wings and wing extended uprights - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » wings and wing extended uprights

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-27-2020, 12:41 PM
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 890
Otto
Default wings and wing extended uprights

ok

crazy is setting in

i started out the season only wanting 18 wheels, more camber, and a lower car

that is done!

with all events cancelled or postponed i am wondering if buying the fresh nt01 tires was a waste of money

but maybe i can make it to an autocross or two before seasons end

and perhaps i can do more to the car - like a splitter and wing!

i am considering the composite concepts "gt4" carbon fiber wing

but i have a question for those of you that have such wings on your track cars

are the upright extensions a good thing, or not?

comments would be appreciated

otto
__________________
Otto

#906
2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S - retired
2006 Boxster S
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-2020, 03:03 PM
Patrick3000's Avatar
Patrick3000 Patrick3000 is offline
I need another Porsche
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bethesda
Posts: 2,679
Patrick3000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
ok

crazy is setting in

i started out the season only wanting 18 wheels, more camber, and a lower car

that is done!

otto
Big fail, pictures or it didnít happen

Letís see you new bling
__________________
Karl

18 GT3T -
11 997 C2S - Aerokit Cup
04 996 GT3 - HPDE
96 993 C4S -
08 535i - DD
19 Beetle Conv - Hers
01 Mustang - Kid

Sold: 86 951, 14 911-50, 79 911SC, 74 914/6, 11 997.2 C2S, 88 944, 16 GT4, 13 Boxster, 1973 914/4 2.0, 1980 911SC ROW w/3.2, 77 911S Targa, 1970 914GT 3.2, 71 914/4 2.4, 76 912E, 89 944S2, 1980 924 Turbo, 98 Boxster, 70 911T, 72 914, 75 914, 73 914, 87 944, 74 911, 72 914 - 97 M3, 06 M3, 95 M3, 98 328is, 95 530i, 95 328is
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2020, 04:32 PM
Dandelion's Avatar
Dandelion Dandelion is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Herndon/Reston, VA
Posts: 1,804
Dandelion
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
i started out the season only wanting 18 wheels, more camber, and a lower car

Here's your 18 wheels:
Attached Images
 
__________________
ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2020, 05:12 PM
trytryagain's Avatar
trytryagain trytryagain is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 773
trytryagain
Default

Bman’s Cayman uses a Getty wing and splitter obtainable I think through BGB Motorsports in Florida. I always thought it was the best looking and actually functional “real” wing for our cars.
__________________
Jim C.

2014 Cayman (Aka "Rubber Ducky")

1971 914 (back in the day)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2020, 08:33 PM
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 890
Otto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick3000 View Post
Big fail, pictures or it didnít happen

Letís see you new bling
i posted a photo of the new wheels and lower stance on facebook, but it was not a great photo

i will try to get a better one for you
__________________
Otto

#906
2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S - retired
2006 Boxster S
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2020, 08:50 PM
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 890
Otto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytryagain View Post
Bmanís Cayman uses a Getty wing and splitter obtainable I think through BGB Motorsports in Florida. I always thought it was the best looking and actually functional ďrealĒ wing for our cars.
i aspire to be like bman but it is a little more than i am willing to spend

the composite concepts wing is more cost effective at around $1000 and i am sure it has some down force

i belive it is the same wing dan dazzo put on his 987

i am also considering just a duck tail enhanced replacement for the stock pop up wing from TWL but that is about the same price as the composite concepts wing

i do like the TWL splitter
__________________
Otto

#906
2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S - retired
2006 Boxster S
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-28-2020, 09:05 AM
Chopper Dropper's Avatar
Chopper Dropper Chopper Dropper is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Easton, Md
Posts: 3,153
Chopper Dropper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
i aspire to be like bman but it is a little more than i am willing to spend

the composite concepts wing is more cost effective at around $1000 and i am sure it has some down force

i belive it is the same wing dan dazzo put on his 987

i am also considering just a duck tail enhanced replacement for the stock pop up wing from TWL but that is about the same price as the composite concepts wing

i do like the TWL splitter
Hi Otto, might have missed, but are you going to be trailering or driving on street? That can make a big difference on splitters and unwanted attention on the street!!
Dirk
__________________
Safety Chair, PCA Potomac Region
Retired DE Chair, PCA Potomac Region.
Retired Co-Chief Instructor PCA Potomac 2008-2012
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-29-2020, 09:25 AM
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 890
Otto
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper Dropper View Post
Hi Otto, might have missed, but are you going to be trailering or driving on street? That can make a big difference on splitters and unwanted attention on the street!!
Dirk
interesting point, but I have not heard of anyone being a target because of a wing on the car

I guess I could see where a high mounted wing could grab too much attention, is that what you are saying?
__________________
Otto

#906
2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S - retired
2006 Boxster S
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-29-2020, 09:28 AM
HoodPin's Avatar
HoodPin HoodPin is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Monrovia, MD
Posts: 10,567
HoodPin
Default

FWIW, with enlarged splitter and lowered suspension, getting the car on & off a trailer might be challenging. Either need longer ramps to reduce approach angle, or an easily removable splitter.
__________________
- Tony P.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 1989 944S2
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (the wife's)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 1979 RX7 enduro
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)

Gone but not forgotten
- 1986 944 (under new mgmt)
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)

"Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel." - The Doors
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-29-2020, 10:23 AM
Chopper Dropper's Avatar
Chopper Dropper Chopper Dropper is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Easton, Md
Posts: 3,153
Chopper Dropper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
interesting point, but I have not heard of anyone being a target because of a wing on the car

I guess I could see where a high mounted wing could grab too much attention, is that what you are saying?
Yes, and as Hoodpin says lowered and splitter can be a problem both loading on trailer and on street.
__________________
Safety Chair, PCA Potomac Region
Retired DE Chair, PCA Potomac Region.
Retired Co-Chief Instructor PCA Potomac 2008-2012
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump