Porsche Experience - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Porsche Experience

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:27 AM

nylart
Default Porsche Experience

I'll be in Atlanta later this month and am thinking about doing the Porsche Driving Experience. For those of you who have done this already, did you think it was worth it, which cars did you drive, any tips?

TIA

Art
Old 10-01-2018, 12:25 PM
He HIT me.

Fumes

waste of money imho. I did Masters Plus in Alabama. Wish I had that money back.

2012 987.2 R (endless build)
2009 997.2 C2S
2012 F-150 (tow)
---
2013 991.1 C2 (sold)
2013 335i (RIP)
2001 4Runner (left by side of road in Georgia)
1990 Legend LS (RIP)
1988 Toyota 2WD reg cab (donated)
1987 GTi (sold)
1990 (TOM)Celica GTS (RIP)
Old 10-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumes View Post
waste of money imho. I did Masters Plus in Alabama. Wish I had that money back.
Have an upcoming business trip in ATL later this year so I looked into PDE. This was my take away - $400 to drive a Cayman for an hour in what looks to be a HPDC. No thanks.
1999 E46 328i
Old 10-01-2018, 12:32 PM
Cushion Convector

BMAN

I did the mid vs rear engine comparison and drove a Boxster S and Carrera 4S. I wish it would have been RWD vs RWD, so that was a bit goofy but overall I was happy with this option because I got to drive more than one car. The open lapping is on a pretty tight, short circuit so I am not sure I would have been any happier in a GT3/4. Skid plate and skid pad are fun. The concrete twisty course was meh.. As I recall, the instructor lets you decide where you want to spend most of your time, so that was cool.

The facility is impressive with some museum grade cars on display. They also have a Classic restoration area which was interesting. So allow some, not a lot, of time to look around. There's a nice café that overlooks the courses.
'72 E
'80 Weissach SC
'94 C2
'05 996 GT3 CUP
'09 White Winged Cayman S (Hers, all hers!)
'11 GTS/C4S Donuts
'15 Boxster S #Blubyu
Old 10-01-2018, 01:12 PM

ChaosRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN View Post
I did the mid vs rear engine comparison and drove a Boxster S and Carrera 4S. I wish it would have been RWD vs RWD, so that was a bit goofy but overall I was happy with this option because I got to drive more than one car. The open lapping is on a pretty tight, short circuit so I am not sure I would have been any happier in a GT3/4. Skid plate and skid pad are fun. The concrete twisty course was meh.. As I recall, the instructor lets you decide where you want to spend most of your time, so that was cool.

The facility is impressive with some museum grade cars on display. They also have a Classic restoration area which was interesting. So allow some, not a lot, of time to look around. There's a nice café that overlooks the courses.
+1 to this.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:55 PM

Robert in Potomac

I did the PDE at Barber Motorsports and it served my needs, which was to switch from driving Boxsters to a 911. I had never driven a 911 at speed and I was able to convince the dealer to throw in the PDE when I bought my turbo. The instructors are excellent, using mostly a lead and follow approach, which works better for me. I am not certain that the cost is worth the experience, but for what I payed, it was well worth it.