uncontrolled. This is not an unheard of or real unusual thing to have happen.
I would not use the lift before installing a self built or factory purchased feed power lock out system. (Duh, as if you planned to) If the lift does not use a contactor that is controlled by the UP button I would add a 2X or 4X rated contactor. $30 or so and 20 min of wiring inside the control box to do. You can also as a solid state timer to prevent bumping. It can be set to lock out the control switch for 3 or 4 seconds after up cycle. $20 or so and installed inline with the switch to contactor wiring. A good contactor might help with the breaker tripping problem if the push button switch closes slow and one leg drags. A small unfused service disconect at the controller might make for better sleep too. Lift gos apeshit you pull the switch. No help if you are out of the room but the overhead device will catch that.
As to the 70 amp and the 20 amp tripping together. The 70 might be closer to full cap than the 20 or the legs might be miss match loaded. If the 70 has badly mismatched loads on it that can make it sensitive as well. One leg of the split phase has more draw and trips out or pulls the entire breaker open. Test for amp draw on each leg as well as each branch down stream.
A high inrush load can cause the 70 to trip first as well. Sometimes the unit or device protector breaker will trip and as it does the panel or sub panel will trip as well. Unless this happens often there is little to do other than testing amp draw and matching the loads to the system. 70 tripping before the 20 I would test the loads on the 70 and replace the 20. 20 amp 2 leg breakers are cheap.

Anything can fail and often when you least or most expect it. Good build and redundant methods can prevent the less odd happenings.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:31 PM

mr_bock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Mickelwait
Sorry to hear that. I have had 4 contactors stick on auto lifts at HBL. They run all the way up and go into lock out but the cars can't hit anything. No harm but freaks out the mechanics!

There is a simple to build and add kit that you install on the roof or other low point that has a padded bar that transverses the low point or likely contact area. The ends of the device have 2 normaly open switches that wire to the main power feed imput. Ether switch can open and cut the power regardless of any button or contactor failure. I have a setup at my shop if you want to see how it works. A Porsche on my lift will not hit anything at full lock but if a trunk is open that will contact. Only after this happened, and I fixed the drywall, didn I think to add the safety stop bar setup. They are not hard to make, inexpensive and can be made from materals fom Home Depot and Grangers.
Thanks for the kind words.... and the suggestion. I am waiting to see how the lift manufacturer responds to all of this (insurance claim) and if they come up with safety sytem so this can never happen again. The lift installer said that safety switchs like what you described do fail!!! Hope this does not happen to anyone!!!!!

1996 911 C2 Arena Red
TPC Supercharger kit
Installed by Euroquipe, Saint Charles, IL
H&R Springs, Swaybars
Kinesis K28 rims
Rain Gutter Delete
FisterD Stage III Muffler Mod
Old 05-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Shit that was you? I saw that thread cross posted into Pelican. What a bummer, but certainly looked like you could get it fixed.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:09 AM

gxlex

Sorry to hear this happen to you. Hopefully insurance will pick up the repair bill. Keep us posted.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:09 AM
Glorified babysitter

BeerBurner

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the car.

Even though I'm a relative lurker here, I also live right down the street from you so I'd like to make it. Maybe if I meet some more of you guys I'll be a little more social around here. The only downside is I start graduate school that week, but that shouldn't be a problem. Call it a tentative RSVP for two.

And I'll bring whatever you need me to bring!

BB.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:19 AM

mr_bock

Thanks!!! early June I will start putting a head count together and see what I might need, if anything. Someone can be the Barbecue expert, beer expert, ...

1996 911 C2 Arena Red
TPC Supercharger kit
Installed by Euroquipe, Saint Charles, IL
H&R Springs, Swaybars
Kinesis K28 rims
Rain Gutter Delete
FisterD Stage III Muffler Mod
Old 06-01-2006, 07:43 AM
Glorified babysitter

BeerBurner

I'm an expert at drinking beer. Does that help?

BB.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:35 AM

dnwong

Hi, I am a new 951 owner and would love to come and meet some fellows p-car owners. However, I won't be able to make till after 7:00pm. Hope its still going by then...
Old 06-14-2006, 01:39 AM

dnwong

Is there a forum for the BMW m5 group in the Nova Area?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Moonshine Tester

tdatk has one HoF thread
Talking

Geo, Extremely sorry to hear about my favorite 993. I will try to make the outing , should I bring cash or check to take this one out of your misery? J kidding

Tim
82 911 SC (sold missed)
90 C2 (sold missed)
87 928 S4 (sold)
85.5 9 fofo (sold )