Welder Shopping - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:06 PM

ducatithunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
In the trades and forums Everlast is referred to as NeverLast. I have 0 experience.
I’ve had a great experience with mine. A lot of guys rave about the 210 and above units. I know the older knob versions were not user friendly. The older ones ran cheaper inverters vs the new ones ... up to 5 year or so . If Jody thinks it’s a great machine I would seriously take what the forums say with a grain of salt. I can rattle off a few other big youtube fab guys that like everlast. . I use large syncrowave and dynasty machines at work. Just a bare bone dynasty is 4K minus a torch and pedal. My everlast does everything the dynasty will for half the price. Upgrade the torch and pedal and your good. There is a fair amount of weld ready bang for your buck in the everlast unit for what you get. The 2 torchs that come wth it are not too of the line but do the job. Just my two cents.

I have have a large Lincoln and had millers in the past. Both are good. Nowadays everything is coming from overseas anyways. No doubt miller and Lincoln will be around in 10 years when you need a part. Maybe they won’t have the part. It’s all a gamble. Worth paying 2x or more for the same warranty or ease of finding part .... that’s all in the eye of the OP.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)

Last edited by ducatithunder; 12-01-2020 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:32 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Agree^. More so if residential use. Sounds like Everlast has dialed things in and is well backed. I have a hankering for an inverter tig so I can have frequency adjustment. Is nice to be able to tighten up the arc in corners. Might take a look at the smaller inverters now that they are mature tech and common.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:06 AM

cmartin

Thats something else I've been ready (too much) about. General line of thinking seems to be the inverter gear is the modern, more efficient, more adjustable approach. But also more $$ to fix when it needs it, sort of like a simple set of points and condenser vs coils and ecu or control boards. There seems to be a pretty good market for name brand gear, but you have to be quick, know what you are doing and be a lit lucky I think.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:38 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Name brand is more than just Big Red and Big Blue now too. just not the stuff tool truck stuff or Horrible Fright.

I have not been machine shopping or on the welding forums for some time but a bit ago was thinking about a small inverter tig. Something I can focus a better than the copper winding Syncrowave and move around with something smaller than a forklift.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:56 AM

ducatithunder

If anything upgrading for a better duty cycle and power consumption. A lot of the new inverters can run on 10awg or 12awg. My Lincoln requires a dedicated 6/2 feeder.

I almost bought a used diversion unit years ago. It was a transformer machine. The size and power usage was enough to look at a inverter.

The pulse and freq control is nice. More so for welding thin metal. I’m a firm believer that everyone should learn to weld without any advance controls. Learn technique then expand to the advance settings.

Again all depends on your goals and needs.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)

Last edited by ducatithunder; 12-03-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:25 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

All about the puddle!

Shakespeare.

You Matter.