Apple CarPlay installation - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Apple CarPlay installation

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:32 PM

Nashunt
Default Apple CarPlay installation

I have a '09 997.2 with Bose and no plug in interface with the stereo/sound system. The phone will pair via Bluetooth but nothing else (no nav, Pandora, text, Siri, etc.) Really. There is no plug in in the console, glovebox or anywhere else and no AUX-in. I've checked it all, and it's not there. The option wasn't selected by the PO.

I'm considering adding Apple CarPlay (ACP). Has anyone on this forum installed it/had it installed?
--What are the disadvantages to ACP? What does it NOT do that you need?
--Who installed? Satisfied? What's the appx cost? (i have visited Hurleys and Charlie speaks highly of them. Any other POV on Hurleys? What to watch for?)
-- what type of radio unit? Pioneer, Kenwood? what others?

Please let me know; i hate to ball up the dash, but i need the latest technology. Thanks very much! Scott
Zipcars(s) many, many.

"Eddie would Go..."
Old 03-16-2018, 10:26 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Well, you missed out on a sale here about 4-8 weeks ago of a complete system. You can't just swap out the head unit with the Bose system - you need an "adapter" and many have used NAV-TV ($$$), but this post on Rennlist did it much less expensively and seems quite happy.

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 03-16-2018, 11:13 PM

4PCADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashunt View Post
I have a '09 997.2 with Bose and no plug in interface with the stereo/sound system. The phone will pair via Bluetooth but nothing else (no nav, Pandora, text, Siri, etc.) Really. There is no plug in in the console, glovebox or anywhere else and no AUX-in. I've checked it all, and it's not there. The option wasn't selected by the PO.

I'm considering adding Apple CarPlay (ACP). Has anyone on this forum installed it/had it installed?
--What are the disadvantages to ACP? What does it NOT do that you need?
--Who installed? Satisfied? What's the appx cost? (i have visited Hurleys and Charlie speaks highly of them. Any other POV on Hurleys? What to watch for?)
-- what type of radio unit? Pioneer, Kenwood? what others?

Please let me know; i hate to ball up the dash, but i need the latest technology. Thanks very much! Scott
I haven't done what you suggested but have used Hurley's. They did nice work for a fair price.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:22 AM

Casey914 has two HoF threadsCasey914 has two HoF threads

You will need a new head unit. I/we always recommended pioneer. I would recommend the guys that used to run DSI, they are in Maryland. When using all modern Porsches I just skip the nav and plug my phone In and use car play. I think it is great.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:13 PM

JoeG

This is for vicegrip

https://youtu.be/3Iz7ZMALaCY
Old 03-19-2018, 03:40 PM

Mark in Baltimore

I have had two Pioneer AVIC 5000 NEX units in two different cars and really like them. The model I bought has built-in NAV, but I don't believe I ever used it; Apple CarPlay is the sh*t and works wonderfully.

For multiple addresses, just copy and paste as many as you need in your smart phone calendar location bar. In the car, you can click on the address, and Apple Maps starts directions. It's really sweet. If you don't have the address in your calendar, the search feature in the maps will make suggestions if the address is one someone's email or text.

Text messaging and checking voice mail is terrific. You can access Siri by pressing the home button.

I mostly use Pandora and don't use Spotify, iHeart Radio, etc. It works fine most of the time but can be a bit buggy. Supposedly, this is a Pandora issue.

All of this means that the phone needs to be hardwired with a lightning cable to the receiver, so that can be clunky if you have an auxiliary battery that you need to remove.

That said, the Pioneer in the Miata stopped booting up a few weeks ago, so it's in for servicing. I think it's about $200 for a tech to fix it. If I had to do it over again, I'd save the money and get a receiver that didn't have a CD player and didn't have built-in NAV. Before I sent the Pioneer for servicing, I looked on Crutchfield's site to see if I was better off buying a new one. It would have cost me more to install a new one (not going to do it myself) even though the current units are relatively inexpensive.

I love Apple CarPlay so much that, when I was on the hunt for a Macan, I took the 2015 and 2016 models off of my search and concentrated entirely on 2017s with the new PCM and Apple CarPlay. Really, really happy I made that choice.

Looking for E39 BMW M5