944 re-wiring for dummies - Page 9 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » 944 re-wiring for dummies

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Prodigal Pariah

wludavid

SMD: Found more info here: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...troduces_.html

I think you're right. It allows the battery to discharge, and then uses voltage created by engine overrun or regenerative braking to recharge.

Jazzbass, I stand corrected regarding battery charging.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Site Admin

Charlie Stylianos has disabled reputation

A little input from the peanut gallery.........

Fans 'always on' position may be a good idea IF thermocouple/sensor fails.....unless this is spoken for elsewhere.

Nice job there Jazzy!
Old 02-13-2007, 03:39 PM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSteve View Post
Why don't they use the same type as cars do?
Cost, weight, space? A PM machine is very small and light. It also doesn't have brushes which take space and can have reilability issues. I can't remember off the top of my head if the bike alternator is in the oil side of the case like the clutch is. Brushes wouldn't work in oil.

In a nutshell, the power demand of a bike is small enough that you can get away w/ a simpler PM + linear regulator approach. It means wasting a bit more energy as heat (in the regulator) if your @ 10krpm constantly w/ the headlights on. The load characteristics of bikes is far narrower than cars, so the design is a little more tailored to that. It may be very likely that a big goldwing or beemer has a field driver alternator. But, not sportbikes.

AHHH, it just came to me. W/ a field driven alt, you need a battery to get the charging started. In something w/ only a kickstarter that doesn't exist. A PM machine will generate power whenever its spinning. So, probably just a throwback from the older days.

SMD
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 02-13-2007, 05:42 PM

TD in DC

Here is the datasheet for the Dash II display that I will be using.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf DASH2_datasheet.pdf (381.5 KB, 153 views)
Old 02-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

So if it's so little HP loss why bother? Wouldn't it be better to have a reliable "hands off" system so you can concentrate on excuses for being slow. Instead of one that needs constant attention from the drone behind the wheel?

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 02-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Rusty Grinderschmütz

Andy Clements

Chris,

I haven't said much on this thread since the early photos....but there are a few thoughts on my mind. Let me preface by saying I'm no EE (just a hack with a voltmeter) so take this with a big grain of salt.

As for the amusing cooling debate....I've learned a few things by this discussion, but it still seems ridiculous to me. It has been shown that the amount of hp loss is very small.....but it is true that this could be significant in the most tightly contested podium battle. Personally, I hardly think it is worth melting a motor on the chance that TD could forget the fan switch and potentially not see the warning light in the "heat" of battle. Perhaps I'm wrong, but at race speeds the fans do more to impede air flow than to improve it, and as such the blades are largely driven by flow rather than the electric motor. If that is the case, the current draw should be considerably less at speed....thereby making the load on the alternator draw exceedingly small in insignificant.

In another topic I have been meaning to mention since your first post......you indicated that you plan to eliminate the stock fuse block and all relays except the DME relay. You probably already know that the DME is a very common failure mode for the 944, and a bad relay will disable and/or cause flaky problems very easily. A spare relay is a glove-box item for any 944 owner that has been previously burned by this little achilles heel. My question....if you are going to the trouble of all this extensive rewiring and circuit design.....why not eliminate the relay as a failure mode in a race car? It should be a fairly simple matter to establish these circuits as high current switches that are operated manually in sequence to start the car? You would also have the added benefit of physically hearing the fuel pump functioning before firing the ignition.

Last thought.....you haven't forgotten that this car is being built for a stock/spec class......right? 44Cup is not exactly known for extremely strict rules enforcement, but I hope all of these electrical "upgrades" don't catch the attention of an over zealous scruit. Doesn't seem like much of anything is going beyond repairs of faulty wiring, but I'm just playing devils advocate.

Ok. I'm done. Nice work on the project.....give us some completion pics when you finish.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Good input Andy. I think at this point I'm ready to pitch the the fan relay circuit after the debate we've had here. Reduce complexity and all that.

As for the DME relay... hmmm.. interesting thought. I'm concerned simply because I don't know exactly the circuitry that's in the relay (and it is more than just a relay), so at this point I'm not 100% confident enough to pitch it. In particular, I'd like to know exactly the left hand side of the relay circuit (circled in red below) is doing.

Name:  dmerelay.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  124.0 KB

The right hand side is pretty straight forward - switch battery power to the fuel pump when the ignition is on. The left side is switching power to the injectors (seemingly by having Pin 20 of the DME pull pin 9 of the relay to ground). I'm not sure what pins 18 and 35 of the DME are doing here.

BTW, I'd like to here ideas from anyone on this. Yes, I'm an EE, but I didn't take "Race Car Wiring 3220" back at Virginia Tech . Ideas regarding safety (kill switches, warning lights, etc from people who have BTDT (or have even just thought about it) are welcome.
1999 E46 328i
Old 02-13-2007, 06:16 PM

TD in DC

Chris, as you know, I am completely fine with ditching the no fans option. I had already deleted that option after I bought the car.

With respect to the DME Relay, it would be great to delete if it is easy and does not delay the completion of the project. If it does, just forget it because I always carry a spare DME Relay in the Sequoia.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Rusty Grinderschmütz

Andy Clements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
As for the DME relay... hmmm.. interesting thought. I'm concerned simply because I don't know exactly the circuitry that's in the relay (and it is more than just a relay), so at this point I'm not 100% confident enough to pitch it. In particular, I'd like to know exactly the left hand side of the relay circuit (circled in red below) is doing.
Clarks has it pretty well laid out I think, although this does not necessarily explain the 18 and 35 DME pins. See if this pinout diag makes more sense than the factory shema.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-05.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
Yes, I'm an EE, but I didn't take "Race Car Wiring 3220" back at Virginia Tech .
This stuff was only covered in "Rewiring TD's race car for fun and no profit" 3494
Old 02-13-2007, 07:00 PM
nothing here, move along

Lucky has three HoF threadsLucky has three HoF threadsLucky has three HoF threads

Chris, fantastic project. Too bad all this quality EE work is going into a lowly '44...

As my sig states, I have one of those 'merican V8 powered cars. Sometimes I visit Mustang forums to see what mods all of those wholesome folks that like to race in a straight line are doing to improve performance. Turns out they have some nifty ideas to free up HP the engine is already making -- two of the biggest are underdrive pulleys (so the accessories like AC, alternator, and water pump spin a bit slower) and electric water pumps (which eliminate the friction lost to yet another belt and pulley). Seems like you could apply the same tricks to a '44 and free up 5+ HP.

Slowly shopping for a 991 or 981...
'20 RAM 1500 Laramie
'19 X3
'16 Camaro RS
'00 Boxster S
'86 Carrera Coupe
'85 Jaguar XJS v12
'88 Integra RS
'74 Toyota Celica GT
'69 Camaro