Do you have a composite deck? - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Do you have a composite deck?

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 12-13-2007, 12:14 PM

dhshivers

Check with Don Newton at dnewton12@cox.net. He knows all about that stuff.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Pro DE driver

good hands

My deck was constructed with evergrain a couple of years ago and I love it. Asbolutely no problems , no maintence, no splinters, no termites etc. I think if this is a home you are going to live in for a long time it is worth the extra investment. If you plan on moving at any point in the near future you will not recover the extra cost.

2014 GTB1 World Champion
8 Time National DE champion

88 911 Cup
13 Boxster S
1969 Saab Sonett
2005 Cayenne
2013 Cayenne
2014 F150
Hurricane race trailer with A/C
05 Cup car
02 Koni 996
Old 12-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

(Merged my thread into the old composite decking thread SMD pointed out.)

Talked to my supplier; the said Trex was bottom of the barrel stuff and to look at Evergrain or TimberTech. So far, TimberTech is the leading choice based on appearance.

Lucky - did you install the decking yourself or (gasp) pay someone to do it? Kind of curious about fasteners/install process.
1999 E46 328i
Old 12-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Lemming

KFJ has one HoF thread

We have Evergrain on exposed decklets to either side of a screened porch. It's been great - it does get some mold spots but a quick spray with a powerwasher gets the spots off. I understand there are some treatments that can be applied to prevent the mold too. Mine was done with hidden fasteners (basically a clamp mounted to the joist and attached to each board). We did it mostly for aesthetic value as it keeps the surface nice and clean.
01 Audi A6 - gone...

Things are made of stuff -Bill Nye
Old 12-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFJ View Post
We have Evergrain on exposed decklets to either side of a screened porch. It's been great - it does get some mold spots but a quick spray with a powerwasher gets the spots off. I understand there are some treatments that can be applied to prevent the mold too. Mine was done with hidden fasteners (basically a clamp mounted to the joist and attached to each board). We did it mostly for aesthetic value as it keeps the surface nice and clean.
If you don't want the decking boards to warp, use screws. And preferably stainless steel ones

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 12-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Chris

My deck is made out of a composite. I think it's Trex. I had it done 3 years ago and it is nice stuff. I did get the spots as well. I bought some cleaner and cleaned it. (The cleaner is safe for the composite and is mostly bleach ). I forgot the original color of he deck it's so clean.

The only issue was that they couldn't build uprights (not even pickets) out of the trex so it was wood & a trex deck/railing. After I cleaned it, I spent all summer staining it. What an awful job. with all the pickets and lattice it took forever, but it looks nice now.

No flex issues for me and the surface is nice and smooth. I can walk on it with no shoes, no issues.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:26 PM
nothing here, move along

Lucky has three HoF threadsLucky has three HoF threadsLucky has three HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
Lucky - did you install the decking yourself or (gasp) pay someone to do it? Kind of curious about fasteners/install process.
I (gasp) used a contractor. You should come over and see my deck... then you would understand why it wasn't a DIY job.

Here's some pointers I got from the guys that did my deck. Some they told me, one is obvious two years later and due to their ignorance.

Composite decking is VERY HARD on saw blades. It will dull saw blades very quickly unless they are top quality carbide tipped blades. You also need to cut slowly to avoid overheating the material and causing it to melt. Most of the composite decking manufacturers recommend blades that have 2 to 3 teeth per inch, which helps fight overheating.

Use the manufacturers recommended fastening system, which may include stainless brackets and screws. Don't skimp on fasteners or you will not be happy 10 or 20 years from now when the decking still looks great but all of the fasteners have turned to iron oxide dust.

Make sure you don't end up with dust/particles clogging the weep holes in the decking. Especially not composite particles, which will not degrade. Since the composite decking is water proof, you will end up with standing water in low areas of your deck if the weep holes get clogged. I have an area on my deck that has this problem -- my installers cut some of the boards while on top of the portion of deck they already installed... end result about 1/3 of my deck does not drain well. Idiots.

Power wash with a cleaner once or twice a year. It's about time to do mine... it recently developed some spotting (mold, I guess) during the recent cold/damp weather. I've only power washed mine once since installing & it cleaned up beautifully.

Good luck with your project. As others have said -- wood will be initially cheaper, but will require regular maintenance to remain good looking and splinter free. The benefits of composite are many and I think well worth the extra cost.

BTW, I also used a vinyl clad railing system. Near zero maintenance, but some might not like the plasticy look/feel to it. Me, I like it.

Slowly shopping for a 991 or 981...
'20 RAM 1500 Laramie
'19 X3
'16 Camaro RS
'00 Boxster S
'86 Carrera Coupe
'85 Jaguar XJS v12
'88 Integra RS
'74 Toyota Celica GT
'69 Camaro
Old 12-13-2007, 08:39 PM
nothing here, move along

Lucky has three HoF threadsLucky has three HoF threadsLucky has three HoF threads
Default Some pics...

Chris,

Here are a couple of pics of my deck while being built... so you can see how the decking looks.

Name:  deck.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  deck2.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  24.5 KB

Slowly shopping for a 991 or 981...
'20 RAM 1500 Laramie
'19 X3
'16 Camaro RS
'00 Boxster S
'86 Carrera Coupe
'85 Jaguar XJS v12
'88 Integra RS
'74 Toyota Celica GT
'69 Camaro
Old 12-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Lemming

KFJ has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
If you don't want the decking boards to warp, use screws. And preferably stainless steel ones
Why would they warp? They are manufactured to use the hidden fasteners and held down in the same spot a screw would hold them down (i.e., each joist).
01 Audi A6 - gone...

Things are made of stuff -Bill Nye
Old 12-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFJ View Post
Why would they warp? They are manufactured to use the hidden fasteners and held down in the same spot a screw would hold them down (i.e., each joist).
I dunno. All I know is I've seen a bunch of warped synthetic wood decking and trim while perofrming facade and balcony inspections for work. The material seems more inherently unstable then reqular wood. Where I've seen decking installed with screws, I have not noticed the warping.

Since there are no real standards (i.s., ASTM, etc.) on these products yet, material properties vary substantially between manufacturers, and the manufacturers also they also do not provide much information in the way of engineering properties.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...