Putting a 2 post lift 3/4 the way up a mountainside. - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Putting a 2 post lift 3/4 the way up a mountainside.

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 06-30-2018, 03:48 PM

Chopper Dropper

Congrats Kurt, beautiful part of the country, back in early 80s I was giving 5 minute helicopter rides at the Shenandoah fair, think it was just down the road in Edinburg, had a great time actually logged 13.5 hours off the ground one day, was still flying close to midnight, that works out to about 160 take offs and landings. Also did a lot of Gypsy Moth spraying in that area, really pretty, done good son.
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 07-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Lifer

jbailey930

Well done, Kurt. That is a beautiful home. My son-in-law is from Woodstock, and as others say it is gorgeous. Also, not too far from old town Winchester for taste of Germany. You will have to start a thread addling lightness to a tractor mower to take care of that yard !
86 911 Targa (sold/missed)
Old 07-02-2018, 02:25 PM

Too Tall

Score. Great location, congratulations. One of my fav. bicycle riding areas.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:49 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Thanks all. Figured it was time for an update. The house was in move in and live in condition but as with everything else I get I felt the need to change things around.
One thing was the home heating. The house has two late model heat-pumps with a well thought out controls system and a propane fueled hydronic backup system. Big underground propane tank and efficient water heater so no worries there. From the start I planed on installing a Vermont castings Defiant wood stove in this house. I had a nice little Vermont castings Intrepid stove in the old house and grew to love wood stove heating. Living in the middle of a mature hardwood forest does not hurt ether.
The house came with a class A type chimney containing 2 flue pipes. One ran to a metal zero clearance fireplace on the main level and the other to the workshop space one level below. The fireplace was safe, usable, looked just like a fireplace and was 100% useless. The flue pipe to the shop below ran up past the metal fireplace in the same fireproofed chase.
To add to the fun the previous owner had removed the wood stove in the shop apace and replaced it with an un-vented propane heater. Um, Ok, burn free wood from all around you or $3 a gallon propane? The PO mumbled something along the lines of "The shop stove flue was too tall and it sooted up too much" This made no sense to me but pegging the BS meter was also no problem as I planned on deleting it anyway. The lower level flue pipe was in the way where I planed to redo the main level stove area so rather than abandoning it in place I took it out from top to bottom. While removing the support box I discovered what I suspect is the real reason the PO stopped burning through that flue. There was a short stub of 2X4 in the support box that was leaning against the flue pipe. It was well blackened and charred on the pipe side but still had a small % of wood left for future smokin' My guess is every time he got a hot fire going it would char and smoke would go into the chase and attic. Smelling 2X4 smoke in the attic while running a stove would scare the hell out of me too! The metal box based fireplace flue uses attic air flow through an outer metal pipe but the lower level is a simple insulated double wall pipe. I am reusing the air flow flue for the stove as it increases the ventilation in the attic and gives me a convenient access to outside combustion air for the stove.
A plan in hand I lowered the flue pipe down and removed it one section at a time. Gutted the old fireplace out along with the mantle and black granite floor. Removed all the wood I could and re-framed things in metal stud and cement board. Cut the hardwood floor back then glued and screwed in 1/4 cement board. Marble tile floor, firebrick in the back and ledger stone slate on the walls. The mantle is made from metal stud and cement board covered in ledger stone and ash wood like ceramic tile for the top and underside.
A low burn at min settings warms the entire house. I run the main furnace in fan only now and then and the heat is nice and even.

A long blather but I am a picky SOB and it is not often that something I do meets expectations. Some shop and garage coming soon.
Attached Images

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:49 PM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

Yeah, that, umm, meets expectations.

Nice work!
Old 10-23-2018, 10:01 AM

cmartin

Nice work. The flue is interesting, dont know anything about that style. When I installed the woodstove I used a stainless flex liner with insulation, great for an existing chimney. Looks like this is a completely different animal.

The charred 2x4 is
Old 10-23-2018, 10:45 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
Nice work. The flue is interesting, dont know anything about that style. When I installed the woodstove I used a stainless flex liner with insulation, great for an existing chimney. Looks like this is a completely different animal.

The charred 2x4 is
Yes. This is a wood box shaped like a chimney built and skinned in the same materials as the house. Inside the box is a metal bracket system that holds the flue pipes away from the wood framework. The distance depends on the type of pipe used. In this case there were 2 different types used. The chimney chase is metal lined in the area where the metal stove used to be and it has open access to air from the attic for cooling.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:08 AM

cmartin

btw the stand/stool combo looks like something I would do

thanks for the info. Similar to the 'chimney' of my old place minus the metal lining. Just a wood framed box using insulated pipe for the chimney. Builder grade for sure.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:34 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

I thought some folks might like that picture. A tall jack stand, a wood bar stool and a 2X4 holding up 36 feet of 8" double wall insulated flue pipe. What could possibly go wrong?

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:23 PM
Tito

86911TLCAB

Well done Kurt...Happy for you and the family...look forward to the shop warming...

82 911 SC with 3.2
73 RSR project
97 328is
99 328is
97 Lexus SC300 Manual

86 TL (gone)
993 (gone)
75 911S (gone)