Lighting Issue With the Targa... - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Lighting Issue With the Targa...

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:58 PM

VRSENVL
Default Lighting Issue With the Targa...

Merry Christmas everyone!

Just returned for the holidays from Germany and wanted to pull the Targa out of storage for a run. Started up perfectly and let it run for a few minutes. Just before taking it out, I did a quick walk around and noticed that my driver side tail light and the passenger side side marker light were out. Checking the fuses, I saw that a fuse had burnt out. Went to the store, bought new fuses, replaced, and turning on the lights burnt it out again immediately.

I didn’t think that fuse ran along opposite lights like that, so I’m a little confused. Any ideas guys? I’m thinking it’s a ground wire but I didn’t have much time to investigate a whole bunch. Would appreciate any help!
Old 12-24-2019, 03:29 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Bad factory ground won't trip the fuse. Bad ground would be no light and good fuse. Fuse blow is indicative of a short. At some point between the fuse and the intended ground, which would be after the powered device, the 12V power is grounding out.

First off what year targa do you have?

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:51 PM

VRSENVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
Bad factory ground won't trip the fuse. Bad ground would be no light and good fuse. Fuse blow is indicative of a short. At some point between the fuse and the intended ground, which would be after the powered device, the 12V power is grounding out.

First off what year targa do you have?
1988...this makes sense, although are these two lights typically along the same fuse/line?
Old 12-24-2019, 08:06 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Year?
1999 E46 328i
Old 12-25-2019, 12:21 AM

VRSENVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
Year?
‘88
Old 12-25-2019, 06:46 AM

trytryagain

Left and right sides are different fuses so you may just have a bad bulb on one or the other.

2014 Cayman (Aka "Rubber Ducky")

1971 914 (back in the day)
Old 12-25-2019, 07:04 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

No more little kids blowing down the stairs at 4:30 am on Christmas morning. We have to wait for them to wander down when they feel like it yawning and scratching. In the mean time....

Start by looking at the visible wiring lines in the front and rear trunks. Parked 911s are attractive to mice and they like to munch on the wires. Got mice? Open the light for the side that is blowing the fuse and take a look to see if there is anything visible. Pull the bulb out and see if there is crud in the socket or the socket is rusted up.

Which fuse is blowing? #5?

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:14 PM

VRSENVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
No more little kids blowing down the stairs at 4:30 am on Christmas morning. We have to wait for them to wander down when they feel like it yawning and scratching. In the mean time....

Start by looking at the visible wiring lines in the front and rear trunks. Parked 911s are attractive to mice and they like to munch on the wires. Got mice? Open the light for the side that is blowing the fuse and take a look to see if there is anything visible. Pull the bulb out and see if there is crud in the socket or the socket is rusted up.

Which fuse is blowing? #5?
If I’m reading the fuse diagram correctly, it’s #6 (third fuse from the right)