IMS Bearings - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:19 PM

Saul_Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog9 View Post
I'm looking for 2005 and newer cars, and have read that the IMS bearing is unserviceable, but that you can remove the bearing seal to allow oil to lubricate the bearing. I'm assuming this is a major Is the IMS issue as bad with the 911's as it was with the Boxter? I havent looked at many cars seriously, but I see little mention of this with the cars I have looked at, and my guess is these cars are being traded in unresolved before the problem develops. Is it best to steer clear of pre 2009 cars?

I purchased a 2005 C2 with 52k miles. I took into consideration the possibility of having to do this and I got a pretty good deal on the car and cosmetically it was perfect. Did a PPI and everything. Car came with fresh oil; I drove it a couple thousand miles and had them pull apart the oil filter for an early oil change.

They found tiny metal particles, and after consulting the master mechanic it was determined the IMS should be done.

I have a 2005 with an engine build date of 2004. It was a serviceable single row bearing. Now, mine was more expensive because it’s a tiptronic but it cost me roughly $5600 if I recall correctly. Dropping the engine and tranny, pulling it apart, replacing some belts and a new AOS.

I installed a magnetic drain plug and drive the hell out of it.

I hope people remember even the IMS “solution” is not warranted beyond 10k I think. The master mechanic with 30+ years of working on Porsche’s recommenced the retrofit anyway.

In hindsight it was expensive but at least the car is documented and I think represents more value should I decide to swap it out.

Just my $0.02