Tires for DE - how old is too old? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Tires for DE - how old is too old?

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:20 AM

racer
Default Tires for DE - how old is too old?

Just curious if DE Tech check tire date codes? or merely for sidewall cracks?

All over the tech form is items like "brake fluid date change", "Harness expiration dates" and "seat dates", "Helmet dates", likely even HANS dates but I don't recall ever seeing a "tires must be 5 years or newer" thing.

Now, most dedicated track junkies wear out tires before they age out so maybe its not an issue.. but thought I would ask.
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc
Old 01-21-2021, 09:07 AM

Dandelion

We look at tire condition - but since many drivers don't come to pre-tech with their track tires, and it's hard to check tire condition in grid tech, it's an area which drivers need to keep an eye on for themselves. It is recommended to check tires and brakes after every session.

If a person were to really want to sneak tires in poor condition through tech...maybe that person's priorities are questionable.

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 01-21-2021, 09:32 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Each driver must sign their Tech Form confirming they are personally responsible for the condition of their vehicle.

But seriously, would you go out with tires you think might fail just to save a few bucks while putting everyone else on the track (and their cars) in jeopardy.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 01-21-2021, 09:40 AM

racer

On my recent acquisition, the car came with 3 sets of tires. The RA1s were "rains" and hardly used. The main tires are worn. I think both sets are from 2017 but I need to check. Given the cars use ( or lack there of recently) and garaged storage they are likely fine. Just wondered if it was something inspected. Maybe more an issue for green/blue cars as they may be street cars with old tires vs as I mentioned someone who's replacing tires 1-3x a year as wear dictates, vs a time issue. I am actually going to look for new tires because I would prefer a wider footprint than what I currently have, but might keep an older set as back up.
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc
Old 01-21-2021, 09:46 AM

tomfree

Yeah, there are so many variables with how long a tire can be acceptable for track usage. If R-comps are stored off the car, bagged, and preferably where they don't get too hot or cold, they'll be safe beyond 4-5 years. Safe, but not fast.

I haven't done a PCA event in years, but I don't think anyone looks at production dates on a tire, they're just going to look for dryrot/cracking as well as cords.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:04 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Depends on how slow you want to go. Have any of us seen an age related failure on track?

Age does impact grip. Does grip impact impacts?

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:15 AM
Cushion Convector

BMAN

Witnessed a bad wreck at VIR years ago assumed to be caused by old set of R6 tires. They looked fine but were 3-4 years old. Tire gave out at the end of the back straight, ugly. Driver ok, car done.

I do look at date codes when getting into a student’s car. Especially in the rain. I also ask where the car/tires are kept. 4 year old tires, kept outside are likely to perform different than garage kept.
'72 E
'80 Weissach SC
'94 C2
'05 996 GT3 CUP
'09 White Winged Cayman S (Hers, all hers!)
'11 GTS/C4S Donuts
'15 Boxster S #Blubyu
Old 01-21-2021, 02:37 PM

Paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN View Post
Witnessed a bad wreck at VIR years ago assumed to be caused by old set of R6 tires. They looked fine but were 3-4 years old. Tire gave out at the end of the back straight, ugly. Driver ok, car done.

I do look at date codes when getting into a student’s car. Especially in the rain. I also ask where the car/tires are kept. 4 year old tires, kept outside are likely to perform different than garage kept.
Yep, poor Toby's car was destroyed by old/used R6 rubber. I had a takeoff Michelin slick that delaminated at VIR that destroyed my rear quarter and I quickly learned not to trust old rubber. It's a silly expensive hobby, but new rubber is much cheaper than a 993 quarter panel, bumper, paint, etc.

Older slick that delaminated at WGI damage:
Attached Images

02 BMW Spec E46 #27
01 Boxster
86 944- AER/Chump #33
20 F250 Tremor
Old 01-21-2021, 03:00 PM

Chopper Dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN View Post

That could have been a time when a lot of folk were getting blowouts on R6s seemed to be a lot of 964s, that was also not on necessarily old tyres.
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 01-21-2021, 03:27 PM

tomfree

This is a bit of a non-sequitur, but for those of us competing in the HPDE national championship, it's harder and harder every year to justify r-comps over street tires. The current crop of street tires are SO good. I have lots of laps on RE-71Rs and Hankook Vwhatevers. They're better/faster than some race tires I've run in years past (Nitto NT-01, Maxxis Victra RC-1, older RA-1, V710, etc.).