Trying to put a two post lift + standard suburban garage - Page 10 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Trying to put a two post lift + standard suburban garage

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

BTW, when I started looking into the lift, there were three main benefits I thought I'd get:

1. The most obvious: ease of doing shit under the car. Self explanatory.
2. No more up-down-up-down so easier on my now middle aged joints.
3. Time - being able to wheel the toolbox under the car to work would save time. Turns out - it does in fact save a shitload to time. Seriously, it's awesome.

After using the lift for a weekend, I was surprised by a couple other benefits:

4. Less effort - sort of the same as #1, but I didn't really think about it at first. That picture of my son in the last post? He's removing an oxygen sensor from the lower exhaust. It was rusted in but good. An O2 sensor socket + 1/2" breaker bar and the ability to put your body weight into it = removed in 5 mins. Doing that while laying on the ground usually results in what looks like me doing some sort of idiotic pull ups while sliding across the garage floor.

5. Significantly less dirty. No more laying on the ground so no more shirts and pants covered in general garage dirt/grass/oil/grime. You can see in the picture next to my son there's a 20 gal oil drain with telescoping neck. Need to drain something? Raise it to the right height and drain - no splashing or dripping everywhere. Get a little on the floor? Easy to wipe up or mop up quickly no matter the size of the spill. Unless there's a really nasty project I can wrench all day, take off my gloves and wash my hands at the end and feel like a normal human being.
1999 E46 328i
Old 03-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
Bla bla bla. Bla bla bla. I can wrench all day, take off my gloves and wash my hands at the end and feel like a normal human being.
/ thread.

I had someone stop by with their car and a question. I spent some time and figured out what was wrong and what was needed to make it right. I carefully went over the steps and tools needed to do the work and then there was this long pause. I had to break it to him that 1. There was 4/5ths of a car on the lift. 2. There was a car under the lift. 3. there was a car sideways in front of the other two car in the shop. 4. There was a car in the driveway. 5. He was welcome to my jack and tools and I might even come out now and then to talk to the feet and legs sticking out but I no longer crawl under cars.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 03-28-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:12 PM

dnwong

Reviving this thread...

Chris where did you source your lift from and which installer did you use?

Thanks,
Dudley
86 951 Graphite / Burgundy
2002 BMW 530i
2008 Volvo XC90
1995 Chev Astro (workhorse going-bald)
My Garage Build
Old 06-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnwong View Post
Reviving this thread...

Chris where did you source your lift from and which installer did you use?

Thanks,
Dudley
PM sent
1999 E46 328i
Old 03-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Also different types of anchor bolts can achieve the same ballpark pull-out loads even though their embedment lengths vary. It is all info provided by the various anchor manufacturers. So you are not limited to the anchors recommended by the lift manufacturer if you know what the tension loads will be on the anchors. Epoxy-set tend have the shallowest embedment requirements, although proper installation is likely beyond many DIYers as they may not respect the need to thoroughly clean the holes and also will likely not have a suitable calibrated torque wrench to confirm the installation prior to bolting in the lift.

- 2024 is the year, beeches...
Old 03-28-2016, 03:30 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Most lift makers supply the anchors. If it is an ALI certified lift you should use the included anchors to maintain the cert. Setting and final torque is made right through the lift base plates. Stand the posts and drill right through the holes in the base plate. Vacuum and brush out the holes. Drive in the anchors, level the posts, torque to the setting values. Recheck the posts for level and fix if needed then go to the final values. Use lift recheck torque after a while.

As DD said adding 2 part epoxy increases the pull out quite a bit. I found that this is most important for clamping devices subject to high vibration. The setting compounds keep the anchors from wiggling at all and grinding themselves loose.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:53 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Lift rating test load is 3X sticker so a 10K lift has to take 30,000 pounds and not fail or permanently deform. The only change for testing is the hydraulic pump and lines are replaced with beefed up rig for testing so it can actually lift 3X. They most often use a big stack O steel plates as a load.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:26 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
5. Significantly less dirty. No more laying on the ground so no more shirts and pants covered in general garage dirt/grass/oil/grime....
I seriously spit G&T all over my keyboard when I read this!! Can't believe for a minute our very own Jazz would let his floor get "dirty"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
I like to have rebar set 18" on center along with the standard construction mesh embedded in all slabs garage or not. Rebar better resists vertical alinment shifting than just mesh . Slab stays flat.
I used 12" on mine. That's why the installers were so pissed! It seemed that every time they drilled a hole they hit steel!!!

This thread seems to have shifted to a nerd dual!!! Manly topics, but NURD just the same

I'm just waiting for SMD to chime in to set everyone straight and make this SOLID GOLD!!!111!!!

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 06-17-2016, 08:34 AM

onboost

We did a Max-Jax lift about a year ago in an urban environment.. Ha! My cousin's smallish yet fairly-well equipped single car garage in DC.
Between the two of us, we've got most of what we need to get the jobs done.

It was pretty straight forward, was surprised to find a 6" slab.. we only had to adjust measurements once after hitting something.
Rebar I believe. Max-Jax talks about this thing being portable or easily removed when not needed... that a joke, its a PIA and will not be moved or stored anywhere.. its in place to stay!

Name:  20150919_193018.jpeg
Views: 276
Size:  148.1 KB
RGruppe #180
PCA Potomac + 35yrs
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 06-17-2016, 11:33 AM

dnwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
We did a Max-Jax lift about a year ago in an urban environment.. Ha! My cousin's smallish yet fairly-well equipped single car garage in DC.
Between the two of us, we've got most of what we need to get the jobs done.

It was pretty straight forward, was surprised to find a 6" slab.. we only had to adjust measurements once after hitting something.
Rebar I believe. Max-Jax talks about this thing being portable or easily removed when not needed... that a joke, its a PIA and will not be moved or stored anywhere.. its in place to stay!
Yeah, if you look at the ads, they show you how easy it is to move it in large garage spaces where you can get around the lift. Most people with large spaces would get a permanent lift anyways...
86 951 Graphite / Burgundy
2002 BMW 530i
2008 Volvo XC90
1995 Chev Astro (workhorse going-bald)
My Garage Build