Simulators as a learning tool - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Simulators as a learning tool

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:15 PM

tangel

I had been researching this a good bit over the summer. I settled on iracing because it has many of the east coast tracks (WGI, VIR, LRP, MO, SP), the tracks are purportedly amongst the most accurate modeled in a consumer-level sim, and the physics engine is also quite good. Although the fact that you have to purchase many cars and tracks on top of the subscription is annoying. My take away was that a good sim can help you build some directly transferable/applicable skills and improve some skills which are not directly transferable between car-sim.

Directly transferable:
Learning the track, line, etc.
Vision, looking further and further ahead
Getting comfortable with driving in traffic, anticipating other's behavior

Somewhat transferable/effective:
Using vision to gauge speed
Smoothness with steering inputs (force-feedback wheel very helpful)
Improving braking-foot sensitivity, especially left-foot braking (load cell pedal set is a must)

IMHO only reason to go with a console (XBox, PS) would be if you aren't comfortable with computers. Look for deals on the equipment, a few months back I picked up a fairly complete PC, fanatec cockpit and oculus rift setup off craigslist for not much more than a set of tires. The VR takes some getting used to, but I acclimated quickly and now can go 30mins without problems. There is a lot of discussion and an iracing group over on rennlist.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:45 PM

rbpeirce

I bought Assetto Corsa for one main reason. Somebody had done a Pitt Race mod, which is my home track. Using it I discovered it is very realistic to drive but very primitive in surrounding environment. I later discovered there were mods for Mid-OH, VIR and WGN. I've driven Mid-OH and it is also very realistic. I can't say for sure about VIR and WGN but watching videos and driving the sim they both seem very good as well. The infrastructure on these three is also very good.

The one big problem for Potomac Region members is nobody has done a Summit Point mod yet. People keep talking about it but nobody has done it. I keep hoping.

AC is extremely realistic with one flaw that applies to all sims, no G-forces. You have to get everything through the wheel which makes a good FFB wheel mandatory. I'm using a Thrusmaster because it didn't cost big bucks, but I am using Fanatic pedals because load cell brakes feel more realistic than potentiometer brakes. You can spend thousands upping the realism, but I just don't think it is worth it. I do recommend VR and a dedicated seat is worthwhile.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:32 PM

JoeG

Here is an interesting article on Hamilton, sims, games and how he doesn't walk tracks anymore: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/12...ter-than-games

I've not used these sims/games but I can appreciate how they can teach the lines. However, I prefer using YouTube videos (same run group and vehicle) for learning the track and lines.

As for a "learning tool" I'm in the camp that "Brain power is the new horsepower", a quote from RaceLogic's advanced circuit driving technique publication. I also suggest reading Evan Close's Der Vorganger March 2018 article "Data Acquisition". No affiliation to RaceLogic but had a chance to demo Vbox2 and CircuitTools software and I'm convinced that this the most effective learning tool.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:02 PM

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der ABT View Post
Big fan of iracing,
Fanatec is my favorite wheel/pedal set up but isnt cheap.....need to buy one soon to make it thru the winter
The Fanatec set up does look good but it is a commitment, $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPooch View Post
FWIW usually around Thanksgiving iRacing has a black Friday special and you can subscribe for a whole year at half price.
They have a sale is gong on now and as previously stated SP is included in the base subscription.

Thanks for the info guys

18 GT3T -
79 911SC - ROW
74 914/6 2.2 - Vintage Track Car - Project
15 Beetle Conv - Hers

Sold: 997.2 C2S, 88 944, 16 GT4, 13 Boxster, 1973 914/4 2.0, 1980 911SC ROW w/3.2, 77 911S Targa, 1970 914GT 3.2, 71 914/4 2.4, 76 912E, 89 944S2, 1980 924 Turbo, 98 Boxster, 70 911T, 72 914, 75 914, 73 914, 87 944, 74 911, 72 914 - 06 M3, 95 M3, 98 328is, 95 530i, 95 328is
Old 11-07-2018, 10:43 PM

Handlebar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick3000 View Post
The Fanatec set up does look good but it is a commitment, $$$
TBH, Not a big commitment vs. what can be gained or retained in applied DE dollars.

Form me, the real physics and G-forces are a big part of how I sense grip and enjoy what I do. I know some very successful sim guys, but I can’t personally translate unknown sim experiences to real track application as well as I have learned to bring some of what I learn in reality to a sim.

YMMV. Probably will.

1988 911 Carrera 3.2
1995 911 - #121 - Track Toy
2002 BMW 330i - Newt’s when he is home
2008 Subaru Outback
2008 VW Touareg 2
2010 Subaru Outback
Old 11-08-2018, 01:35 AM

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpeirce View Post
I bought Assetto Corsa for one main reason. Somebody had done a Pitt Race mod, which is my home track. Using it I discovered it is very realistic to drive but very primitive in surrounding environment. I later discovered there were mods for Mid-OH, VIR and WGN. I've driven Mid-OH and it is also very realistic. I can't say for sure about VIR and WGN but watching videos and driving the sim they both seem very good as well. The infrastructure on these three is also very good.

The one big problem for Potomac Region members is nobody has done a Summit Point mod yet. People keep talking about it but nobody has done it. I keep hoping.
Rob, Very interesting which system are you using PC, Xbox or ps4?

The updates to this thread have been very helpful, thanks.

I think we are going to start with this set up (Xbox One, Fanatec CLubsport Bundle, and a Sparco 2000 along with a curved monitor)

18 GT3T -
79 911SC - ROW
74 914/6 2.2 - Vintage Track Car - Project
15 Beetle Conv - Hers

Sold: 997.2 C2S, 88 944, 16 GT4, 13 Boxster, 1973 914/4 2.0, 1980 911SC ROW w/3.2, 77 911S Targa, 1970 914GT 3.2, 71 914/4 2.4, 76 912E, 89 944S2, 1980 924 Turbo, 98 Boxster, 70 911T, 72 914, 75 914, 73 914, 87 944, 74 911, 72 914 - 06 M3, 95 M3, 98 328is, 95 530i, 95 328is

Last edited by Patrick3000; 11-08-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:57 PM

turbo23dog

Karl,

Your set up looks good and will bring much enjoyment in iRacing.

As far as what others say about VR... Many swear by VR but my experience was motion sickness that I could not overcome.

I run in the Spec Racer, Skip Barber and Pro Mazda series and when bored, in the Carb Cup fun races.

Look forward to maybe seeing you in the Sim.

2017 BMW M240 xDrive Vert
2004 BMW 330Ci Coupe (DD)
1996 BMW 328i
2006 Cayenne S
1980 SC Targa (A1R KULD)

Gone but not forgotten:
2010 Boxster S (sold)
2000 Boxster S (sold)
73 911T Targa (sold)
67 912 (sold)
Old 11-10-2018, 11:15 AM

Doc_S

Ok, I'm in..
It hasn't even been a week since VIR and I'm already having withdrawal. With all the talk about iRacing and sim use I decided to give it a shot.

So, I ran down to BestBuy and got a Logitech G920 and shifter ~$260 and a 3 month iRacing subscription, $17. I have a single 27" monitor.

I've spent a couple of hours driving Summit main in a miata and the solstice and done a couple of laps at VIR, (I had to buy that track for $15). I've only done practice sessions by myself. Here are my first impressions.

- First, it is fun to drive, but...
- I find it difficult to place the car exactly where I want it relative to the side of the track. This is probably due to the lack of peripheral vision with the single monitor. Also, you can set the width/angle of the visual field of regard. But it will take some effort to figure out what the distance to the monitor should be for a realistic view. I'm assuming high fidelity sims have this taken care of.
- The G920 does not have a load cell for the brake. There's really no useful brake feel.
- I haven't quite figured how to map/calibrate the steering wheel. I feel like I have to turn the wheel too much to turn the car. I've played around with the settings and its better. But I don't know what settings are most realistic.
- Visual cues aside from the overall site picture aren't completely realistic, but aren't bad. For example the curbing in the VIR scene doesn't look the real thing and there's no curbing outside of turn 3. The Summit scene still has pre-repave patches etc. The details of the overall scenes are just 'different' than the real thing. Distances and velocities don't quite 'feel' right. It probably has to do with my monitor setup.

Again, I think iRacing is fun, and I agree with the all the previous posts about learning the general track and line. But my biggest concerns are this.
1) What bad habits might i pick up from hours of laps on iRacing. I'm most concerned about unconsciously learning something that leads to a big mistake on track.
2) How realistic is iRacing in terms of vehicle performance? Can you really go flat out through the chute in a spec miata or a pontiac solstice? If you want some amusement watch some online vids on how to drive Summit main on iRacing.
3) In regards to 2, as an instructor, have potential students already learned bad habits by driving the track on iRacing to get ready for an HPDE?

Ok, will I stop using it. No, its fun. Racing seat is on the way, and I'll add more monitors. But, I'm trying to use it as a learning tool and understand its limitations and consequences. I've been around computer models and simulations my entire career. These aren't 'new' issues.

2005 Boxster S |1978 Triumph Spitfire |06 Harley VROD | 2008 BMW F800ST
Old 11-10-2018, 11:23 AM

Doc_S

Oh, one last thing. you can heel & toe. But there's no real feedback on how you are doing.

2005 Boxster S |1978 Triumph Spitfire |06 Harley VROD | 2008 BMW F800ST
Old 11-10-2018, 01:40 PM

Der ABT

Go try a fanatec setup....with force feedback etc....its awesome.

Not perfect no...it takes some adjusting to the width of the car, what lockup feels like, it doesnt recover from drifts just right.....but if you are ahead of the car and tell it what you want to do vs waiting for it to react it all comes together.....just like a real car....drive ahead of it.

Oh and program an easy reset button, takes 1 lap to get tires warm no matter what you do.

I tend to send it on simulators, can be funny and frustrating.
2015 E stock national champion
Close Motorsports - Driver Coaching and Data Equipment sales
Website coming soon
Old
http://retaliatemotorsports.blogspot.com/