Engine rebuild, shop or self? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Engine rebuild, shop or self?

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2018, 11:30 PM

Modian
Default Engine rebuild, shop or self?

The engine on my SC will need a rebuild sooner rather than later and I’m debating options. My current plan is to tear it down, see what kind of shape everything is in, and try to keep it a 3.1. Since they are NLA, if the P&C are no good then I will debate on making a 3.2-3.4ss. Something torquey, not a screamer. My M3 is a torqueless screamer and it’s the only thing I wish I could change about the car.

My main question at the moment is whether to attempt this myself or have a shop do it. I have worked around engines doing basics but never tore one down. I also don’t have a lift currently, and my garage is the smallest size you could legally call a two car. 19x19 if I remember correctly, and the 964 will be in there. So I would need to outlay for a scissor lift that will allow me to drop the engine and work on it under the car. And then figure out how to drop an engine, tear it down, inspect it, rebuild it, clean up the wiring of the Megasquirt, and reinstall it. I have hand tools and a small compressor, but no welders, grinders, presses, etc.

Seems like a great learning experience, but being realistic, also a lot of fumbling around and potentential discouragement, replacing stuff I break for various reasons, plus outlays for lifts and tools. Plus the car sitting there for 2-3-4 times longer than if a pro did it, and I love driving it. So maybe I should have a shop do it. Question there is which one? Chapman works on my cars now, and I’ve discussed it with him. Are there others local-ish or within tow distance I should look into?

Thoughts on the two approaches would be appreciated, or alternate ideas.

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3