Sebring PCA Club Race (CR) Report - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Sebring PCA Club Race (CR) Report

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:08 PM

Jase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threads
Default Sebring PCA Club Race (CR) Report

Sebring weather was iffy on arrival but the rain held off for most of the practice sessions, 45 minute races and 90 minute enduros (at least the ones we were in). This CR was run in conjunction with a DE (sessions were intermixed). 225 total P-cars were there for some FL fun.

I ran the IROC in Green (no correlation to DE colors ) and Jim (my father) ran the 68 in Blue.

The players ... pointed at the position pole in turn #1:

Gratuitous team shot:

We really need those team shirts ... which I promise we'll get before RS II

Practice, qualifying and the sprint race went without incident for the IROC and almost for the 68. Unfortunately, this is what happens to a 2.0L over 9,500 rpm :

More gore shots in the gallery (Jase007) as well as car / track shots (page 3 and 4). Needless to say, we replaced three broken rockers, fired it up, drove around the paddock and access road. Everything "seemed" fined but, prudence won and we parked it for the enduro. Also discovered the starter wasn't working on the IROC. This presented a problem b/c the 90 minute enduro mandatory 5 minute pit-stop requires a shut down to re-fuel...IF you refuel in the hot pits

Red enduro pack of cars on front straight (not anyone I know or us as 68 was parked):

I started the 90 minute without a co-driver (Jim flew back to CT). I ran an hour, got into the mid 2:20's (car is capable of 2:16 or lower). Cool-suit saved my ass but not my hands (wet gloves down before enduro with water for better grip on steering wheel - they dry out as you race). Came in for my pit ... re-fueled and was ready to go back out for the last 20+/- minutes.

I thought about it for a minute ... hands, ice in cool suit gone, sweated off a few lbs (beneficial side effect ) and ... decided to park it. Save the car for another day to race again. Usually, even if the body is willing a mental mistake will happen (e.g. grab 2nd rather than 4th coming down from 5th on the front straight ). I was satisfied with my times, the race was great, the car was in one piece, the weather beautiful and RS II is only a couple of months away...

Thanks for the bandwidth.

Jase

[/img]

'58 -'76 P-cars
SSPI ~ JScott Racing
Old 02-17-2004, 08:20 PM

APKhaos

Great stuff Jason!

The IROC must be a dead set blast to drive, especially in a field packed with competitive cars. You guys prepare a nice collection of race cars. We need you to get some on-board video and DL-90 data collection in those cars so we can enjoy the ride.
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup
Old 02-17-2004, 08:21 PM

Doug E

Jase -

Thanks for sharing and it sounds like everything turned out OK in the end.

Glad to hear the cars are in one piece and ready to go for RR II ... can't wait to see them in action again come 4/23
Old 02-17-2004, 08:43 PM

Jase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threads

Thanks Tony / Doug.

Tony: that could be you in the red enduro next year (mark your calendar) ... there were a TON of FEWCs there, several from MD / VA / DC who, I am sure, are Potomac members. Saw Manny and Aubrey from Potomac as well.

I am "working on" getting a video and DL in the 356 for RS II. We had a digital mini-camera in the IROC for about two seasons before the vibration killed it. I have some video from Daytona (Jim), SP (me) LRP (me), and a few other tracks but it hasn't been converted (off the tape).

Doug: we'll have three cars there for RS II (fingers crossed as the IROC and the 68 are running a "non 13/13" race in between Sebring PCA and RS II) to keep us busy. I was hoping to get more paddock / car shots but, had to much going on with practice / qualifying / race / repair / refuel / re-tire / rehydrating, etc...

The Racer's group was there. Ran with them in my enduro. Tom Bobbett (sp) was there in his cup car as well as Henk Wisker and Dave Coleman in their cars (996 Cup and 914-6). Had dinner with them one night and really enjoyed their "racing" stories

Jase

'58 -'76 P-cars
SSPI ~ JScott Racing
Old 02-17-2004, 09:03 PM

rs911t has one HoF thread

Quote:
I am "working on" getting a video and DL in the 356 for RS II.
Consider it done!

When in doubt, always mount a scratch monkey.

Leesburg, VA
Old 02-17-2004, 09:11 PM

Thanks Greg.

Now I'll really have to pay attention to that shift light

Jase

'58 -'76 P-cars
SSPI ~ JScott Racing
Old 02-17-2004, 09:14 PM

BW911

Very cool Jase. Looks like a blast.

Bill
Old 02-17-2004, 09:17 PM

Jim Richards

It's always a pleasure to live vicariously thru you guys.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:21 PM

rs911t has one HoF thread

Quote:
Now I'll really have to pay attention to that shift light
Well, not necessarily. Folks like interesting footage. We'll make sure to setup a 2nd camera looking backwards, just in case ...

When in doubt, always mount a scratch monkey.

Leesburg, VA
Old 02-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Please don't say "case" when you are talking about a overrev.

Glad that all that let go were some rockers, that is the cheap end of an overrev.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.