New-ish LeMons Car - '93 Mustang GT - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » New-ish LeMons Car - '93 Mustang GT

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 01-02-2024, 12:14 PM

tomfree

Quick update, since some of you guys seem to enjoy the crapcan racing stories.

After the initial race at CMP, we took the car to the NJMP Lemons race in June. I couldn't make that event, so we had 2 friends join us to arrive and drive (Dorki @edevinney and one of my long-time NC Lemons buddies). They solved the overheating issue with removing the rear radiator shroud, some air management with foil tape, and a hood vent. Unfortunately, the fuel tank filler neck grommet started leaking fuel on the track, and the team spent much of the event troubleshooting and trying to find parts. Oddly enough a Chrysler Cordoba and a foxbody Mustang use the same filler neck grommet.

We did a couple of DEs in the car over the summer and fall, and finished up the year with the LeMons event at Road Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. Historically, it rains at this event every year...and it rained again. The car ran great, but it was unhappy in the wet. We just could not put down power, so we did our best to turn safe laps and stay out of the way. We managed a 31st place finish in a field of about 125 cars, so our "slow and steady" approach kept us on track and turning enough laps to finish well ahead of some faster cars. I managed to run a 2.5hr shift on Saturday to finish out the day. Not what I'd call fun, but we kept it clean.

We have a few broken parts to fix over the winter, we're planning to build a front splitter, and we will adapt a cheapie eBay wing for the car. We're going to try for a little more wheel and tire as well, as our 245s leave us wishing for more grip.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:54 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Thanks for the report.

Moosetangs from that era are frickin' dangerous in the wet. There's zero weight in the back, and the real tires loose grip very easily.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 01-02-2024, 03:11 PM

tomfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
Thanks for the report.

Moosetangs from that era are frickin' dangerous in the wet. There's zero weight in the back, and the real tires loose grip very easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
OK, track has dried out a lot in the last couple of laps, so I'm going to get on the gas earli......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Weeeeee...let's go sideways...Weeeeeeee!
Yeah, you would be correct.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:59 PM

cmartin

Love it, thanks for sharing

I keep thinking this will bu the year, but I keep living vicariously through posts like this