Troubles with Transaxles in Silver Spring (944 N/A) - Page 5 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Troubles with Transaxles in Silver Spring (944 N/A)

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:42 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Wow. That sucks pretty bad. How cheap are used fo-fo transmissions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedRacer View Post
No problem.
1999 E46 328i
Old 04-30-2016, 09:44 PM

CrookedRacer

Today I went out to "Just Joshin Porsche 944 Parts" http://www.porsche944usedparts.com/ to pick up a new-to-me transaxle.

It's an ASG-code (http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/trans-04.htm) unit which came out of an '89 NA car whose timing belt broke. It has the short fifth gear like my old one did, with only very small differences in the other gear ratios. Same final drive ratio as mine. And it looks like it'll drop right in.

John believes the '89's and beyond were made with stronger ring and pinion parts. I hope he's right.

By the way, if you need used parts for your 944, he's a great resource for us 944/951/968 owners. Plus, if you happen to be at the track, he's only 20 minutes from Summit Point. He has a small yard that's tucked between a creek and an old railway in an idyllic rural setting. It's so peaceful there, I stayed and talked probably longer than I should have.

I also happened to recall from the previous owner's service records that a short shifter had been installed at the transaxle on my car. So John helped me take that off the core, and I'll swap it onto this one. It looks better than the stock linkage.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:56 PM

CrookedRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
Wow. That sucks pretty bad. How cheap are used fo-fo transmissions?
I paid $400 for mine, which matches the price of a short-fifth gearbox on his website. I didn't haggle.

John did offer me $100 for my core, because the short-fifth gear ring in it is probably still good. From what I understand, he's got a buyer that salvages them and converts tall-fifth gearboxes to short-fifth gearboxes as a service.

Initially I thought I'd keep my gearbox and rebuild it as a spare. But then I thought better of it and brought my broken one to John for the core refund.

So it was a net $300 for the replacement, and John even threw in an intact shift rod protector sleeve. I'm pretty sure I damaged mine as I removed my gearbox. Like I said, he's a great resource for us in the DC area.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:58 PM

CrookedRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel View Post
Ouch! I bet that sounded horrible when it happened.
Yeah. Mechanical mayhem. Plus skidding and skipping of the tires.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:28 PM

HughA44s has one HoF thread

Nice Kill!!!! No intermittent failure here. Sounds like the replacement wasn't to spendy.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:34 PM

CrookedRacer

Here is my short shifter, installed on the new transaxle.

The heim joint has absolutely no play in it, so I expect a really responsive feel.

The stock shifter had all sorts of play...

I can't wait to get this back on the car!
Old 05-09-2016, 02:36 PM

CrookedRacer
Default Fixed!

The transaxle is in the car and it works!

There were a couple things I'd do differently.

1) In one online procedure I came across, it was suggested that you block the torque tube so it doesn't lower. Well that makes it really difficult to clear the support crossmember and transmission mount above the transaxle. Don't do that. Maybe put a thin wooden shim between the torque tube and the torsion bar to protect both if you must, but even that little bit of clearance would have made things a LOT easier.

2) Have a competent jack wrangler. You need someone who understands how a jack works, how to lower it with precision, and what to do to raise it up again. My 9 year old nephew did his best (and he wasn't terribly bad at it either - he did nothing dangerous), but it took my 44 year old brother to make a successful hoist.

I'll say my 9 year old nephew did learn some new words, though.

Otherwise, it went in ok. It was especially difficult with the torque tube at full height, though. I had to twist the transaxle to get its bell housing past the shift rod.

I felt smart for waiting to see if the transaxle worked before wasting three quarts of gear oil on it. It works. So I'll waste the gear oil on it now.

I hope this helps folks out there. And thanks for all your comments and suggestions!
Old 05-14-2016, 07:28 AM

HughA44s has one HoF thread

Nice - Glad it work out and another 944 saved.