996 in an 89 Carrera, wiring driver seat - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » 996 in an 89 Carrera, wiring driver seat

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:36 PM

steve911T
Default 996 in an 89 Carrera, wiring driver seat

Sorry to bring this up again (after looking at the previous posts), has anyone tried wiring in the driver seat. See a copy of my post below from pelican.

The problem is not the mounting or the electric on the passenger seat, it is the driver seat electric that, from going through the last 7 years of PP posts, has not been solved ( at least by most mortals on the PP website). What I am going to do is to make a panel that will have 4 DPDT switches to control each motor directly. There is a post where that was done with success. The switches on the driver seat cannot be used due to the fact it is actuated with a 5V power source somewhere located in the 996. I have a few ideas to try but the DPDT switches seem the most likely, cheapest and easiest solution. I did make the brackets to fit the existing mounts on the Carrera and can shoot you picts and dimensions if you would like.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve
16 Subaru Forester
03 F-150 (47500 miles)
Old 04-03-2014, 04:06 PM

BobNovas

jeez, i'll sell you my 88 Carrera electric seats cheap.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound!
Old 04-03-2014, 04:57 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve911T View Post
The switches on the driver seat cannot be used due to the fact it is actuated with a 5V power source somewhere located in the 996. I have a few ideas to try but the DPDT switches seem the most likely, cheapest and easiest solution.
To me, simply installing a 5V power source and using the original switches would be much, much easier. 12v to 5v switching converters are so common it's not funny (hint: every USB car adapter is one).

What more do you know about the circuit?
1999 E46 328i
Old 04-03-2014, 10:00 PM

steve911T

Chris, two threads with more info. Second one has schematics. There is another thread somewhere on Pelican that has the seat control schematics. Thanks for any help. Steve

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...early-car.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-87-coupe.html
16 Subaru Forester
03 F-150 (47500 miles)