My new 911SC - Dorkiphus.net

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 09-22-2003, 12:54 AM
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Parenn911 has one HoF thread
Default My new 911SC

Hello DC Porscheheads. I just got back from Colorado last week which consisted of driving my new 1979 911SC coupe all the way back to Gaithersburg. It was a fun 1,625 miles cross country drive with no problems, the recently rebuilt motor ran beautifully and never left me stranded. I am currently trying to tackle some projects to gat my baby past inspection. It failed because it needed a battery brace, catalytic converter, air pump, new front rotors, and a rear seat belts. If anyone has any of these parts that they would be willing to sell, please let me know, thanks. Looking forward to the fun runs. Tim slow down HAHA.
Pari
Old 09-22-2003, 07:31 AM

Jim Richards

Pari, congrats on your new car! How about some pictures?

Sorry I can't help with parts. I think PCA Potomac is having a swap meet soon. Also keep your eyes on e-bay, Pelican Parts classified ads, Rennlist classifieds, and PCA Potomac's classifieds.

Enjoy that car!
Old 09-22-2003, 09:03 AM

Justin Fischer

Some of your problems sound specific to emmissions, If you can wait 2 1/2 months your car should be exempt from emmissions (I'm assuming that MD is the same as VA, and stops emmission testing once a car is 25 years old). Might want to check it out.

-Justin
Old 09-22-2003, 11:04 AM

William Miller

That's about right. I remember I have one more inspection to go in 4/05 for my 83 SC.

I recall something about historic cars only being allowed to be driven a limited # of miles?

There is a book or some other info posted at the station and I also recall the web site. Do a search for MD Emissions.

If you are in a hurry, I might lend you the seat belts and brace for a day.
You'll probably want new rotors.
I guess the belts are just held in by 4 bolts.
Looks like you are close by. I live in Darnestown.
'08 335i Blue Sedan
'05 Chevy Tahoe green
'98 Jeep Cherokee XJ "Blue"
'01 Toyota 4 Runner "Pearl"

Darnestown, Maryland
Old 09-22-2003, 12:03 PM

Rich L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Fischer
...(I'm assuming that MD is the same as VA, and stops emmission testing once a car is 25 years old)...

-Justin
I couldn't find any info on the MVA website about a 25 year exemption. But, I hope it's true. My car would be exempt in '04.

Pari,
Congrats on the new car. I would try another place for your state inspection. I'm surprised they know your car had a cat and pump. You may still have the sticker on the underside of your engine lid that points it out in a diagram. BTW, mine passed without either. Also, I seem to recall someone telling me rear seat belts were an option in '79...not standard equipment. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Site Admin

Charlie Stylianos has disabled reputation

Pari,

I have a set of used solid SC rotors front and rear if you are interested. I didnt notice and cracks upon removal or brake pedal vibration, so I don't think they are warped. They have been sitting in the garage for a while nad have collected a little rust, but easily removed. Probably can take them down to your local Auto Zone and they can (well used to) turn them for free.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:01 AM
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Thanks Guys for the advice. I have two new front rotors that I am going to try to put on myself, I am also going to need new wheel bearings eventually. My alternator belt is too tight and needs to be adjusted, I figure I will take it to someone else who will inspect it and not be picky about all of the little things. Hey William, I love driving through Darnestown, you will probably hear me coming before you see me, the Bursch sounds beautiful. My car is tobacco brown, hope to seeing you around the Quince Orchard and Kentlands area.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:42 AM

William Miller

Finally got mine back on the road last night.
It's an 83SC Cab Burgendy
There's a good mechanic in downtown G-berg.
He's posted many times on PCA and written several articles for DV.
I see his add in there every so often.
His name is Matt DeMaria. His business is called Struttgart Performance Engineering, 423 East Diamond Avenue, 301-948-6762
Matt is a one man shop and I really think he knows his stuff.
You'll probably leave a message on his machine and he'll call you back.
He does most work by appointment only. Very reasonable prices.
He has a exhaust gass anylizer and a Ocilliscope and everything else you can imagine or need crammed into his shop.
He helped me last fall getting thru Emissions. He welded the hub on my fan and helped me diagnose the many problems I had on my car.

He is very precise and knows what he is working on.

If your looking for a good down to earth mechanic he's you guy.
I know he can help you with the emissions and other inspection check list stuff. Maybe give you some more tips on how to get it thru.

Did the emissions guy's tell you that if you spend a certain amount on repairs the car would be exempt if it fails the next inspection?
Unfortunately I recall that this does not include the cost of missing equiptment.
I did ask if the work had to be done at a "Certified emission repair facility"
They told me that that certification is a voulntary program and that you could go to any mechanic to get the work done and or do it yourself. (the cost of the parts would apply.)

On the age exemption. Even thought it's not posted on the site. They will give you the info at the Emmissions Test station. There is a booklet that explains what tests are done depending on the type and age of the vehicle.

Did you actually fail the emissions test or was it failed for some reason on the safety inspection.

If you were missing equiptment on the emissions test, it might now be noted in your file on their computer. I'm not sure, but I hope that's not the case.

I hope this all helps! Good luck!
'08 335i Blue Sedan
'05 Chevy Tahoe green
'98 Jeep Cherokee XJ "Blue"
'01 Toyota 4 Runner "Pearl"

Darnestown, Maryland
Old 09-23-2003, 06:07 PM
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Hey William, Nice to hear that you are able to hit the road again in your SC. Yeah, the problem was not with an actual emissions inspection, rather the MD inspector at the place I took it too said he won't pass it through MD inspections without the Cat., and air pump. I am just thinking of taking my 911SC to someone who knows Porshces and get them to inspect it. Thanks for Matt's info. I will have to check him out, its great that he is so close by. Let me know if you ever want to meet up and check out cars.
Thanks,
Pari
Old 09-23-2003, 11:55 PM
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Thanks for the compliments everyone .
Charlie, thanks for the offer on the brake rotors, but I have some new ones that came with the car. If you know of any rear selt belts anyone has lying around please let me know. My baby is running real lean, so I took her to Karosserie and had them change the plugs. The 911 was having a warm start problem. She got a little richer and runs better. Hope to see you on the 28th....Pari