How Much Faster is Summit Point? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » How Much Faster is Summit Point?

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:18 PM

JoeG
Default How Much Faster is Summit Point?

Found this informative video on the differences in lap times before and after repaving Summit Main

https://youtu.be/mT5xAav2Vqw
Old 10-10-2018, 07:17 AM

Der ABT

While i agree the track is faster....alot of his lap time came from other variables... mainly his driving and brake app. And release

Most of the time he is talking about soo much more grip, yet his slope of his braking is equal if not better on the older lap....should be able to increase that slope with more grip....not just midcorner

You can see a few mph in corner min speeds. But he is mich smoother and has some bobbles mid corner in the old lap.

I also think the track has slowed since the initial repave, i know when it was first paved i went out eith robbie and it was soo smooth and grippy...club race showed a few bumps here and there but also could have been all the rain and bsr rubber laid down that slowed the track a bit

Regardless good video of how to start learning to compare laps
2015 E stock national champion
Close Motorsports - Driver Coaching and Data Equipment sales
Website coming soon
Old
http://retaliatemotorsports.blogspot.com/
Old 10-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

For my low-power class (and SM, which is slightly more power and on Hoosiers) we're all about 1-1.5 seconds/lap faster. Including this past weekend so it's not going away for us.

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 10-10-2018, 08:10 PM

JoeG

What impressed me most about the video was not how the track conditions changed after repaving but the analytics and quality of the video. I must confess I did checkout VBOX systems last night. I assume that's what was used in this video but not certain.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:07 PM

PGas32

Some (somewhat) anecdotal evidence from the SPB class...I went 1.5 seconds faster than last year, but last year was my rookie race weekend and I attribute at least half of that gain to improvements in my driving and the car. Hunt went faster by less than 0.2, and Belles by about 0.1 The track record set in 2017 still stands. I was expecting everyone to be significantly faster and the record to be crushed, but that wasn't the case...it certainly feels faster, but in reality maybe it's not really all that much
2021 Ford Explorer

Gone:
2006 Cayman S
2006 911 S
SPB v1
Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 PM

Der ABT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
What impressed me most about the video was not how the track conditions changed after repaving but the analytics and quality of the video. I must confess I did checkout VBOX systems last night. I assume that's what was used in this video but not certain.
Its not Vbox (circut tools) actually.

Its Cosworth Pi lite....(pro version is about 1500 just for the software).....very powerful but is fairly advanced and not the most user friendly....guy just took his data from the vette and video and syncd

VBox Circut tools is very similar in layout.....free software (yes you need to buy the hardware) and is very user friendly....pop in sd card to computer and its syncd for you and ready to go....i know i preach about it but its awesome.

PM me if you have more questions or want info link or to see it with real data from locals.

Im trying to put together a VBox demo day at the last DE

Looks like records that did drop were about .5 faster give or take (cept gtb1 was a full second)
I dropped the E class record by about .5 sec....though i think there was a little left in a few places, was only .2 off my theoretical but i was being conservative in a few places.

Alot had to do with prior rain, bsr rubber down vs good rubber, etc
2015 E stock national champion
Close Motorsports - Driver Coaching and Data Equipment sales
Website coming soon
Old
http://retaliatemotorsports.blogspot.com/
Old 10-10-2018, 10:10 PM

Modian

I’ll echo Evan and say the VBox is great, as long as you remember to put the card in. I’ve missed a few sessions because I either forgot to put the card in, or I bumped it when putting the cover down and halfway ejected it. I wish the oled display would tell you if the card is missing.

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3
Old 10-10-2018, 11:07 PM

JoeG

I didn’t put 2 & 2 together Evan. I was at one on the Summit demis last year. Hope to see the demo again in a few weeks.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:52 AM
Now known as Robbie's dad

TurboPooch

Most who drive Summit Main multiple times per year will tell you that on average, the track is definitely faster than before the repave and for most is 1-1.5 sec. It also seems that when the pavement was fresh, the gains were eye opening. However, since the track has seasoned in and settled it seems that gains have been dialed back just a bit as evidenced in our last DE and club race times. Regardless, Summit is good.

89 944 Turbo Race car
85.5 944 NA son's 2015/2019/2020 944Cup and PCA Nat'l Champ racecar
94 968 1 of 11 Iris blue coupes
92 968 1 of 2 Tahoe Blue Cabriolets
98 993 C2S w/Aerokit II
77 911S Vintage race car project
70 Boss 302
86 Mustang SVO
08 F250 SD Diesel
15 Audi SQ5

"Noel spun! Noel spun! Don't do anything stupid, Dad." -the boy on the radio on the last lap of NASA race as the second place car spins behind me in T5 at Summit Point.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:48 AM

Shizzly

Agreed with Evan, CT is much easier to use than Pi, but it's also less powerful. That being said, you can do basic analysis easier in CT than Pi IMO. CT is pretty well setup out of the box. Pi, you start from scratch and build your own workbooks and have to setup several of the math channels/maps correctly.

In the video above, that's actually Pi Pro combined with the Cosworth Toolbox for GM. You can't do side by side video in Pi lite. There's some workarounds, but not the same and not convenient. CT does this out of the box. You can do side by side in Cosworth Toolbox and also line overlays with maps. Between the two tools, it's pretty powerful.

The biggest want I have for CT is custom math channels. I'd love to hear how folks do that with CT (maybe I'm missing something in CT?) or using external tools. Pi Lite comes with that ability to a large degree (Advanced Math is a separate license, but allows even more functionality).

That being said, I wouldn't look at a Cosworth box from an aftermarket standpoint at an HPDE level. It's great in the Corvette, but it's an OEM option and well integrated. I use Vbox HD2 in the 981 and gets 95% of what I use during review.

Don't the new Cup cars use Cosworth?
2019 Corvette Z07 - Urf-Qke #777
2016 Corvette Z07 - LightSpeed #707
2014 Cayman S - Sparkles #81
2005 Corvette jackstand racecar