Seat/harness/roll bar - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Seat/harness/roll bar

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:39 AM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera51 View Post
Not a defect in the roll bar, but an example of a poor install. Every bolt in roll bar I have seen, comes with reinforcement plates which are supposed to be used when installing the roll bar.
Depends. Autopower early-911 bars come w/ backing plates that sandwich the floor in the middle. Isn't going to stop it from punching through the floor. Its just a poor design. There are better avail. OG used to sell one that was good and sat on the frame rails. I copied it when I made mine
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 02-17-2015, 09:54 AM

old worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera51 View Post
Based on the photo, it appears that an improper installation was the reason for the roll bar pushing through the floor. Not a defect in the roll bar, but an example of a poor install. Every bolt in roll bar I have seen, comes with reinforcement plates which are supposed to be used when installing the roll bar. Question is was this a bolt in roll bar purchased from a manufacturer, or a home built roll bar.

Seems like all too often fingers get pointed at the safety gear in examples like this, without looking at how it was installed. In this case, if a Mustang has weak floors, why would you bolt a roll bar through them without doing anything to reinforce the attachment points? Personally, if I was building a track car today, I would have a proper cage built and installed by a good cage builder like Piper or in the case of the attached photos, my friend Kenny who is a race engineer and fabricator for Flying Lizard Motorsports.
Agree Mark, you want someone with experience installing safety equipment.

One of my concerns with our current HPDE program is we let people with less or no incident experience determine what equipment is needed, the driver!!!. We allow drivers to run at speeds well past factory safety equipment capabilities.....150mph in a factory stock GT3 or Cayman R? Really? Many years ago SCCA changed the rules from roll bars in production based cars to requiring a full cage. About 1983, give or take a year. So to address the roll bar car question in todays very fast production cars, that may not be enough protection in an end over end..... SCCA experience showed that after 115mph end over ends were likely. Roll bars do not give enough protection in end over ends. This is a math problem.
GT3 GTi
Old 02-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by old worker View Post

One of my concerns with our current HPDE program is we let people with less or no incident experience determine what equipment is needed...
If you are referring to PCA and PCAP in particular you are mistaken!! If you look at PCAP’s Tech Inspection sheet you will quickly see that they have carefully thought out what safety equipment is needed and what needs to be checked. The balance has always been to offer a opportunity for folk to learn and enjoy their cars in a reasonably safe controlled environment. Sure, we all would be safer in cars w/full cages, fire suits, Hans devices and harness but how many would be willing to add those to a mostly street driven car??

Sure the potencial lap times of modern cars far exceeds those of full on racers just a few years ago. But it’s better to have drovers learn their cars capabilities on other than public roads.

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 02-17-2015, 03:01 PM

old worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak Ratt View Post
If you are referring to PCA and PCAP in particular you are mistaken!! If you look at PCAP’s Tech Inspection sheet you will quickly see that they have carefully thought out what safety equipment is needed and what needs to be checked. The balance has always been to offer a opportunity for folk to learn and enjoy their cars in a reasonably safe controlled environment. Sure, we all would be safer in cars w/full cages, fire suits, Hans devices and harness but how many would be willing to add those to a mostly street driven car??

Sure the potencial lap times of modern cars far exceeds those of full on racers just a few years ago. But it’s better to have drovers learn their cars capabilities on other than public roads.
I might be confused, would not be the first time..... the point I was trying to make was the "driver" controls what safety equipment is used in their car on track in HPDE. A lite inspection of the car is done at the track by us. Dated items on race equipment and checking for non approved items for the most part on added safety items. The driver is then allowed to track that car at whatever speed they want. Where anyone stands on this practice is allowed to be personal choice by National and the regions. If an instructor is in the car, then they control 1. if the car is safe enough to ride in 2. how fast they will allow the student to drive that car while the instructor is in the right seat. Once a soloed student starts chasing lap times or other cars the line between racing and HPDE is difficult to see. From this point on this subject is a three day conversation.
Roll bars do a very good job if the car is rolling side over side ..... but end over end is a different situation. In HPDE the driver can choose to subject yourself to the added risk to save money. No more, no less.
GT3 GTi
Old 02-17-2015, 12:22 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by old worker View Post

One of my concerns with our current HPDE program is we let people with less or no incident experience determine what equipment is needed, the driver!!!. We allow drivers to run at speeds well past factory safety equipment capabilities.....150mph in a factory stock GT3 or Cayman R? Really? Many years ago SCCA changed the rules from roll bars in production based cars to requiring a full cage. About 1983, give or take a year. So to address the roll bar car question in todays very fast production cars, that may not be enough protection in an end over end..... SCCA experience showed that after 115mph end over ends were likely. Roll bars do not give enough protection in end over ends. This is a math problem.
You are talking Racing. We are taking DE. Two entirely different things that happen to share a race track. you cannot require the same mods to a DE car as a race car or you defeat the intent of DE.

Roll bars don't add much improvement to the impact protection of a driver. Roof crush is about it.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

How does weight influence likelyhood?

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:35 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
How does weight influence likelyhood?
The heavier the less likely to be picked up before closing time.

- 2024 is the year, beeches...
Old 02-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
... sorry, I always thought the heavier ones were more likely to be picked up at closing time??? Your know any portal in a storm

Or is that what you are implying boy-o

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 02-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak Ratt View Post
... sorry, I always thought the heavier ones were more likely to be picked up at closing time???
The answer is C. All of the above.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

It also does not take into account increase passenger compartment protection (by way of energy absorption outside the compartment) in the newer cars. the 'baseline' for stock protection has improved quite a bit in the typical German cars most here use on the track.

- 2024 is the year, beeches...