Brembo caliper rebuild with *real* Brembo seals - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Brembo caliper rebuild with *real* Brembo seals

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads
Default Brembo caliper rebuild with *real* Brembo seals

In prepping for the Nov DE, I found that one of the rear bearings on the 911 was shot. Since it's been 10 years and a lot of track miles I decided to replace the bearings in all four corners. When I pulled the calipers to do this, they were looking pretty dirty and fried, so - WYIT - time to rebuild those too. My car is an 85 but has 964 Brembo brakes on it.

I've rebuilt lots of Brembos before. The process is always the same - order the seals from brake place in NJ, use air to get the pistons out, clean, install new seals, and swear like a motherf**ker trying to push the pistons back in with the new seals. They're new, so they should be tight as shit, right? Now, I'm very careful and do this 100% by hand now because there have been some issues in the past.

Well, while refreshing my memory on how to do this I found this thread on Rennlist: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ust-seals.html. The key post in this thread is by our own Forklift. Turns out most of the people selling "brembo" seals are actually selling Stoptech seals which are pretty close to the same (but not 100% the same). Word is the Brembo seals are a little better (better QC, etc). OK, so I want Brembo seals then. Well, turns out they're actually kinda hard to find for just the seal. You see, Brembo wants you to do rebuild the calipers correctly, so they sell kits where you replace the piston, seal and dust boot. For $60-$100 a piston. 16 pistons to rebuild and that gets expensive. No wonder people buy the $10 Stoptech seals.

After some searching I found that Paragon Products sells real Brembo seals outside of the full rebuild kit. I called and talk to them and asked specifically - "are these real Brembo or Stoptech seals?" 100% Brembo. "OK ship 'em"

Got them yesterday. Brembo packaging and the paint lines on the edge of the seals, just like the originals I pulled out (Stoptech seals are plain).

Name:  brembo.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  122.6 KB

Reassembled the calipers and while there was a bit of force to get the pistons back in, they slid in nice and smoothly. None of the swearing/"holy shit did I just mess up my seal" type experience as with the Stoptechs. With everything back on the car I used air to pressure test the calipers - pressurize up to 70-80 psi, close a ball valve and see if there is any leakage. Come back a couple mins later and if there is still pressure then things look good.

Name:  pressure.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  166.3 KB

All four corners look good. Two thumbs up, would recommend real Brembo seals over the Stoptechs. They're a bit more expensive, but worth it IMO.
1999 E46 328i
Old 10-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Great info -- thanks, Chris!

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 10-27-2017, 01:29 PM
Don't believe the hype

arob

Nice, Chris!
Old 10-27-2017, 06:32 PM

HoodPin

Nice write-up. Thanks.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 10-28-2017, 09:32 AM

forklift

I remember, the story is:

replaced all 4 calipers in 2006-ish and the both the fronts, one in particular stuck even when brand new. I figured it just needed to be broken in - never happened.

Jazz, you helped me rebuild them in your garage at some point (meaning I watched you do all the work ) and IIRC you had a hell of a time getting the seals/pistons to fit and pistons were still very difficult to move (never went in "nice and smoothly").

Then I sent them to the Brembo guy and his response is in the rennlist thread.

But they still stuck which I guess was due to some kind of machining problem but have no idea. 2 years ago I asked Charlie to take a look at them and when I picked my car up there were newused front calipers on my car so he didn't think much of them either even w/ the brembo seals in them.

Brakes, they just slow you down. Esp when they are always "on".
Jim, ex P-car: 93 RSA, G stock #222
Old 10-29-2017, 03:54 PM

AOW162435

Chris,
I rebuilt my 993 calipers a few years ago and tried to save money by purchasing seals only from Zeckhausen. The seals & dust boots were light gray in color and flimsy. I returned them and ordered 16 full Bembo kits from Sunset...

993 caliper rebuild

Andreas
2001 Toyota 4Runner, Dorado Gold, 552,XXX 1-owner miles
1998 Toyota 4Runner, Oxidized, 5-speed