Generators - Dorkiphus.net

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:30 AM

forklift
Default Generators

I've been meaning to buy a generator for a few years now and this storm got me to pull the trigger. Have a Yamaha 4500 arriving tomorrow. Needed something quiet.

I bought a 10 gauge cord and will run some smaller ones from that for the fridge, computer(s), tv/cable etc.

Space is limitied so I plan on keeping outside but covered.

How much fuel do you keep on hand when a storm approaches? I filled up (4) 5 gallon jugs in case we lost power and now will put it in the truck but wondering how much everyone else usually gets. Also I guess I need to drain the unused fuel when power comes back on?

And...when it is running in the rain or snow, I was going to let it run on my covered porch but on the outside which is about 4' from the house. I would think this is far enough away but not sure. Comments?

Thanks.
Jim, ex P-car: 93 RSA, G stock #222
Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Jase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threads

I've been doing a lot of reading up on types and reviews here:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/

I'm sure there are a lot of "it depends" answers for size / rating on which to buy.

Also seems like 8kw is top "emergency" portable types without having to hardwire 30 amp inlet switch (for practical purposes). Briggs & Stratton (details HERE) and Generac ~ $1.1k seem right for me so far. Not going to drop $3k+ on this for the "Cadillac" version.

30 amp (10 circuit) power transfer kit seems like it might work. Details HERE

Would like to power my very small home in summer and winter. Central air may be off the list but at least one 10k btu window AC unit needs to get factored in to the equation.

Handy charts/calculators for load on that site.

'58 -'76 P-cars
SSPI ~ JScott Racing
Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

I got a generator off Vicegrip a year or so ago and other than pull it out once in a while and run it, have not had to use it in a storm yet. But my prep is this:

- Fill 5 gal and 3 gal gas cans before storm. And the 911 (22 gal). Very easy to pull the fuel level sender in the 911 and pump the gas out if need be, so that gives me 30 gal reserve without leaving the house.

- Run mine on the deck out back, uncovered.

- I have cords to run to the fridge, sump pump and some lights. However, seriously looking at installing a transfer switch on 6 - 10 circuits so I can run things like the furnace fan, the range, and the garage door opener.

- Maintenance wise, when done I drain most of the tank and add some fuel stabilizer to the little that remains. Run the engine for a while to get the gas w/ stabilizer into the carb, then shut off the fuel line and let the engine run out of fuel. Drain the rest of the tank and put it away.
1999 E46 328i
Old 10-30-2012, 11:03 AM

forklift

Thanks. I went w/ a Yamaha ($$$) due to being very quiet (as is Honda I understand) and they are supposed to last the longest so the price per hour (is supposed to be) the lowest.

Good idea on taking the fuel out of the 911 although I have a 100 octane chip so that would be expensive (and I leave the fuel low in the winter and top off w/ fresh in the spring).

Interesting about the transfer switch, will look into that.

Thanks for the maintenance tips!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Speaking of gouging...I looked on CL. There was a local for for $1000. I googled the model and specs and it sells for $500.

Where do you keep these when you're not using them?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:13 AM

cmartin

I figured I wasnt the only one thinking about this.

Do you really need an inverter type generator to run electronics? Last thing I want to do is screw up the home equipment.

Of course the quieter units cost more, what's a real world db value that's quiet enough? It seems most are ~73 db or low 60's. Big price difference.

I was leaning towards a whole house version plumbed to a propane tank but it seems contractors have you over the barrel on these and want a mint for the hookup.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:20 AM

Jase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threads

Jim:

The manual panel / switch seems like a good solution. Auto switch is more $$. I like the idea of plugging generator into remote inlet which can be 100' run to switch and panel. My main electric panel is on 2nd floor in a bedroom, extremely inconvenient.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase007 View Post
Jim:

The manual panel / switch seems like a good solution. Auto switch is more $$. I like the idea of plugging generator into remote inlet which can be 100' run to switch and panel. My main electric panel is on 2nd floor in a bedroom, extremely inconvenient.
For a portable generator, a manual transfer switch is the right option IMO. I can't see why you'd use an ATS unless you had an auto start built in emergency generator.
1999 E46 328i
Old 10-30-2012, 11:41 AM

forklift

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
I figured I wasnt the only one thinking about this.

Do you really need an inverter type generator to run electronics? Last thing I want to do is screw up the home equipment.

Of course the quieter units cost more, what's a real world db value that's quiet enough? It seems most are ~73 db or low 60's. Big price difference.

I was leaning towards a whole house version plumbed to a propane tank but it seems contractors have you over the barrel on these and want a mint for the hookup.
After doing my usual many google searches and reading reviews I was drawn to the Yamaha for safe and quiet power. My neighbors live close and would like to run at night if needed (I wouldn't be too happy with neighbors if they ran the equivelent of a lawn mower at 2 am). Also just want to buy once and last a long time. Yamaha seemed to have no downsides except cost but as pointed out in thier vid/ad since it (should) last longer the price per hour should be lower:

Hopefully I made the right decision and it lasts a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase007 View Post
Jim:

Thanks, my panel is in the garage near the door so should be relatively easy.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 AM

Baywatch

I was wondering if an aftermarket amp alternator can be attached to a large SUV for true emergency use. I understand fuel efficiency is an issue, but for a 24 hour period it may be worth the cost.

Porsche Fan
Skidpad Fanatical

www.RoadPotomac.com

23 Ford Ranger Tremor
16 981 GT4
14 991 C2 (Gone)
10 Cayenne GTS (Gone)
02 996 Cabriolet (Gone)
79 928 Driveway Queen (Gone)
04 Ford Expedition (Gone)
07 Ford Expedition EL (Gone)