Adding lightness from the ground up - Page 4 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Adding lightness from the ground up

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:00 PM

photoeditor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase007 View Post

* I stole that "clapping" smiley gif from PP ... is that a No no ...?
Stealing it isn't - admiting you did is...

http://www.michaelmadridphotography.com
Old 12-11-2006, 07:20 PM
My wheels are blingie

Rick V

Kurt,
Thanks for taking the time to share the project.

82SC, Lanna
02 C240, Das-Uber-Lux-O-Cruiser
97 Boxter, She named it Willy
86 Dodge 4X4, Peggy, The Arctic Warrior
Go Army
Old 01-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Its been a while since I have had a chance to work on the car other than an hour here and there. I worked on it for the entire day today and got some of the cage work started. Everything is only tacked in until I get all cut and figured out. When all the tubing is cut and tacked in I will disassemble and weld everything in fully part by part. All the tubing is 1.5X.095 mild steel except the drivers X which is 1.5X.120. I have a thing about getting T boned and want the drivers X to keep its shape and let the surrounding car deform. The drivers X is the closest that the outside world is to me when I am seated. I worked to make as many connections full nodes and the X basses do not end on the hoop pipes but half against it and the sill plates so as to increase the footprint. The cage is optimized somewhat to protect the drivers side. I have a flat X in the pass side but formed a protruding pyramid on the drivers side. The drivers side X will get the taco treatment and a sill plate as (crudely) outlined in green in the picture. I will be installing lots of tacos in the framework and connections from the tubing to the unibody. The roof line X is arched over the driver for increased head room but flat on the right side. I still have the front and rear susp tubing work to cut and install. There will be 1.5 dia tubing running from the knee cracker door X node to the strut tower box and then only smaller dia tubing running from it top the front T bar pickup. In back there will be tubing running from the rear upper door X to hoop bar node to the rear strut mount as well as to the T bar where the trans/ swing arm mounts are. Most will be in smaller dia tube.
Every once in a while a tool works as well as you expect it to. I bought a good fish mouth tool that uses common hole saw bits to drill through the tubing. I am still on the first bit and it just might survive the entire job. At $9 for a i.5 dia bit that’s cheap consumables. The adjustment is seamless and it is strong enough that I can tweak the angles and shave off small amounts to dial in a fit up nice and tight. Simple bender might not be real fast or sexy tool but cranks out good bends when (if) I get the calculations right.
Attached Images

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Looks nice. I like the homebrew media blasting cabinet in the background, too. Is that rust or some residue from welding/whatever?
1999 E46 328i
Old 01-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Looks cool but what is the taco treatment?

Mmmmmm tacos....
Old 01-07-2007, 10:52 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Kurt,

I think you need to re-do the top "X" to be bowed out on both sides--how am I going to fit as a passenger the way you have it now? Or were you planning on me driving you you as the passenger?

Peter

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 01-08-2007, 12:30 AM

boardman

holy geez kurt beautiful car and amazing shop
Old 01-08-2007, 09:51 AM
cocainemakesyouthinner

}{arlequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSteve View Post
Looks cool but what is the taco treatment?

Mmmmmm tacos....
it's a curvy piece of metal, shaped like a taco, that gets welded on top of a joint in a rollcage for further reinforcement.

nice work kurt. (edit: nevermind )
i used to drove, you've probably never heard of me
Old 01-08-2007, 10:03 AM

Noah has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by }{arlequin View Post
it's a curvy piece of metal, shaped like a taco, that gets welded on top of a joint in a rollcage for further reinforcement.
The bigger, thicker tacos for this job -- the ones that come with extra guacamole and sour cream -- are called Taco Supremes.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Been at it a little more got the front fuel cell box in and the susp points tied in. Fuel cell will be mounted to the right and the brake system will tuck in on the left. The oil tank will be right behind the fuel cell on the right side with a good hole free firewall between me and the oil and fuel. With the fuel cell offset i can install a removable aluminum box X on top of the box I built with fixed tabs and bolts to complete the frame and make a stiff box. I do not plan to tie the fuel cell box to the outer skin or front corners. I want the box not to be impinged upon until the car sheet-metal gets crushed in that far. The lower box points are welded to the front A arm mount and the upper end of the steering rack mount bar.
Most of tubes are fully welded up but there is still a tube or two to go in. I might add a tube from the upper right cage node to the lower far left rear strut tube bar node if I find that there is no way to have a "mechanics seat" in the right side. The harness bar tube is still to be installed and welded up after I calculate where it needs to be. I am going to add triangulation to the rear swing inner mounts after I replace them with adjustable type and also tube and box the rear strut cross bar. Gratuitous picture of the new sign too. (BTW, What looks like terminal body rust is surface flash and comes right off easy)
Attached Images

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.