Consignment dealer in the DC/Baltimore area? - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Consignment dealer in the DC/Baltimore area?

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:23 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael lang View Post
John, I’m very sorry for the loss of your friend and to his family.

Being a service advisor at the same Mercedes Benz dealer here in Washington for the last 21 years I have many clients that I have built relationships with that have come to me with similar situations. It’s heart breaking to hear that someone that I have worked with so closely for so many years is no longer around and their spouse/kids/other relatives don’t know what to do with the deceased cars. Depending on the family situation, Kurt’s recommendation of taking the car to a Porsche dealer and having the appraisal performed will be the quickest way to allow the family to move on to the next car, next possession, next step in the process they are going through. I will tell you that negotiation will be little if any as you have to remember a PreOwned dept manager will be looking strictly at the numbers and will have little concern at that point how well the car was taken care of, what upgrades have been performed, etc... It’s only a numbers game and just another car as far as he’s concerned. The family would strictly be using that route as a matter of convenience. BaT is a good option if the family is wanting to get the true retail value for the car but, if you’ve never gone through the process I warn you it’s a huge amount of work to write the BaT listing and a lot of back and forth between the writers and the seller before the posting is actually listed. I sold a car on BaT, it took three weeks to get the listing posted, a week for the ad and then it was another two weeks to actually get the car sold because the winning bidder tried to renegotiate the terms after the sale was completed. BaT arbitrators stepped in and dealt with it but it was just an overall pain in the ass dealing with it. So much so that you’d wished that you just went the easy route.

You’ll get a lot of great suggestions here but the bottom line is you and this person’s family & his other friends have lost someone very dear to them and that’s way more important than messing around with some stupid car.
This is very good advice if the car is a low mileage unmodified car. Otherwise the dealership will not give you as much for an enthusiast spec car. I’ve traded a few cars so just be prepared if the car has a history of tracking it’s not worth the time and trouble.

Much better option would be to post the car here in hope of finding a fellow track junkie.

Again sorry for your loss.

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 05-02-2021, 08:32 PM

cmartin

Quote:
Much better option would be to post the car here in hope of finding a fellow track junkie.
varying levels of effort for sure. I always like the idea of a fair price for both sides between friends here on Dokiphus. But someone wants a ppi, then a record, title issue... selling a car can be a PITA. I hate that! Tough conversation with the family, if/when they are ready to see how much they need/want for it vs level of effort to obtain that. Good on you for helping.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:03 PM

Chopper Dropper

When BAT, really seller paid the $390 what ever, I organised the photo shoot, no biggy, proof read and suggested changes, sent some extra photos to incorporate. Did take a few weeks from pulling the trigger, Need to be available to be proactive on the comments to generate more interest and answer questions, add extra driving videos if possible. Once winning bidder contact made and rest was out of my hands. If seller does not come through they will be banned, no renogiating as I had no reserve.
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 05-02-2021, 11:20 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
varying levels of effort for sure. I always like the idea of a fair price for both sides between friends here on Dorkiphus.
Your zero effort buyer is right here:

https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=41127

Last edited by Patrick3000; 05-03-2021 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Chris is spot on
Old 05-06-2021, 05:30 PM

jbse39

Appreciate everyone's input and thoughts, we have all available service records scanned and entered into spreadsheet. I am going to wash the car and take decent photos and share them with the community here.

Thank you.

John
Old 06-21-2021, 10:07 AM

jbse39

Just to update everyone who offered to help and provided info on the thread, I connected an interested party from this board with the family and the car was officially sold last week, from what I have heard. Thanks again, everyone.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:20 AM

cmartin

great news, thanks for the update
Old 06-21-2021, 10:41 AM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbse39 View Post
Just to update everyone who offered to help and provided info on the thread, I connected an interested party from this board with the family and the car was officially sold last week, from what I have heard. Thanks again, everyone.
Congratulations to everyone involved, well done!