Sore legs and spandex (the bike ridin' thread) - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Sore legs and spandex (the bike ridin' thread)

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 08-13-2014, 08:49 AM

HoodPin
Default Sore legs and spandex (the bike ridin' thread)

An incredible example of human morality failure.

http://www.wtop.com/52/3680465/Cycli...-and-drove-off

Not nearly as bad, but I guess it strikes a chord with me because Cindy's Allroad was recently dented by some ignorant/uncaring/clueless/etc. cretin, who backed into her parked car's fender and left a nice big melon sized dent just behind the headlight. No note, of course. My guess, is they probably drove off and looked for another parking space.

Why are people this cruel?

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 08-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

^^ I think people that do that kind of thing are scared of the consequences but it obviously gets worse if you try and cover it up or run.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:23 AM

vranko has one HoF thread

This is why I now try to stick to bicycling on bike paths (C&O Canal, W&OD, Rockcreek, etc.). Great disparity in speed on a roadway is dangerous no matter what the vehicle. There are also so many distracted drivers on the road now (texting, etc.) that it's really increased the likelihood of a dangerous situation for a bicyclist.

<flame_on>
But, bike paths have become even more dangerous over the last 20 years. Many users (runners, walkers and bicyclists) now wear headphones. My early warnings of a need to pass, even with my loud and obnoxious voice, go unheard. I've slowed down to close to runners speed and had to yell in their ear. That's about how close you need to get to overcome their music. So, be careful out there. Make sure you wear a helmet. Turn your music down. Don't take up the middle of the path especially if you can't hear and don't jump out to pass without being aware of your surroundings.
<flame_off>

2024 BMW G87 ///M2 (Next 444)
2021 Toyota Supra GR (The Bupra, Other 444)
2016 BMW M235
2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
2007 Cayman S, #444
2013 Golf R
2012 BWM x5
2017 Mazda MX-5 Club
3 time DE Parade Lap Champion
#BestInstructorEver - Unknown
Old 08-13-2014, 09:41 AM

Potomac-Greg

Courtland Milloy at the WashPo has been stirring sh!t up with a few columns on the conflicts between bikes and cars. He's a clown, but I do find myself siding with him.

I don't know how you can have an in-town transportation system that can efficiently and safely combine 2 ton, steel (or aluminum!) contrivances that typically move at 25-45 MPH with 20 lb. bikes moving at 10-15MPH, especially if the biker claims a full lane of a roadway. Conflict is inevitable and bikers lose due to physics.

I've started doing some road biking and I try to hug the shoulder (inconvenient but IMHO the fair thing to do), and at controlled intersections, I will often switch into "pedestrian" mode, choosing NOT to sit at a red light between or in front of cars.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 AM

APKhaos

On the trails, both joggers and bikers with ear buds in are common. The surprising thing is that the majority of these ear blasters are no match for the small bell lots of us use to all passes. The majority acknowledge the bell with a hand wave or by moving a little to the right.

A high pitched bell gets through. Best $10 mod around for safer trail riding.

Riding on the roads stuffed with distracted drivers is a crap shoot at best.
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup
Old 08-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Site Admin

Charlie Stylianos has disabled reputation

My roommate had a Delta AirZound. Silly loud and obnoxious.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:59 AM

vranko has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by APKhaos View Post
A high pitched bell gets through. Best $10 mod around for safer trail riding.
Yea. I've been reluctant to get the bell. I've relied on my voice for so long. I guess I have to give in to the reality of the situation.

My usual strategy is to attempt to ride at unpopular times when the trails are the most empty.

2024 BMW G87 ///M2 (Next 444)
2021 Toyota Supra GR (The Bupra, Other 444)
2016 BMW M235
2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
2007 Cayman S, #444
2013 Golf R
2012 BWM x5
2017 Mazda MX-5 Club
3 time DE Parade Lap Champion
#BestInstructorEver - Unknown
Old 08-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranko View Post
Yea. I've been reluctant to get the bell. I've relied on my voice for so long. I guess I have to give in to the reality of the situation.

My usual strategy is to attempt to ride at unpopular times when the trails are the most empty.
Get the bell. Beats saying "onyerleft " all the time too. It is not the earbuds it is the people that get on a busy MUP and think they are walking alone in the woods. No clue of the rules of the path and complete expectation the the world is there to gently catch them should they stumble.
I size up each pass and how I signal it. Clueless turons get along distance bell ring and an on yourleft when I am a bit closer. Experienced jogger holding right a soft ding. Group of. Lime and pink spandex yanking away 3 wide. Soft ding and a nice voice thanks if they compress a bit.

Road. Rear light on. Brain on. Let them pass where safe take the lane where not. None of the bell and random acts of stupid as seen on the MUPs.

Warm weekend days are chock full o nuts.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:33 PM

Drscope

As a rider I find two types of cyclists to be REALLY annoying.

First the road riders who have decided after the 3 foot law went into effect that they now own the entire lane. Especially when this is on narrow, twisting roads with limited visibility and few places to make a safe pass. (I suspect this may in fact be the case with the cyclist in the article)

The others are the ones in the heavily used state park on the paths who are trying to break the land speed record while other riders are enjoying a sedate ride, pedestrians are walking, dogs are on leashes, and children are present.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:56 PM

Potomac-Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drscope View Post
As a rider I find two types of cyclists to be REALLY annoying.

First the road riders who have decided after the 3 foot law went into effect that they now own the entire lane. Especially when this is on narrow, twisting roads with limited visibility and few places to make a safe pass. (I suspect this may in fact be the case with the cyclist in the article)

The others are the ones in the heavily used state park on the paths who are trying to break the land speed record while other riders are enjoying a sedate ride, pedestrians are walking, dogs are on leashes, and children are present.
I absolutely agree on both points. As to the first, point, I think a bike rider has a legal right to a full lane -- which is ridiculous. In theory, then can ride in the middle or even in the left tire groove, and you would have to wait for a safe place to pull into opposing traffic to pass. Thankfully, most bike riders will move over. But, consistent with your second point, if it's a hard-core, spandex-clad, Tour de France wanna-be, then they're not going to deviate course nor velocity for anyone. And then there are the packs of spandex-clad-riders .........