X73 Sport Suspension installer - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Professional Help » X73 Sport Suspension installer

Professional Help Post local shops and businesses you trust and recommend.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:13 PM

dcbeltwaymoveright
Default X73 Sport Suspension installer

Hello,
Please be nice to me, this is my first post. I'm picking up the cheapest CPO Boxster in the country next week, a 2014 Base. I got tired of waiting for one with PASM or X73, so I got this one with electric seats that I can raise high enough to see all the cones I'm hitting.

I'm probably going to buy the X73 suspension, but I need to find an installer. I have always taken my BRZ to Pure Automotive, who are experts in that platform. They are also only like a mile from my house, which is a bonus. Would you take a Boxster to them for suspension work? The install is a little complicated from what I have read, removing subframes, etc.

I am counting on my newb status and your good nature to prevent you from giving me some kind of Pcar noble society lecture about only letting certain people touch the car. I don't have the car yet, so please let me know if that rule applies to all aspects of the marque, or just complex jobs that require special tools and skills.

Thanks, Merrill
Old 05-27-2021, 03:50 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

There a plenty of indy Porsche shops west of the Beltway (ASG, Intersport, Autobahn, Chapman, IMA) and some that handle more/other makes of performance cars but still have a lot of Porsche experience, like GTPeace and RRT. And in Gaithersburg there is AutoTherapy. Not sure where Hamm is or if he's still around (he may actually be in the Annapolis area).

On Dorki, reach out to cmartin. He lives right in your backyard, and he knows a few small (i.e., 1-man) shops that tackle a lot of cool projects.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 05-27-2021, 03:58 PM

dcbeltwaymoveright

Thanks!
East of the beltway is just a dreary place, I should move west.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:08 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

No rivers west unless you go way the fuch out there. If you like water you had the right idea going to Severna. Cmartin does complain that it is a bit of a culinary wasteland though; I think you have to catch/ shoot/ grow your own food if you have taste buds.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 05-27-2021, 08:43 PM

trytryagain

ASG (Fairfax) installed an X73 suspension in my 2014 Cayman. It’s a bit time consuming but not particularly difficult. I would recommend getting a written estimate for the work to be done wherever you decide to go. You will also need an alignment. I eventually added camber plates in front to gain a bit more negative camber. This helps to extend the life of track tires slightly. I’ve been very happy with the suspension performance.

2014 Cayman (Aka "Rubber Ducky")

1971 914 (back in the day)
Old 05-28-2021, 11:54 AM

racer

To the OP, if you are going to AX (either with PCA or SCCA) read the rule book. While converting to X73 should be allowed, adding something as "trivial" as camber plates, even if set to 0, in PCA it would move you out of a stock class and at SCCA it would likely do the same.

Not sure where Severna Park is, but what about TPC up in Jessup?
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc
Old 05-28-2021, 01:05 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbeltwaymoveright View Post
Hello,
Please be nice to me, this is my first post. I'm picking up the cheapest CPO Boxster in the country next week, a 2014 Base. I got tired of waiting for one with PASM or X73, so I got this one with electric seats that I can raise high enough to see all the cones I'm hitting.

I'm probably going to buy the X73 suspension, but I need to find an installer. I have always taken my BRZ to Pure Automotive, who are experts in that platform. They are also only like a mile from my house, which is a bonus. Would you take a Boxster to them for suspension work? The install is a little complicated from what I have read, removing subframes, etc.

I am counting on my newb status and your good nature to prevent you from giving me some kind of Pcar noble society lecture about only letting certain people touch the car. I don't have the car yet, so please let me know if that rule applies to all aspects of the marque, or just complex jobs that require special tools and skills.

Thanks, Merrill
Welcome, we are really good at helping you spend your money

Not quite the same but Porsche of Silver Spring installed a factory SPASM suspension on my 997.2 C2S late last year. While not inexpensive the work was excellent and they came in lower than the original estimate. Ask for Linda in service, she is terrific.

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 05-28-2021, 02:37 PM

dcbeltwaymoveright

Thanks for all the info. I've got some calls in to these different shops.

Street class in the SCCA doesn't allow more than one swaybar change and does not allow lowering springs or camber plates. The beauty of the X73 is that it was an available option, so you can legally lower your car and do both swaybars and still run in the street class. You could even drop some more coin on a different front bar on top of that X73, I suppose. Of course, even a couple thousand dollars of mods will probably not affect my driving skills, but at least I'll have a much more aesthetically pleasing wheel gap in the paddock!

I spent too much time looking thru the original window stickers on vinanalytics and I'm cracking up that so many people could option a Base 981 up to $70k on power seats, infotainment, headlights, colored seatbelts and dashboards and never check the box for suspension or exhaust. hahahaha Oh well, maybe I'll see you in a parking lot somewhere soon.

Thanks again, Merrill
Old 05-28-2021, 03:16 PM

tomfree

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I've got some calls in to these different shops.

Street class in the SCCA doesn't allow more than one swaybar change and does not allow lowering springs or camber plates. The beauty of the X73 is that it was an available option, so you can legally lower your car and do both swaybars and still run in the street class. You could even drop some more coin on a different front bar on top of that X73, I suppose. Of course, even a couple thousand dollars of mods will probably not affect my driving skills, but at least I'll have a much more aesthetically pleasing wheel gap in the paddock!

I spent too much time looking thru the original window stickers on vinanalytics and I'm cracking up that so many people could option a Base 981 up to $70k on power seats, infotainment, headlights, colored seatbelts and dashboards and never check the box for suspension or exhaust. hahahaha Oh well, maybe I'll see you in a parking lot somewhere soon.

Thanks again, Merrill
You probably know this, but I'll say it for the sake of conversation...the SCCA stock/street allowance for factory options like X73 requires all the other options that accompany a given option to be installed to be technically legal. So...if X73 is a completely standalone option, you're golden. If it only came with the "whatever" package, you have to install "whatever" and X73.

Now...running locally, it's more than likely that nobody will be able to tell the difference, or they won't care if they do know the difference.

Best of luck finding a good shop in your neck of the woods. I'd say SSI in Baltimore...but that's not exactly close to Severna Park either.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:26 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:

Thanks again, Merrill
There is a lid for every pot. Some think the parking lot is where you set up for the track.

Good to get an estimate from shops that know want they are doing. Some are straight up some size up the client.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.