Generators - Page 10 - Dorkiphus.net

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 PM

Fairfax 944 has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
I can't believe for an instant that thing meets code.
They seem to imply that it does meet code:
http://www.interlockkit.com/warranty01.htm
Attached Images

Last edited by Fairfax 944; 11-01-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Ugh. Please use a transfer switch and wire your generator up correctly. Getting this stuff wrong has consequences. Not "oh no I blew a breaker" or even "oops, I fried my new generator" consequences, but "I killed a lineman" consequences.
1999 E46 328i
Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Moonshine Tester

tdatk has one HoF thread

Quote:
Ugh. Please use a transfer switch and wire your generator up correctly. Getting this stuff wrong has consequences. Not "oh no I blew a breaker" or even "oops, I fried my new generator" consequences, but "I killed a lineman" consequences.
Chris,
I rarely disagree with you on anything, but this arrangement, without a doubt meets NEC code. It has a mechanical interlock to prevent either circuit breaker from being on at the same time, I've seen much larger switch gear with essentially the same arrangement and they are just fine as long as they are physically intact. I've been an industrial electrician for over 25 years now so i can say with some authority that this is safe if installed as shown. Local code "may" require a transfer switch, but NEC does not.
82 911 SC (sold missed)
90 C2 (sold missed)
87 928 S4 (sold)
85.5 9 fofo (sold )
Old 11-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatk View Post
Chris,
I rarely disagree with you on anything, but this arrangement, without a doubt meets NEC code. It has a mechanical interlock to prevent either circuit breaker from being on at the same time, I've seen much larger switch gear with essentially the same arrangement and they are just fine as long as they are physically intact. I've been an industrial electrician for over 25 years now so i can say with some authority that this is safe if installed as shown. Local code "may" require a transfer switch, but NEC does not.
Yeah, you're right. I know electrically this can be done correctly. It's the big red IF is the part that worries me. It just seems very hack-ish to me, that's all. When dealing with things that could unsuspectingly kill people, I always advise to pay the money and do it right.

To me its kind of like the harness bar vs roll bar debate for DEs. A harness bar is fine IF installed correctly, but when it comes to safety I'm a "no shortcuts" kind of person.
1999 E46 328i
Old 11-02-2012, 12:58 AM

Eric S

Thanks for the ideas, links and recommendations; it appears that I should be able to install a safe, reasonably straightforward, and cosmetically satisfactory solution.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
Yes there are. Unless you have a big azz genset you don't switch the entire house grid over and a Honda 2000 is not a big genset. y
You can get a tie in point installed in the basment and wires run to the service panel. In the basment you will have a box that has a big resessed plug and a row of switches. you run a power cable from the genset to the plug on the box and then flip the switches one at a time changing over from grid to gen set. Most folks myself included mount this device right next to the service panel but it can be placed elsewhere and the wires run in a fat conduit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey930 View Post
transfer switch something along the lines of this
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
with surface mount works. you can size up the number of ckts and amps to suit your needs and gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkankyFrank View Post
You don't have to mount it inside next to the main fuse panel, you can put it outside or in the garage and run the back up circuit wires from it to to the main panel. Running the circuit wires to the main panel can be much easier than running the power cord to the back up panel when it is next to the main panel because the circuit wires are much smaller and easier to "fish".
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdubovsky View Post
Yes. There are similar UL/NEC approved off-grid type setups where there is a sheet metal 'rocker' on two adjacent breakers. I'll try to find a pic. As long as you can mechanically prevent both from being on at the same time it should meet UL/NEC code. Now a home brew metal solution is *NOT* UL approved but you're within the letter of the law I think.

Edit: Square D transfer sw. UL/NEC approved: (there are other w/ the slider types approved.)
1992 911 C2 Targa
Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I can't believe for an instant that thing meets code.
Keep in mind that there is another reason why this device won't meet code.

The latest version of the electrical code (adopted by Fairfax County) requires that your backup generator system be able to simultaneous power all circuit that are connected to the generator. Under the old code, it was legal for you to manually flip off circuit breakers and only power those that the generator could support.

So, if your electrical inspector is having a bad day or is being strict, you can't power your entire mail breaker panel with a 5Kw generator, but you must install a subpanel with limited breakers.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 AM

cmartin

A friend turned me on to this unit for a decent price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00130GGRM

Only 3500/4400 watts but also 69db and $570. It should power my well pump, fridge, some lights.... as long as I dont turn them all on at the same time.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:54 AM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax 944 View Post
The latest version of the electrical code (adopted by Fairfax County) requires that your backup generator system be able to simultaneous power all circuit that are connected to the generator. Under the old code, it was legal for you to manually flip off circuit breakers and only power those that the generator could support.
IIRC, NEC covers the wiring not the removable generator. You don't need a genset there to pass inspection. A permanently wired unit is a different story.

Or is this some other local building code for fairfax? Has ffx adopted nec 2008 yet?
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 11-02-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdubovsky View Post
IIRC, NEC covers the wiring not the removable generator. You don't need a genset there to pass inspection. A permanently wired unit is a different story.

Or is this some other local building code for fairfax? Has ffx adopted nec 2008 yet?
Fairfax County has adopted NEC 2008. This load shedding issue was a concern for me when I installed a permanently attached propane generator. I didn't realize that this provision may not apply to a removable generator.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

^ could prolly find it myself but a link would be nice. BTW no e-mail? I know you're busy but I wanted to make sure you had the right address.

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending