Date code wheels - Dorkiphus.net

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 07-07-2023, 02:51 PM

PaintRacer
Default Date code wheels

I am restoring my 1970 Porsche 911T and was wondering what everyone thinks about having the proper date coded Fuchs wheels. Want to make it as period correct but deep 6 wheels with and without hearts are off the charts $$. I have deep sixes on it but from different years. No one is going to know but I'm thinking long term when I sell it .Or I already know the answer some will care some will not. Wrong year less sale price -correct year more money. Anyway let me know what you all think. Thanks
'77 911S
'73 914-6 conversion
Old 07-07-2023, 07:57 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Depends of the rest of the car. 20 foot driver? No mater. Pebble beach trailer queen? Matters.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:29 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintRacer View Post
I am restoring my 1970 Porsche 911T and was wondering what everyone thinks about having the proper date coded Fuchs wheels. Want to make it as period correct but deep 6 wheels with and without hearts are off the charts $$. I have deep sixes on it but from different years. No one is going to know but I'm thinking long term when I sell it .Or I already know the answer some will care some will not. Wrong year less sale price -correct year more money. Anyway let me know what you all think. Thanks
You can always purchase orphans, one wheel at a time, to complete a set of wheels with the correct date codes. This is probably your best option if you want to save a few $$$

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 07-11-2023, 08:47 AM

Dandelion

Just some random thoughts:
- There are many reasons why date codes wouldn't match each other or the chassis right from the factory. Wheels would get made and sit around for some period of time - especially in the 60s/70s when inventories were larger. (Obvs the wheels can't have later manufacture dates than the chassis.) Example - one wheel of a set gets damaged while on the assembly line - they are just going to find another wheel to replace it, and it would be unlikely that they would replace all 4.

- You couldn't even prove a set of wheels came on the car from the factory unless Porsche documentation is that anal (which is a possibility for sure).

- Seems to me that "period correct" is a small step down from "factory original", especially if it is consistent with the verified date code ranges in actual production (if such data even exists.)

ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 07-11-2023, 04:14 PM

Hunter

And there goes Ed again, inserting common sense!

2023 Audi Q7 Daily Driver
Considering next Porsche
1990 964, Red, Number 692 (Misty) sold
2010 Trailex (Dusty) sold
2003 996, (Speedy) Grey sold

Life is short; just drive....... (boat, bike, etc.)