Porsche pre-owned website - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Porsche pre-owned website

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:54 AM

JoeG
Default Porsche pre-owned website

Anyone notice the change to the Porsche pre-owned website?

Whoever designed should find a new career.

A major step backwards!

Is the old one still available?

Last edited by JoeG; 05-13-2018 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 AM

Casey914 has two HoF threadsCasey914 has two HoF threads

I complained to Porsche internally when it went away. Unfortunately it is no longer available to the mass market. it is available to me as a dealer but it is way more difficult to use.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:05 PM

JoeG

It was an industry leading site and sad to see it go away. My hypothesis is that to maintain high level of profitability when making major investments into electric cars and digitalization they've changed the site to attract more traffic into the dealerships with the hopes of increasing the sale of new cars instead of making it easy to find a used one.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:47 AM

Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
Anyone notice the change to the Porsche pre-owned website?

Whoever designed should find a new career.

A major step backwards!

Is the old one still available?
The new one is absolutely awful. I get the feeling that they are trying to drive traffic to dealer websites and making it harder to do broader geographical searches. Sad. The old one wasn't perfect but it was pretty useful, especially for hunting down a car with specific options.

This link still works for the moment, though:

http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/usa/...8BA8XV&styp_=s
2012.5 Carrera S (991) (Sold)
2006 Corvette Coupe (Sold)
2000 Corvette Coupe (Sold)
Old 05-15-2018, 09:48 AM

Hurricane

Quote:
It was an industry leading site and sad to see it go away. My hypothesis is that to maintain high level of profitability when making major investments into electric cars and digitalization they've changed the site to attract more traffic into the dealerships with the hopes of increasing the sale of new cars instead of making it easy to find a used one.
I get that, but I also thought they were making a nice bit of money on CPO cars, making a profit on selling a car more than once. Oh well. I hope Porsche will see the error of its ways but I doubt it...
Old 05-15-2018, 07:01 PM

JoeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
The new one is absolutely awful. I get the feeling that they are trying to drive traffic to dealer websites and making it harder to do broader geographical searches. Sad. The old one wasn't perfect but it was pretty useful, especially for hunting down a car with specific options.

This link still works for the moment, though:

http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/usa/...8BA8XV&styp_=s
The link works but it appears not to be linked to a database as I get 0 hits

I think you're right its about economics. Have you ever explored the Porsche Annual Report interactive graphs?

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/annu...port-2017.html

Its excellent and provides multiple options to view the data sort of like the retired pre-owned vehicle search site.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:25 PM

BillC has one HoF thread

This may come back to bite Porsche. Part of the "value" in their cars is a relatively high resale value for their used cars. And depreciation rates are often part of what new-car buyers consider when picking which new car to buy.

You need buyers for the used cars to maintain those values -- if buyers can't easily find a used Porsche they want, they'll go buy something else, possibly some other brand. If there are no buyers for used Porsches, then the resale values will drop and new-car buyers will wonder if they really want to spend that much money on a Porsche when some other brand might represent a better value.

Take McLarens for example. Fantastic cars, but they depreciate like a dropped rock. I've read a number of online discussions of whether or not to buy a used McLaren, with the potential buyers getting scared away by the rapid depreciation and then looking for something else instead.

Plus, Porsche has said multiple times that used Porsches are the "gateway cars" toward new Porsches (this is the "reason" why they won't introduce a car under the Boxster/Cayman). If buyers can't find the used Porsches they want, why should they bother with a new Porsche?

Previous:
1973 914 1.7 1/4 impulse
2012 Cayman R warp 4
2006 Cayman S warp 3
1999 SPB warp 2, maybe
1966 911 warp 1.5
Old 05-15-2018, 10:33 PM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

That's why I have never purchased a brand new McLaren.
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles
Old 05-16-2018, 09:47 AM

Hurricane

Quote:
The link works but it appears not to be linked to a database as I get 0 hits

I think you're right its about economics. Have you ever explored the Porsche Annual Report interactive graphs?

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/annu...port-2017.html

Its excellent and provides multiple options to view the data sort of like the retired pre-owned vehicle search site.
It works for me - I put in 911 GTS with no zip code (national search) and it comes back with 81 cars. A search for 911 Carrera S comes up with 292 entries. Refine that search to blue PDK coupes, for example, and I get 11 cars.

Thanks for the link to the annual report - I love reading through the charts and graphs.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 AM

Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
This may come back to bite Porsche. Part of the "value" in their cars is a relatively high resale value for their used cars. And depreciation rates are often part of what new-car buyers consider when picking which new car to buy.

You need buyers for the used cars to maintain those values -- if buyers can't easily find a used Porsche they want, they'll go buy something else, possibly some other brand. If there are no buyers for used Porsches, then the resale values will drop and new-car buyers will wonder if they really want to spend that much money on a Porsche when some other brand might represent a better value.

Take McLarens for example. Fantastic cars, but they depreciate like a dropped rock. I've read a number of online discussions of whether or not to buy a used McLaren, with the potential buyers getting scared away by the rapid depreciation and then looking for something else instead.

Plus, Porsche has said multiple times that used Porsches are the "gateway cars" toward new Porsches (this is the "reason" why they won't introduce a car under the Boxster/Cayman). If buyers can't find the used Porsches they want, why should they bother with a new Porsche?
You make some excellent points, especially about maintaining resale value (especially when new Porsches are so crazily priced as it is). I remember the quote not long ago when asked if there would be a Porsche below the Boxster/Cayman and the reply was that they already have an entry-level car - it's called CPO Porsche.

I drove four states over to pick up my last CPO Porsche. Local inventory is sometimes good, sometimes not so good. A LOT of new buyers of CPO Porsches are willing to shop out of state. Make it harder for them to do so and you risk driving them to other brands or to seek used Porsches from other sources (for example, I picked up my first 911 through CARMAX - Porsche [and a Porsche dealer] didn't get to make any CPO money off of that deal).

Heck, I am a success story for Porsche and drank the freakin' Kool-Aide - I bought a used 911, then a CPO one...and then finally bit the bullet and bought a new one.

Last edited by Hurricane; 05-16-2018 at 09:58 AM.