'71 914-6 Restoration - Page 26 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » '71 914-6 Restoration

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:53 AM

Cairo94507

Well, looks like my 914-6 is going to have a new home soon. No, I am not selling my car. My wife and I bought 2.8 acres on a very quiet court with 7 homes total, all have similar size lots so lots of room and privacy. The house (new to us) is 21 years old and is a bit larger than our current home. The 3-car garage is 36' feet wide and 25' deep so it is a bit bigger too with a 10' ceiling.

That means I will be remodeling and possibly adding on to this garage; I might take it out to a 4-car. My current garage is really nice (I remodeled that about 4 years ago) and this one will be similar but different in some aspects.

But the garage is not the first priority. My twin bother and I are very close and I want him to live on our property. So he will build a 1200 sq. ft. ADU on the east side of our property. The thought at this time is to build his home on top of his garage. The garage would then be as close as possible to the foot print of the home- that would minimize the overall footprint and still give him a large garage. We want to design it with a mechanical room in the garage that would house all of the typical stuff as well as a compressor, washer/dryer, heat/AC, water heater, etc. That way it keeps the 1200 sq. ft. as real living space. If that is possible, and I believe it is as a neighbor just built an ADU on his lot with his shop below it, then I would likely leave my garage its current size and we would make my brother's garage our toy and his daily drivers garage.

Well, that's the plan. Never hurts to have a plan....

Last edited by Cairo94507; 09-06-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:31 AM

trytryagain

When I added a bay to my garage I wish I had included a floor drain to allow cleaning underneath the car while it’s up on the lift. Not sure if my local bureaucrats would have allowed this. But would be nice to have.

2014 Cayman (Aka "Rubber Ducky")

1971 914 (back in the day)
Old 09-06-2021, 09:53 AM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

Me too. It can be done but you need traps and other nonsense to keep oil from getting out.

A big plastic storage box works pretty well to catch runoff if you're not crazy with the hose.

Cairo: new digs soubd terrific, especially the part about your brother being nearby
Old 09-06-2021, 03:09 PM

Cairo94507

Thanks guys. Yeah we are pretty excited about that. We have been "designing" the garage in our heads so any thoughts you have like the in floor drain are all great ideas. Keep them coming. Cheers, Michael
Old 09-07-2021, 02:19 PM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

* If a 2 post lift is in your future, asymmetric is a major plus. Also, allow for more working space around the posts than you might be expecting.
* A hose bib in the garage is very nice
* A compressor outside is very nice
* Good quality hose/cord reels like Cox are worth paying for
* Jackshaft garage door openers are worth paying for
* Insulated doors and climate control may be worth looking at, depending on where you're moving to
* Install more lights than you think you need - you can always turn some off but you can't turn on what's not there
* Spread around the 230 volt outlets and install at least one 50A circuit, preferably where it could be useful for a car charger
* Consider putting wheels on everything, you'll probably reorganize a couple of times
Old 09-07-2021, 02:25 PM

Cairo94507

Hey edevinney - That's a nice list. I have already got a lot of that in my current garage and will be incorporating it into my next garage. I have always had a sink in my garage, but never a hose-bib. I think that's a good add. I also added electric car charging- even though I do not own one at the moment. I have owned EV's in the past and believe that to be an essential add for any new garage construction. I am going to have a 200 amp service to the house so that should cover it all. Thanks for your time and thoughts. Michael
Old 09-07-2021, 03:33 PM

JmuRiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevinney View Post
* If a 2 post lift is in your future, asymmetric is a major plus. Also, allow for more working space around the posts than you might be expecting.
* A hose bib in the garage is very nice
* A compressor outside is very nice
* Good quality hose/cord reels like Cox are worth paying for
* Jackshaft garage door openers are worth paying for
* Insulated doors and climate control may be worth looking at, depending on where you're moving to
* Install more lights than you think you need - you can always turn some off but you can't turn on what's not there
* Spread around the 230 volt outlets and install at least one 50A circuit, preferably where it could be useful for a car charger
* Consider putting wheels on everything, you'll probably reorganize a couple of times
Basically everything in ViceGrip's old garage
'99.5 A4 2.8QT
'65 Falcon 80
Old 09-08-2021, 08:06 AM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmuRiz View Post
Basically everything in ViceGrip's old garage
Well, I didn't say these were *my* good ideas 😀

I should have paid more attention to the lift. I prioritized US manufacture over asymmetric and low profile, and didn't think to leave an alternate mounting spot for asymmetric in the heated floor loops so the choice was literally set in stone.

Serious first-world problems, obviously, but my purpose in life is to be a lesson for others.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:02 AM

Cairo94507

OK, I have never owned a 2-post; what is the deal with an asymmetric post design? Also, is low-profile just that the lift is not as tall in total height as others?
Old 09-08-2021, 10:28 AM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

An asymmetric lift has short front and long rear arms, allowing the posts to sit forward of the middle of the car. This makes is much easier to open the doors.

Low profile arms go underneath low cars easily. I built some racking to drive on to get my 911 over the standard type arms but it's a pita and sometimes a little exciting.

Overall height is an important consideration and did drive my choice since my ceilings are ~10 feet and popping the posts up through the ceiling wasn't an option.