Salvage title miata questions - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Salvage title miata questions

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 05-15-2023, 03:33 PM

John Clay
Default Salvage title miata questions

My eldest daughter is on a search for an NA Miata. She's looking at one from a dealer in New Hampshire. I don't know that she has the full story, but it has an engine that was replaced with a 60K mile engine and driven 10K miles since then. She was told the car had a salvage title because it sat so long needing a replacement engine. Does that story make any sense? I'll get some more details when I get home.

She's making calls about insuring it. Leeland West said no; she is checking with Hagerty.

As far as Maryland, does anyone have experience regarding inspections/tilte/tags for a salvage titled historic car? Any other considerations?

Thanks.
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 05-15-2023, 05:12 PM

zygomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clay View Post
My eldest daughter is on a search for an NA Miata. She's looking at one from a dealer in New Hampshire. I don't know that she has the full story, but it has an engine that was replaced with a 60K mile engine and driven 10K miles since then. She was told the car had a salvage title because it sat so long needing a replacement engine. Does that story make any sense? I'll get some more details when I get home.

She's making calls about insuring it. Leeland West said no; she is checking with Hagerty.

As far as Maryland, does anyone have experience regarding inspections/tilte/tags for a salvage titled historic car? Any other considerations?

Thanks.
No experience with salvage titles in MD, but has your daughter seen the ad in the For Sale section for the '97 Boxster for $6K (with hardtop)? I might err in that direction instead of a mystery box Miata.

"All my laps look like cool-down laps"

997 GT3 (lacking imagination, yet another 997)

987 Cayman R (gone, but I get to see it at DEs)
997 Carrera S (gone and missed)
997 C2S (gone)
944 S2 (gone)
Old 05-15-2023, 05:30 PM

John Clay

No Boxsters for her. My experience is $6K is a down payment on a Porsche.
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 05-15-2023, 05:32 PM

John Clay

I did get clarification that the salvage was due to a wreck - the shop she's talking to fixes and sells them.
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 05-15-2023, 06:00 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:

Thanks.
A couple of different categories for salvage vs. rebuilt etc.

I would recommend looking at at picture of the title, rebuilt in Maryland is a rubber stamp and the big farm insurance company all access the states doesn’t have an issue with rebuilt titles per my experience.

The bigger issue that I would have is putting my child in a car that was crashed and repaired without direct knowledge of how the car was fixed.

Salvage and/or rebuilt for theft flood and/or paint, I am much more comfortable with but that is just me.

I believe cars 20 years old (na Miata) or older can be registered as historic in Maryland and do not require an inspection. A few years ago Maryland updated the use restrictions on historic tags and I believe that you can be stopped and questioned without probable cause simply for having historic tags. Please do your research.

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche

Last edited by Patrick3000; 05-15-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:09 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Nice one here, I love spending your money

https://www.switchcars.com/cars-for-...azda-miata-mx5

Old 05-15-2023, 06:55 PM

John Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick3000 View Post
Nice one here, I love spending your money

https://www.switchcars.com/cars-for-...azda-miata-mx5
It's not my money you're spending.

Clearly there is safety concerns putting anyone in a 30 year-old car; especially a 2200lbs convertible. Then add the repairs concern. I tried to tell her NA's are so expensive now that she should just get a current generation ND for a little more $. But she's not interested in anything without popup headlights.

Here is the information from the shop's purchase:

https://stat.vin/cars/JM1NA3515N0328396
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 05-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

I’d pass (on the right hand side if necessary) at speed if necessary! Price isn’t that good!

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 05-15-2023, 07:33 PM

John Clay

This one will be gone by tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...a-51bf4847382e

Looking for local ones is tough because so many have rust.
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 05-15-2023, 07:41 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:
It's not my money you're spending.

Clearly there is safety concerns putting anyone in a 30 year-old car; especially a 2200lbs convertible. Then add the repairs concern. I tried to tell her NA's are so expensive now that she should just get a current generation ND for a little more $. But she's not interested in anything without popup headlights.

Here is the information from the shop's purchase:

https://stat.vin/cars/JM1NA3515N0328396
The ad says PA Certificate of Salvage, this is far more complicated in Maryland. It requires an appointment for inspection and a mandatory tow to the Maryland State police before the car can be registered.

Please do your homework before purchase!

FYI, my limited understanding is that Maine doesn’t require residency for tags on trailers. I have no idea if that applies to old cars too.

Good luck