Aerial Footage - Summit FATT 06/12/15 - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk > Track Videos » Aerial Footage - Summit FATT 06/12/15

Track Videos A place to share and collect various Track Videos.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:19 AM

John Clay

So cool. Thanks for sharing.
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 06-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Great Vid. At NJMP, there are signs as you cross the bridge to each track that state "No Drones."

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 06-15-2015, 08:29 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

sorry did not mean to open up a can of shitstorm. As you can see there are a lot of people that have strong feelings and opinions about UAVs that are not based on truth. Anything can be a danger if used stupidly. The paddock is full of gas cans but people use them with care. Same with RC. Most are responsible flyers but as with anything and everything involving humans there will be a few dumb ass folks that have to be dealt with.

I would like to take mine and park it at 70 feet off to one side of the track and get footage of a race start. Modern UAV don't even need to be hovered. Park it and watch. If the drivers knew waht they could get to see and the level of "risk" I bet few would have a second thought about a device measured in ounces hovering off track.

We could also just mount Gopros on the deer, groundhogs and turkeys.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:33 AM

BikePump

maybe just a label on the craft that calls it a "quadrotor" and it wont be a drone. its all in the marketing
The Vaporizer 2009 Carrera Metallic Black
Totaled by the Police: 2009 Carrera Black

"Racing isn’t supposed to be stodgy. It’s supposed to be so goddamn wonderful batshit you can’t stand it, all noise and rumble and burning money and cavitating testicles."
Old 06-15-2015, 08:36 AM
Wanted: safety chair.

roundel

I have seen a UAV being flown at T7 during a PCA race weekend. It was a pretty impressive looking rig with 6 blades IIRC. I thought the footage was posted here a couple years ago, but what do I know.

It is a shame that poor behavior of a few limits the freedom of the many every time. I used to bring a motorized scooter to the track, but now they are banned because people were ass hats. I had two people smash their faces on mine.
97 318ti

"Guys, I'm coming in, I have too much grip."
Old 06-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
We could also just mount Gopros on the deer, groundhogs and turkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel View Post
I have seen a UAV being flown at T7 during a PCA race weekend.
I saw that too - while driving. I thought "Cool...now concentrate on driving and stop looking at the drone!" but it was a little disconcerting--it back then drones were pretty new stuff.

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 06-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePump View Post
maybe just a label on the craft that calls it a "quadrotor" and it wont be a drone. its all in the marketing
I don't use the drone word at all. People think bombs and cross-hairs. It is a little mostly plastic toy like thing with me on the other end telling it what to do.

I bet that 10 years from now this conversation will be laughable.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:14 AM

Chopper Dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineElevenLover View Post
Most of the "rules" (not even laws, yet) are still very nebulous (har!). I could very well be wrong, but I thought the 5 mile rule only applied to major airports, and the summit point airstrip is a tiny airport with a grass runway. Even the "400 ft recommended ceiling" is not a law, specifically relating to drones, at this point. Supposedly the FAA has absolutely no jurisdiction to police class G airspace.

"Class G airspace includes all airspace below FL600, not otherwise classified as controlled. (AIM 3-3-1) There are no entry or clearance requirements for class G airspace, even for IFR operations. Class G airspace is typically the airspace very near the ground (1,200 feet or less), beneath class E airspace and between class B-D cylinders around towered airstrips."

Regardless of all that legal mumbo jumbo, I DO understand the purpose of these guidelines, recommendations, suggestions, or whatever you want to call them... and that is obviously SAFETY. I try to always fly as safely as possible and consider all of the associated risks to people and/or property. I feel as if I am a more responsible drone operator than most, so I am willing to subject myself to a bit of scrutiny during this transitional phase, during which the rules, regulations, and laws are being hashed out.
FAA still has juristdiction over Class G below 1200. FARs restrict flying within 500 ft of persons or property for all aircraft without a waiver ie Part 137 for Aerial Application (Crop dusting) or Part 133 for External load and both those have restrictions in congested areas. The FAA will define a congested area for you, which could be 2 people on the ground or two houses.
Problem I have with UAVs also applied to motorized hang gliders, microlights etc where anyone could buy one and fly without any knowledge. I have twice met motorized paragliders at tree top height whilst spraying in a Helicopter and damn nearly crashed. These UAVs are so easily and cheaply accessible to anyone that oft times a total ban or by license only is the only option. When PCA or SCCA etc rent the track they have control over it, but it is my understanding that BSR and the other tracks do ban them, whether that is always enforced, I don't know.
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 06-15-2015, 09:39 AM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

Awesome video. I would love to have a chase cam video. I think the airspace above tracks should be reserved for drones Mine will have avoidance software and some, ahem, offensive capability for other drones that get in the way. I've almost been hit by liquor bottles thrown at trashcans in the Dorki Ghetto and been hit by a deer - I'd rather be hit by a drone, especially if the camera was running...

+1 GoPronimals
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles
Old 06-15-2015, 11:04 AM

RV4Flyer

Coming soon

The RV8 I'm currently building is to be named "Drone Killer". Look for it at tree top level by year's end.

The current bird of prey.....

Wall of Dearly Departed Loved Ones
07 987 Cayman S
03 996
86 944
74 914
78 924

Bro Code Rule 43:
When a Bro learns another Bro has been in a traffic accident, they must first ask what condition the car is in.