Preliminary VIR DE report - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Preliminary VIR DE report

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 04-07-2003, 09:15 AM

rs911t has one HoF thread
Default Preliminary VIR DE report

8)

When in doubt, always mount a scratch monkey.

1972 911T
TrackVision
Leesburg, VA
Old 04-08-2003, 07:06 PM

APKhaos

Watching Greg over the weekend, I think it went something like this:

:o - We are walking around G&W Motorsports, and touching everything from a Daytona Prototype, an LMP car, an amazing no-expense-spared RS lightweight with gorgeous 935 suspension bits, Fabcar shifter, Kelly-Moss in car adjustable sways and more, any number of fire-breathing cup cars, and G&W are providing food and drinks!!

My first DE run session at VIR on a WET TRACK!!!

8) Hmm the weather turned really nice, the track is dry, and I'm starting to enjoy this!

Just had a gut-wrenching run at silly speeds in my instructor's 930.

Hmm, my green machine is actually faster than some of these high powered modern cars.

Is that a REAL Jaegermeister 962 I just saw in the paddock? Is it really turning laps under 2 minutes??

:o There are two professional race drivers here, and they are taking drivers out for instruction sessions - pretty cool!

I'm really starting to enjoy this. Getting the line down, and the really scary sections are starting to flow better now.

Hmm... Mid Ohio in May sounds really tempting!

I might have missed some, but you get the idea
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup
Old 04-08-2003, 07:14 PM

Marc A

Nice report Tony . . . I hope the faces are similar when I visit VIR in Sept.
'86 951 LS1 (C-2) Gone
'77 911 3.2 (C-1) Gone
3.2 Conversion and 915 Rebuild Home Page
The 958 Conversion
Old 04-08-2003, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Hmm... Mid Ohio in May sounds really tempting!
You must be one of those bad people my mommy warned me about, trying to lead us young and innocent children astray. Bad, bad Tony.

1972 911T
TrackVision
Leesburg, VA
Old 04-08-2003, 11:13 PM

Vicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threads

Glad to see you had some fun.

Mid Ohio is a blast too. Not the same kind of track as VIR, itis more of a racers track. Good flow and well worth the drive.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:15 PM

APKhaos

Now Greg, follow your inner voice......

Just posted this slightly fuller report over on Porsche Talk :

Zone 2 set a new high with this event!

Friday was a serious drive till you drop. Each run session was 45 minutes, and had a primary and a secondary color group. The white sessions had white grid first, but additional blacks were added until the track loading was met. On this basis, there were eight 45 minute sessions avaiable for the super hungry! Weather was superb.

Friday night G&W help an open house, with food & drink and a great range of exotica to drool over - a Daytona Prototype [ran under Red Bull colors at the first race], GrandAm SRPII cars, plenty of fire-breathing Cup cars, and a no expense spared early RS lightweight being built for G&W's owner including gorgeous 935 suspension bits, Fabcar shifter, Kelly-Moss custom in-car adjustable sways and more. Yum Yum!

Saturday dawned colder, with close to 200 drivers registered. The rain started lightly during the first black session, and it poured during the first white session, but then stopped. By lunchtime the track was dry and stayed that way.

Twelve lucky drivers got an instruction/coaching session in car with Chuck Goldsborough of Team Lexus. Chuck also gave a great talk on tires which began with a memorable one-liner "The last time I put air in my tires was 1992" [been using nitrogen since, and here's why....]
A great day, including some spectacular sub-2 minute laps by the Jaegermeister 962. Sweet.

The Zone sponsored food and drinks in the pavillion dining room Saturday evening, with plenty of serious bench racing.

Sunday dawned crisp and clear, and provided another great day. Hugh Plum [SCCA, GrandAm] volunteered to ride with 12 drivers during the day, but ended up running with two separate drivers in almost every white, red and black run session - he was dedicated!

The entire weekend was a great success - no incidents, no losses, and lots of happy track rats. The extra day on Monday looked like being a rain day, although I had to leave Sunday night.

An outstanding effort from Manny, Lynne Eckels and the rest of the Zone 2 team. Everyone I spoke to was planing to be back next year, although this will be a hard act to follow!
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup
Old 04-08-2003, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Now Greg, follow your inner voice......
Oh, my inner voice has been rather shrill the last coupe days. I'll typing a personal reflection as we speak - it'll be up shortly.

1972 911T
TrackVision
Leesburg, VA