Vapor Honing/Blasting Source? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Vapor Honing/Blasting Source?

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:00 PM

av8bpilot
Default Vapor Honing/Blasting Source?

Dorkis,

Wondering if anyone has a good source for vapor honing in the area? I went and bought myself (another) project car that's in need of a lot of aluminum part cleanup and would like to get most of it vapor honed. I've called a couple local blasting places, but have struck out thus far.

Thanks!

2012 Cayman S Black Edition [378/500]
2008 Cayman S - SOLD
1966 Fiat 500F
1967 Fiat 500 Giardiniera
Old 05-17-2021, 07:54 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Is there a reason vapor blasting is a requirement?

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:08 PM

av8bpilot

Mostly because they’re bare aluminum components with a fair amount of light surface corrosion and grime. Everything I’ve seen seems to point to vapor blasting being the best goto for cleaning them up without any risk of grit deposited in the block pieces and shining it up at the same time. My last block, I got soda blasted, but wanted this one a little shinier and finished looking. I’m certainly open to input though.

2008 Cayman S - SOLD
1966 Fiat 500F
Old 05-18-2021, 12:50 PM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

I've never met this guy but mean to as he's in the next town over and his work on BaT looks quite good. Not local for you, though - diametrically opposite Solomons...

https://motorelic.com/other-services/
Old 05-18-2021, 01:43 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

“Vapor” is simply wet media blasting. Same media is use just with liquid added. It’s early adoption/adaptation was to control dust. If you are cleaning a complex part that has oil passages for example I would use a method that 100% media removal is assured. This is where CO2 and baking soda is good. One changes state to a gas and the other dissolves

I like the finish medium glass bead leaves on cast aluminum. Will never clean a complex oil wetted part with it. Will do heads it I also pressure wash and ultrasonic tank them after. There might some shops that have the proper equipment to 100% clean the parts of all media.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 05-18-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:55 AM

av8bpilot

Valid concerns and always lingering in the back of my mind. The main reason I want to farm leave my own blasting cabinet out of the running.

The motor I'm working on is air-cooled, with removable bores, and has minimal (and short) short oil passages that I will clean thoroughly before install. Really, there's only one oil passage in the whole block, with 3 plugs that will all be removed for cleaning. The last block like this I had soda blasted and it didn't quite get the finish I was hoping for. Since this one will be a more 'refined' restoration, the new look fits in better.

2008 Cayman S - SOLD
1966 Fiat 500F