VIR driver suit requirements? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » VIR driver suit requirements?

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:38 AM

racer
Default VIR driver suit requirements?

So, I was looking to register for a DE at VIR. Reviewing that clubs guidelines (NNJR PCA if you need to know), specific to their VIR registration page is the following:

Quote:
Occupants in a race-prepared car must wear a one-piece SFI- or FIA-rated driverís suit with a minimum of two layers. Any car that has had the interior modified to accept a full cage install or is no longer street legal.
Basically this applies to race cars and track dedicated build cars. The person with a slightly modified bolt-in cage with performance upgrades is not the primary concern. VIR has had this rule for the past few years and it is our understanding that they are now enforcing it.
Anyone confirm or deny this? My 924 certainly fits the bill of being a "dedicated track car" even though it is still street licensed/registered. I did not notice similar language shared by PCAP but maybe I just didn't see it?
Past
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc
Old 04-28-2021, 01:55 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

suggest you email dechair at pcapotomac.org

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 04-28-2021, 02:23 PM

Paddy

Better yet, send Kerrigan Smith an email @ ksmith@VIRnow.com
02 BMW Spec E46 #27
01 Boxster
86 944- AER/Chump #33
20 F250 Tremor
Old 06-02-2021, 02:33 PM

racer

To close this loop.. I emailed Kerrigan Smith per Paddy's suggestion. I don't know Kerrigan's status in the VIR organization, but he was not aware of VIR having and enforcing such a rule.

Here is his reply:
Quote:
This is someone else's wording and not ours. We do not tech or inspect cars or safety gear as that is the responsibility of the Club renting the track. We highly recommend that people wear all the PPE they can and put the enforcement on the Renter through their tech process. You would need to seek clarification through the Club you intend to run with.
Past
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc

Last edited by racer; 06-07-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:53 PM

Paddy

Dave, Kerrigan is the President/COO at Virginia International Raceway.
02 BMW Spec E46 #27
01 Boxster
86 944- AER/Chump #33
20 F250 Tremor
Old 06-02-2021, 04:13 PM

tomfree

Speaking as someone who has driven several full-cage, non-street-legal cars at VIR over the years, the facility does not enforce a fire suit rule, and with the way events are staffed, I don't know how VIR itself could do the enforcement. I have definitely driven in a DE session in jeans/long sleeves/gloves/helmet at the facility with a couple of different sanctioning bodies (NASA and Tarheel Sports Car Club).

The sanctioning body for the event is where this will be enforced.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:58 PM

Dandelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Dave, Kerrigan is the President/COO at Virginia International Raceway.
So, another clueless executive.

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2

Last edited by Dandelion; 06-03-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:37 AM

somdcroc

A couple of years ago we were sent a letter with that and many other "rules" and stated that one was considered an "industry standard" . My understanding is that they are always under scrutiny by their insurance companies--hence why they don't allow convertibles/cabs without fixed rollover protection.

When FSR had an event a few years ago after getting this letter we had to sign something with Danny (our regular VIR Pit-out/Control guy) stating we would accept the risk-- but until then he was watching for drivers in "track cars" with just t-shirts.

BTW--lots of changes in VIR in the last year or so. New track manager, new security lead, new safety/emergency services lead, new/contracted food service, charging camping fees for drivers that sleep in their trailers, etc..

Kerrigan and Connie have also implemented changes (or increased enforcement) that are safety related such as the traffic circle at Paddock entrance, the one way direction in the paddock alleys, enforcement of people bedding their brakes/doing cool down on the roads at the track (especially when Connie and Kerrigan's mom are out doing their morning walks together), etc. The movement of the air compressor to the gas pump area (now requiring driving across gravel) and others are not so popular.

On the other hand, the track services team has lots of experience (from this past weekend alone at the SRO GT World Challenge event) repairing tire walls and armco barriers--they were extremely busy.
SCCA DC Region & PCAP Club Race F&C
scotthoffman11@gmail.com
2011 Cayman S "Hopealuoti"
Old 06-07-2021, 04:34 PM

tomfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcroc View Post
A couple of years ago we were sent a letter with that and many other "rules" and stated that one was considered an "industry standard" . My understanding is that they are always under scrutiny by their insurance companies--hence why they don't allow convertibles/cabs without fixed rollover protection.

When FSR had an event a few years ago after getting this letter we had to sign something with Danny (our regular VIR Pit-out/Control guy) stating we would accept the risk-- but until then he was watching for drivers in "track cars" with just t-shirts.

BTW--lots of changes in VIR in the last year or so. New track manager, new security lead, new safety/emergency services lead, new/contracted food service, charging camping fees for drivers that sleep in their trailers, etc..

Kerrigan and Connie have also implemented changes (or increased enforcement) that are safety related such as the traffic circle at Paddock entrance, the one way direction in the paddock alleys, enforcement of people bedding their brakes/doing cool down on the roads at the track (especially when Connie and Kerrigan's mom are out doing their morning walks together), etc. The movement of the air compressor to the gas pump area (now requiring driving across gravel) and others are not so popular.

On the other hand, the track services team has lots of experience (from this past weekend alone at the SRO GT World Challenge event) repairing tire walls and armco barriers--they were extremely busy.
VERY good to know and thank you for sharing. I've been going to VIR since '02 and through a couple of different management groups. To my knowledge, Kerrigan has been there a while, and most all of us have probably talked to Connie before if you've rented a room or a garage space. It has been a couple of years since I've driven VIR - 2018 was the last time, before my accident at Summit Pt in 6/18. I usually have my suit and full competition gear with me at DE events, even if I have no intention of wearing it, so no problems with me if they're actually enforcing that now.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:10 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcroc View Post
This is the stupidest thing they've done. It makes no sense and is so small you can't negotiate it even with just a Trailex, to say nothing of a bigger rig.

1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander (wife's DD and my new tow vehicle
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
2009 911 C2S Coupe "The Green Car"
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango - sold to a Dorki
2003 Acura MDX - Just shy of 200K
86 Black 911 Coupe race car (owned 2010-2016)
86 Gold 911 Targa (owned 1998-2012)
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa (owned 1986-7)