Pool table refinishing - Bending laminate/Formica over rounded edge - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Pool table refinishing - Bending laminate/Formica over rounded edge

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Site Admin

Charlie Stylianos has disabled reputation
Default Pool table refinishing - Bending laminate/Formica over rounded edge

A bit OT, but should be a fun/interesting project and learning adventure.

I recently bought a ~1960's pool table and would like to relaminate the exposed surfaces. The majority of the finish is in good shape, but 50 years of wear/tare has taken it's toll on some of the edges and dents here and there. The table is totally disassembled, so no better time to take this on along with new cushions and felt.

The original laminate is 1/32" thick and not wood veneer. Definitely some type of faux wood grain Formica or similar. Removing the old laminate, installing new and trimming the edges on the flat surfaces I think I can handle.

The rounded edges on the rails I think I'll need a little help with. Best I can measure the radius is 1.5" - 1.75". Documentation for vertical grade laminate (1/32") states it can be formed/molded to this radius or smaller with heat. It will crack trying to bend it cold. How would you go about fitting/bending/setting around this edge? Clamp, heat, bend, let it cool, then glue? Thoughts appreciated.
Attached Images