Need some heat in the garage.. - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Need some heat in the garage..

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 11-07-2017, 03:34 PM

ducatithunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
I use a multi fuel torpedo heater from Home Depot and usually run diesel in it as it is cheaper than kerosene. I usually turn it on an hour or so before hand pointing it at the tool box to heat up all that steel. Once the garage warms up, I vent the garage to rid fumes, and use and use a small electric heater to maintain. It also helps to run a few errands in one of the cars before hand, and then park it in the garage.
I have found this to be the cheapest and fastest way to heat up my garage. The salamanders usually run $200 new, half or less used on CL. I too run it on diesel. With my garage door open it heats 400 sqft up in a matter of 10-15 min. Thermosat will kick it on and off. Fumes are not to bad. Once its warm I turn it off and close the door.

Mini Split unit for your garage is prob the best. Finish it off right. Find a cheap salamander/forced air unit to get you through the winter. Put in the mini split in the spring. Heat and AC.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 11-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPooch View Post
Although many of the previously mentioned methods may have sketchy efficiency ratings, I chose to use a 80K BTU Reznor power vented natural gas unit heater mounted in the far corner of the 40' x 36' garage. It is hooked to a manual thermostat that usually is set to the lowest setting to keep the water lines from freezing and will maintain 45 degrees in sub zero temps for several days. When I want to work out there, I bump the t-stat to 65 and in 15 minutes it is toasty warm. The power vent allows the vent to be run out the side of the building and no need for a flue. Gas bill in the winter is about 30 bucks a month with half of that being surcharges as the gas itself is cheap. Very happy with it.
Your 80K gas burner is at best 80% efficiency. You are right that gas is cheap. Gas heaters can bump up the heat nice and fast, are cheap to purchase and maintain but the connection fees often kill that off in a garage format where the unit is off more than on. Fast heat is a Good feature. Most of us don't spend all day every day in our shops. It is nice to let the shop idle cold but warm up quick when you are in it. My heat pump takes a solid hour to go from "Don't let anything freeze" to take the jacket off warm. Your shop is large enough to have a gas burner and a stand alone AC. If I had the gas there already I would add a vented gas heater to the shop even with the existing system in place.
A good mini split heat pump will not have the gas connection surcharge, can be far better modulated, makes a lot less noise and is an AC to boot. I have found the AC aspect important even when it is cold out when condensation is an issue. Run the heat pump in dehumidify and it will dry the shop out before all my stuff rusts or grows mold.

Un-vented anything that burns dumps acidic water and stink into the air.

IMO. Fast heat = vented gas. Most comfort = good mini split or through wall. Cheap = elec. Hatin' life and want to end it now = Unvented.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:33 PM

cmartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Through wall heat pump, like a motel room.

Needs 220v. Heats and cools - both reasonably efficiently.
I might have a line on a PTAC, in service ~18 months.

Also have a kerosene heater that I really like but dont really need anymore. Tons of heat and easy to move around, I stick it in a corner and have a fan nearby. Works like a charm.

Most of my jobs are in and out so I want instant heat. Nothing like getting warm, then swapping cars and every ounce of heat leaves the shop. If keeping the doors closed I really like the mini split idea.

Last edited by cmartin; 11-07-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:46 PM

SRG

A through wall (single unit) heat pump is functionally the same as a mini split, just no "split". Good ones are quite efficient, same as mini splits. Through wall units cost less.

Open flame heat in a garage? (I wouldn't use one in the house either).
Old 11-07-2017, 10:40 PM

Uncle ENzo

Thanks for all the ideas. I dont ever really need AC as its just never gets that hot. However, in the winter its just miserable. I am tempted to put up a curtain on the lift side of the garage to section it off thus making a smaller area to heat.
As for my gas options, we have a propane tank buried in the yard for the stove, water heater, etc. Not sure if I want to tap into that.
2024 Integra 6spd
2021 CX-9
1998 M Roadster - Sold
2021 Taco - Sold
2009 E91 Touring - Sold
2005 S$ Avant - Sold
2007 Carerra S - Sold
1976 911S - Sold
Acura MDX - Dead
2000 e39 528i/5 - Sold
Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 AM

cmartin

Thats what I did. Works great but gas plumbing can get $$. As long as tools arent ice cold I'm ok. I do miss the old days of the woodstove, maybe not the best idea but it worked great for years. I was the help so I spent a ton of time at the parts washer, nothing like that safely kleen buzz in a toasty garage. After insulating the shop I was surprised how well a little electric space heater worked. Not great for large areas but aimed at your work area it knocks off the chill quickly. The gas heater works great but is a bit noisy. Puts out great heat though.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:20 AM

Mark in Baltimore

I just installed a Mitsubishi 12,000 BTU mini split in the garage. Just started using it a few days ago since I am trying to dry out and prep a cedar gate for staining. Also did some work on the Macan on this past, cold Sunday, and it was so nice walking into a warm garage. Certain I'm going to be thrilled with this purchase, but anything is better than what I had before, which was no heat and no AC.

I purchased the model with the hyper heat feature that is 100% efficient down to -13 degree Fahrenheit. Kind of overkill for our region, but it was only $300 more. This is a heat pump with an inverter technology that is unlike the normal heat pumps that are part of a conventional air handler with ducts system.

Next up is closed cell spray foam and sheet rock.

Looking for E39 BMW M5
Old 11-08-2017, 11:47 AM

Uncle ENzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore View Post
I just installed a Mitsubishi 12,000 BTU mini split in the garage. Just started using it a few days ago since I am trying to dry out and prep a cedar gate for staining. Also did some work on the Macan on this past, cold Sunday, and it was so nice walking into a warm garage. Certain I'm going to be thrilled with this purchase, but anything is better than what I had before, which was no heat and no AC.

I purchased the model with the hyper heat feature that is 100% efficient down to -13 degree Fahrenheit. Kind of overkill for our region, but it was only $300 more. This is a heat pump with an inverter technology that is unlike the normal heat pumps that are part of a conventional air handler with ducts system.

Next up is closed cell spray foam and sheet rock.
Can you post a link of what you purchased?
2024 Integra 6spd
2021 CX-9
1998 M Roadster - Sold
2021 Taco - Sold
2009 E91 Touring - Sold
2005 S$ Avant - Sold
2007 Carerra S - Sold
1976 911S - Sold
Acura MDX - Dead
2000 e39 528i/5 - Sold
Old 11-08-2017, 12:18 PM

Mark in Baltimore

http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/node/1104

http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/node/1136

I also have the i-See infrared eye that scans the room for hot or cold spots and balances it out. Again, overkill for a garage, but it came with the hyper heat.

The 15,000 BTU unit would have a faster temperature change when the doors open up, but it's also less efficient, so I chose the 12,000 BTU unit.

Looking for E39 BMW M5
Old 11-08-2017, 07:53 PM

Too Tall

My sympathies. I've also delayed installing something permanent.
I have been using a 240v portable heater. It is not efficient however it is impressive. I'm heating a 500 sf shop easily.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...9048_200649048