My new Project 911T - Page 20 - Dorkiphus.net

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothaus View Post
Once it's complete I will drive it. LOL.

Cheers
Engelbert
Only driving I'd be doing is driving it to the truck that's picking it up for it's new millionaire owner.
1999 E46 328i
Old 11-13-2016, 12:03 PM

rothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threads

More on the engine.

The cam housings are cleaned a bit.

I had to drill out one of the exhaust studs.

All the heads are cleaned and bead blasted.

Looking at the crank case, it almost looks like there are inserts for the head studs.

On the right is one of pistons from this engine. I cannot tell who made it, no marks on it. The piston on the left is a Mahle piston.

Short after I got the car I found a set of piston and cylinders.

I measured the set of piston and cylinders and they are out of the specs. The spare set I have is good.

The cylinders from the engine are cast iron, the spare, right in the picture is aluminum.

Here is a picture of the cylinder wall.

I checked the run-out of the crank shaft and it was less than 0.01

Still sorting thru all the parts and see what need to be done.

Cheers
Engelbert

2012 Boxster S
2006 Cayenne S
1984 911 Targa, 3.4L
1982 911 SC
1978 1303 Kaefer Cabrio
1971 911 3.6
1966 912 - Future Project
Old 01-06-2017, 10:04 AM

rothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threads

Getting back on it.

Started sorting out some items and blasted the Cylinder cooling sheets.

And powder coated them. One is missing in the picture. That need some small area repaired.

Small stuff, but there will be more progress coming up soon.

Happy New Year
Engelbert

2012 Boxster S
2006 Cayenne S
1984 911 Targa, 3.4L
1982 911 SC
1978 1303 Kaefer Cabrio
1971 911 3.6
Old 01-06-2017, 10:17 AM

cmartin

Thanks for the update, the tinwork turned out really well.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:38 PM

Noah has one HoF thread

Are you sending the case out to get line-bored and all the rest? My '70T case needed quite a bit of help at the machine shop. BTW the advice I got was that if you switch to aluminum p/c's, you should install squirters in the case. The alum p/c's have closer tolerances than the iron/aluminum ones and temps need to be kept better in check or else you get premature wear.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Are you sending the case out to get line-bored and all the rest? My '70T case needed quite a bit of help at the machine shop. BTW the advice I got was that if you switch to aluminum p/c's, you should install squirters in the case. The alum p/c's have closer tolerances than the iron/aluminum ones and temps need to be kept better in check or else you get premature wear.
Yes, the casing, Crank, cams, heads, rods, rockers, all at Ollie's.

The Case Main bores need aligned ($$), the case already has squirters, will be hot tanked, media tumbled, cleaned, etc. The cams need to re-grind, new bushings for rockers, rods. New valve guides, valves, springs. I hope it will not add more to the list.

I'm still have not decided if I go with Carrera tensioner, or keep it original.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers
Engelbert

2012 Boxster S
2006 Cayenne S
1984 911 Targa, 3.4L
1982 911 SC
1978 1303 Kaefer Cabrio
1971 911 3.6
Old 01-14-2017, 01:29 PM

Noah has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothaus View Post
Yes, the casing, Crank, cams, heads, rods, rockers, all at Ollie's.

The Case Main bores need aligned ($$), the case already has squirters, will be hot tanked, media tumbled, cleaned, etc. The cams need to re-grind, new bushings for rockers, rods. New valve guides, valves, springs. I hope it will not add more to the list.

I'm still have not decided if I go with Carrera tensioner, or keep it original.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers
Engelbert
My bill at Ollie's for the case alone was (gulp) over $2K. Did all the surface planing, line boring, decking, etc, and got pretty much everything timecerted. On the upside I have no oil leaks (tip: use a glaze of 574 on breather cap, chain boxes, chain covers, and sump gasket). As for cams, I went with a Solex/E grind that works really well. Strong midrange like an E but climbs to redline like an S.

As for tensioners, I went through the same considerations. The pressure fed tensioners are crazy expensive now so what I did is get my idler arms rebushed with wide bushings (Henry at Supertec does this for about $140) and used SC tensioners that I rebuilt myself. You should be able to get core tensioners for $100 and the rebuild kits for $40/pair. The wide bushings plus rebuilt SC tensioners is pretty much bulletproof, saves a ton of money, and looks stock.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
My bill at Ollie's for the case alone was (gulp) over $2K. Did all the surface planing, line boring, decking, etc, and got pretty much everything timecerted. On the upside I have no oil leaks (tip: use a glaze of 574 on breather cap, chain boxes, chain covers, and sump gasket). As for cams, I went with a Solex/E grind that works really well. Strong midrange like an E but climbs to redline like an S.

As for tensioners, I went through the same considerations. The pressure fed tensioners are crazy expensive now so what I did is get my idler arms rebushed with wide bushings (Henry at Supertec does this for about $140) and used SC tensioners that I rebuilt myself. You should be able to get core tensioners for $100 and the rebuild kits for $40/pair. The wide bushings plus rebuilt SC tensioners is pretty much bulletproof, saves a ton of money, and looks stock.
Thanks for the hint with the tensioner. I actually have a set of SC tensioner. This sounds like a good option.

I think I will end up the same way with my case, Oh boy.

Cheers
Engelbert

2012 Boxster S
2006 Cayenne S
1984 911 Targa, 3.4L
1982 911 SC
1978 1303 Kaefer Cabrio
1971 911 3.6
Old 01-18-2017, 01:04 AM

Noah has one HoF thread

Here's a pic from my tensioner rebuild. It's actually pretty simple -- some threads on Pelican cover it.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Here's a pic from my tensioner rebuild. It's actually pretty simple -- some threads on Pelican cover it.
Great, Thanks, I will check it out.

Thanks
Engelbert

2012 Boxster S
2006 Cayenne S
1984 911 Targa, 3.4L
1982 911 SC
1978 1303 Kaefer Cabrio
1971 911 3.6