Plugged Tire at DE? - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Plugged Tire at DE?

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:30 AM

Dandelion

I think it would be helpful, Aaron, if you introduced yourself - from searching, I see you are the PCA National Treasurer - but with only 4 posts here, and none which describe your background and experience, most casual readers will have no context in which to assess your advice.

As you know, it's sometimes hard to match the name to the face at a DE.

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 03-09-2018, 12:27 PM
Wanted: safety chair.

roundel

I blew a tire at about 145 mph a couple years ago. Not really that big a deal. I wouldn’t sweat it.

https://youtu.be/BFWRTDqR3Ws
97 318ti

"Guys, I'm coming in, I have too much grip."
Old 03-09-2018, 02:18 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel View Post
I blew a tire at about 145 mph a couple years ago. Not really that big a deal. I wouldn’t sweat it.

https://youtu.be/BFWRTDqR3Ws
You've gotta admit - you look awfully calm in that video!!

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 03-09-2018, 03:35 PM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

I like my version better
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles
Old 03-09-2018, 06:48 PM
Wanted: safety chair.

roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0tt0N View Post
I like my version better
A: Don’t you always.

B: Post it Boy-0
97 318ti

"Guys, I'm coming in, I have too much grip."
Old 03-13-2018, 07:11 AM

Aaron Ambrosino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varejao17 View Post
I think it would be helpful, Aaron, if you introduced yourself - from searching, I see you are the PCA National Treasurer - but with only 4 posts here, and none which describe your background and experience, most casual readers will have no context in which to assess your advice.

As you know, it's sometimes hard to match the name to the face at a DE.
Ed, I would be happy to introduce myself. Thanks to the power of Google you are correct that I am PCA's National Treasurer. As part of that duty I over see the National DE Committee. I will be celebrating my 28th year in PCA this May and have been involved in DE form the beginning. I am a second generation PCA member so I got my start DE'ing thanks to my father who was also my instructor. I have been instructing for 15+ years and completed the PCA National Instructor Training program in 2004.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:21 AM

Aaron Ambrosino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
Do you know of any tire failures due to a plug?

Tires fail on track from time to time. We take that risk as a given knowing before we go ontrack that there is a known chance that a tire can fail. Do you replace any tires that were tracked at higher or lower than proper pressure? Those and other things like improper camber, overloading and overheating are known paths to reduced carcass life. It is the failure of the carcass that causes the high drama on track events.
Vicegrip, I cannot point to an instance where a plug failed on track. My point is why take a chance by plugging a tire that you know has been damaged. The safer bet is to replace the tire or depending on wear replace both.

With regards to your other hypothetical questions, if damage to the tire is evedent due to one of those issues then yes the tire should be replaced. Sometimes the damage is not easily visable and that is when bad things can happen. When in doubt replace the tire(s), in the long run it will be the cheaper option.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:23 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

And this is my point. Perception of risk driving recommendation rather than actual calculations. All the years of DE involvement, armed with no known evidence of a plug related carcass failure, the recommendation is still “replace” with the nod to “think of those around you too”. Often times and far more so with the heavy high HP cars damage or wear is not visible and best calculated out via usage profiles. Things we see or "feel" tend to be given far greater weight than risks we should be tracking but don't.

Way too easy to say “$100 head get a $100 helmet” or “best change it” while it is harder to find the root of and manage the real risks.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 03-13-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:31 AM

Aaron Ambrosino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
And this is my point. Perception of risk driving recommendation rather than actual calculations. All the years of DE involvement, armed with no known evidence of a plug related carcass failure, the recommendation is still “replace” with the nod to “think of those around you too”. Often times and far more so with the heavy high HP cars damage or wear is not visible and best calculated out via usage profiles. Things we see or "feel" tend to be given far greater weight than risks we should be tracking but don't.

Way too easy to say “$100 head get a $100 helmet” or “best change it” while it is harder to find the root of and manage the real risks.
One issue with plugging or patching a tire is the quality of work done on the repair. The RMA has issued a Puncture Repair Procure for properly repairing tires.
http://www.rma.org/wp-content/upload...lchart1111.pdf

According to Michelin for a tire to maintain its warranty and speed rating it needs to be repaired by an authorized dealer to the RMA standards.
"For a repair to be considered acceptable the puncture must be smaller than 1/4 inch in diameter and repaired with the combination of a patch and a plug. The puncture must be far enough away from the sidewall and shoulder area to place a patch inside the tire without coming in contact with the sidewall and shoulder area. There is a maximum of 3 repairs per tire or 1 repair permitted for a run flat tire. Each repair location must be a minimum of 90 degrees apart. If these steps can't be followed then the repair is not acceptable and the tire must be removed from service. A speed rated tire will retain its speed rating as long as the tire is repaired to RMA standards."

For some brand of tires the speed rating may be reduced due to the repair.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=225

Lastly we do not know what damage could have been done to the tire if it was driven on below the recommend tire pressure due to the puncture.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Is this a PCA De requirement?

- 2021 quickly disappearing...