$40k DE car challenge - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » $40k DE car challenge

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 PM

CanAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by threedownandlocked View Post
If you had to do it over again would you stick with PASM?
Hard to say.

PASM was great initially. Comfy but still good handling on the road, stiff enough on the track even for Black/Red. I guess it depends on how long the shocks normally last, and I don't know how typical or atypical my case was.

OTOH, the Cayman R has non-PASM shocks and they've performed well on both road and track, even with over a hundred days on the car.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:27 PM

APKhaos

Hate to say it but the Z06 or C6 would be almost impossible to beat at this price point. Comfortable to drive to/from the track and more than capable while you are there. Especially the C6. And better with mods. Just sayin'.
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup
Old 08-07-2014, 11:05 PM

Cliff Claven

first thing i thought when i read the question was---Z06 or C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
My 997.1 C2S was close to that price, plus less than $10K added cost for track seats, roll bar, harnesses, transmission cooling, oil pan extension/baffle, and camber plates. Could do 23s in it (even with me driving) on NT01s when the OEM suspension was working right, but it seems that OEM PASM shocks gradually wore out over ~40 track days, making the car gradually slower and eventually unsafe. I've spent a lot of $$ recently to upgrade the suspension, and we're still working on dialing the car in. Next iteration will be tried tomorrow with revalved shocks and stiffer springs - fingers crossed!
hahaha, reading comprehension fail. must come in under $40k total, and M97 discouraged. not every thread is legitimately interpreted as an opportunity to talk about one's own car or one's self.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatithunder View Post
So this is completly hypothetical brain teaser or are you looking to actually build something?
Its really meant to be a brain teaser, but not completely hypothetical. I was curious to see if anyone could get creative given the parameters, or if all the answers would be "spend more and buy a GT3".

I'm looking at a new track car, but will probably end up with something in the Porsche or BMW world and end up paying more.

So far the responses have been:
- 997.1 (this has issues, specifically the M97 engine)
- Z06. Not much of a Vette guy, so not sure how these rate in terms of reliability.

I'm surprised there aren't more suggestions of things like STi or Evo. I thought those could be made quick for not much money. Like Vettes, though, I admit I don't know much about them.
1999 E46 328i
Old 08-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Wanted: safety chair.

roundel

You don't need to run 22/23 to be above the fold in red.
97 318ti

"Guys, I'm coming in, I have too much grip."
Old 08-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post

I'm surprised there aren't more suggestions of things like STi or Evo. I thought those could be made quick for not much money. Like Vettes, though, I admit I don't know much about them.

I think that's kind of the issue. Like many, we started here at the deep end of the pool and skipped all the boy racer stuff.

I wonder about the FRS with a turbo or supercharger. I have no idea how fast they are stock, but it's a nice package and the entry price would buy you a lot of go fast to bolt on.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 PM

APKhaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
The STi and Evo are good out of the box street cars that do well on the track, but are not particularly responsive, capable, or special enough to make a Porsche guy happy. Like a fat kid with muscles from a year on the juice.
The Vettes would seem crass and actually were for the longest time until they started racing them, then everything changed. The Z06 was impressive to drive, and the C6 is much better. They are a blast, but the 'its a frikin Corvette' thing takes some overcoming, especially if you've been sneering at them for decades [guilty].
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup

Last edited by APKhaos; 08-08-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 PM

blipshift

M96/97 is a reliable motor. Retrofit IMS.

Z06 has a common issue of dropping valves which similarly causes engine to go boom. It's $3kish to grenade proof. For me it's still a Corvette.

Boss 302 would be worth a look.

370Z Nismo could probably get close to 23s. My 350Z was a solid car, never tracked though.

I'd stay away from turboing a car that wasn't designed to be turboed...ie BRZ/FRS

WRX might be worth a look if you don't care that it's a hunk of plastic inside.

GTI and Focus ST are a little underpowered....a golf r might get you into 23s

I'm not considering anything Korean.... Genesis, Veloster....junk

S2000. Reliable, quick. Fine track cars when significantly tuned.

NSX. 2000-2005, prices will be steep but they won't depreciate much more, if any. Reliable, rare, head turner.

RX-8. Reliability concerns of the rotary. Doubt it could get 23s.

AMG C55 might be worth a look but reliability would be a chief concern. When they break they break the bank too.

135/235i. Guys who've had those always have great things to say. If not 911, that's where I'd look hard.

Current
2019 C7 GS
2019 Mk7 eGolf
1984 944

Last edited by blipshift; 08-08-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:20 AM

ducatithunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by threedownandlocked View Post
Boss 302 would be worth a look.

I'd stay away from turboing a car that wasn't designed to be turboed...ie BRZ

WRX might be worth a look if you don't care that it's a hunk of plastic inside.
So true. I looked at STi a while ago. The older second gen. I liked the boxy style but the interior sucked. Couldn't get over it. I'm sure it would make an interesting DE car. My buddy bought an BRZ. I'm sure my cooper would have passed him on the track no problem. He got rid of it after the cheapness of the BRZ became apparent when his clutch grenaded in NJ and towed it home. He had a few issues with it. That car really needed the STi engine .... In a perfect world. I like vettes but I still think I would pick a late mustang over it. I'm not a fan of the fox body but you get the IRS and they have been modded very well over the years for speed and handling. A few cobra buddies race them with good results. I still see a ton of them as daily drivers getting beat on day in and day out so that tells you the reliability factor. Plus you can swap parts fairly easy and pick most up local or at any hotrod shop.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 08-08-2014, 12:25 AM

APKhaos

They don't fit your criteria, and are unobtanium in the US, and are expensive in Oz, but a retired V8 Supercar would be one hell of a track appliance.
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup