Chin Motorsports at VIR 12/11-12 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Chin Motorsports at VIR 12/11-12

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:15 AM

forklift
Default Chin Motorsports at VIR 12/11-12

Just wondering if anyone is going. It is a bit pricy at $450 for the weekend, but......there is 4-5 hours of track time per day. So the ROI is very good with that amount of track time, although you might need new tires and brake pads by Sunday afternoon! http://chinmotorsports.com/default.asp

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am instructing for them and there are many more instructors than students right now, so I am hoping for more people signing up. There are also plenty of solo openings as well.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim, ex P-car: 93 RSA, G stock #222
Old 11-23-2004, 10:21 AM

Jase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threads

Jim:

Date: 12/11-12/04 at VIR.

Tell us a little more about the group / format / experience / types of cars / tech rqmnts / and ability to get our NOS bottles refilled at the track

Jase

'58 -'76 P-cars
SSPI ~ JScott Racing
Old 11-23-2004, 10:33 AM

Jim Richards

NOS? Hmmm, maybe a winter mod for the pimped out Jetta and track time to boot!
Old 11-23-2004, 11:43 AM

APKhaos

Finally, an event for Rebecca's Acura!

The NOS bottle and Type R stickers can be here in time. Slam it!
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup
Old 11-23-2004, 11:55 AM

forklift

Hi Jase,

This will be my first Chin event, but from everything I have heard they are well run. The best summary of thier events is on the Corvette forum, written by the GM of CMS:

"Chin Motorsports offers 4 big events in the next 6 weeks. CMS is one of the leading track event organizers and driver's education providers in the SE. Get more time on track than any other program in their unique 'Open Track' format. Up to FIVE hours each day for experienced drivers. Entry-level drivers get 3 hours track time, all with a veteran instructor providing in-car coaching, and 2 hours of expert classroom training each day. Be free of the constraining restrictions of run groups! YOU choose when to run, and for how long..."

Here is the link to the Corvette thread with some testamonials: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=936116

Here is the "About" page from CMS: http://chinmotorsports.com/about/about.asp

Sorry I don't have any first hand knowledge. I am a Chin virgin! I think the track is always hot and you can pretty much come and go as you please. One would wonder about "Green" mixed with "Red", but apparently it works out well (after all Christmas is near), and Green students have certain times they can go out. This is because they will have classroom and the instuctors need track time.

Jim

P.S. Probably no NOS, but they have that wonderful 100 proof for $5.50 gallon (or whatever it costs).
Old 11-28-2004, 08:27 PM

forklift

Here is more info. for anyone interested:

"The unique 'open track' format that Chin Motorsports is known for is tried and true, safe and sound, at over 40 track events in the past 5 years. Here's the deal: the traditional rigid run group structure that is familiar to enthusiasts (4 groups, each gets 4 30 min sessions throughout the day, 2 hours total track time) actually has the effect of creating a 'sense of urgency' in drivers, where you're watching the clock, preparing for a session, then you rush to the grid, your session begins, and you rush around the track to get your laps in before the session ends. Too bad if there is an incident creating a black flag forcing everyone to pit; your session is over! Then, you're waiting again, anxious to get back on the track in your next session... We've done away with that, resulting in a completely relaxed atmosphere where you choose when you want to go out, and run for as long as you want. With no pressure on drivers to rush to the grid for a timed session, everyone doesn't go out at once... at any given time, 30%-40% of the field may be in the pits, taking a break, making adjustments, working on their cars. We control track density by limiting enrollment. Instead of the 100+ cars that require a run group format, we SELL OUT our events at 60, and registration is closed. With 60 participants, the most cars likely to be on track at once is maybe 40+... and, we provide top-notch classroom training for entry level drivers, so there are a couple of periods when novices are in classroom, and advanced drivers can go out for some unrestricted lapping. At another time, we ask the advanced drivers to take a break, and the track is open to novices only, so less experienced drivers can familiarize themselves with the track without having to worry about being passed. Our novice drivers are all assigned a veteran instructor for one-on-one in-car coaching for the entire track day. The fact is that, yes, we do mix advanced drivers and novice drivers on the track in the same sessions. We enforce strict point-by passing rules that the faster drivers must be patient for, and the novice drivers must be attentive to as well. At a large, long lap track like VIR, this format is really effective, and you will be surprised at the apparent low track density, and the spirit of cooperation. Our program ends up with a lower incident rate, and is safer, because the lack of pressure to rush through your track day allows drivers to really focus on what's important... not: "when does the next session begin?' but, 'am I making clean laps?' Experienced solo drivers can get up to 6 hours of available track time, entry level drivers have access to 4+ hours on track during the day."
Old 11-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Wow, a DE set up like an enduro Makes me wish I had a BIGGER tank
Maybe Linda will let me use “Renn Mom” or maybe I can get my “active oil leak (the one that triped hot oil on Kurt at Tech)” and the SSIs installed on the ’84 beater...

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 11-29-2004, 10:09 AM

Chopper Dropper

I did a similar event up at Mosport back in June. Howard Dexter organised the event, about $400 + bucks. They shut down for an hour at lunch and that was it. 9 am till 5 pm, run till you drop/no money for more gas(Canadaian Gas is pricey) no rubber left and cords don't grip too well. Students had a big Triangle of tape in the back window. All passing with a signal(they used their indicator lights)Students had class sessions so they were not on the track all the time.Experienced drivers were asked to have a little patience. Cars ranged from Focuses to full race corvettes, super cup porsches and a few enclosed wheel dedicated formula cars. Longest I was held up in a line of about 8 cars was about half a lap or so. People actually looked in their mirrors and for the most part realised that Scotty had not beemed the following car down on your bumper so he must be faster than you.I only saw one black flag when a race car broke down or ran out of gas in a dangerous spot and they had to tow him in. The stewards were hard on anyone reported passing without signal, dangerous to others driving, and not giving a signal. Had a great day!!Then went on to Mt Tremblant and had 3 great days there with Rennsport region PCA.
I did think of doing the Chin event, but December, even in Southern VA is too risky weather wise.Lucked out with one glorious day at VIR with G&W so will skip this .
Dirk
Old 12-09-2004, 01:57 PM

mroberts

So is anyone going ? I'm already registered, but all my local buddies wussed out

I'd be interested in spplitting a hotel room on Friday night with someone.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:52 PM

forklift

all set.