Edge tread wear - Page 4 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Edge tread wear

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:38 PM

rbpeirce

Totally new direction. Lara keeps suggesting RE-71Rs but from what I can find out they are great for autocross but fall off after a few track laps. OTOH, perusing the TireRack site I came across Yokohama AD08 R at a few bucks more than my PS4Ss, actually $80 with the $70 Michelin Gift Card. They seem to be comparable to the RE-71R in most respects but pretty much universally liked for track use. Any comments?
Old 11-27-2019, 08:10 PM

Dandelion

Many of us in Potomac use the RE-71R without issues on track

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 11-27-2019, 08:45 PM

Modian

RE71Rs are a great autocross tire, but what makes them great for autocross (super soft, sticky right away) makes their life on track very short. They won’t last near as long as the Michelin’s. For me, I make it about half the session before they get greasy, but others seem to like them fine.

I like Hankook RS4s. Almost as sticky as 71Rs but last much longer. I used a couple sets of those before moving to NT01s.

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3
Old 11-28-2019, 10:27 AM

rbpeirce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modian View Post
RE71Rs are a great autocross tire, but what makes them great for autocross (super soft, sticky right away) makes their life on track very short. They won’t last near as long as the Michelin’s. For me, I make it about half the session before they get greasy, but others seem to like them fine.
That's what I heard/read, but apparently that doesn't affect everybody. I'd just as soon not take the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modian View Post
I like Hankook RS4s. Almost as sticky as 71Rs but last much longer. I used a couple sets of those before moving to NT01s.
Apparently they aren't available in my size, but thanks. Others have also mentioned them, as well as the NT01s. However, the latter appear to be track only tires and I'm not ready to get into that.

As for tread wear, while I got 13 days out of my PS4Ss, I still had a lot of tread in the middle. I'd be happy for the same number of days with more tread wear. My best alternative to the RE-71R still seems to be the AD08 R.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:41 AM

Dandelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpeirce View Post
My best alternative to the RE-71R still seems to be the AD08 R.
Do you actually know anyone who has run the AD08 on a Cayman on the track?

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 11-28-2019, 11:06 AM

rbpeirce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
Nope. That's why I asked. I see mixed reports on the RE-71R, which on the surface looks like a terrific tire, so I'm looking for alternatives.

BTW, it seems like a lot of Cayman owners do run the RE-71R on track so it may be that it is a tire that works better on the Cayman than on other cars. I'd like to know that as well. That happens. I recall when I had my NSX, one of the best tires was a cheap Sumitomo, or as we called them, crapitomo.

I need new tires, lack a lot of background knowledge and I'm just trying to figure the best way to go. I seem to have exhausted the capabilities of the PS4S, and as with OEM brake pads a number of years back, it is time to move on.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Not recently. I have seen plenty of ID08s run at DR tracks

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:45 PM

rbpeirce

Quote:
I checked the TireRack reviews and only found two Cayman users, but one of them was really autocross, not track. 2007 S from Naperville, IL. No idea how qualified he is. Don't know how he got to -2 with a stock suspension. Also don't know if he was getting 8-10 days rotating the tires or not. Looks like not, but I can't be sure. They are directional, so they can't just be crossed. They would have to be dismounted and remounted, which means rebalanced as well. Not something I could do in my garage.

1,000 Miles on Tires
February 29, 2016
I use this tire for HPDE. I occasionally drive to the track vs. trailer and need a DOT tire. Great grip and predictable handling. I get about 8-10 HPDE days per set since camber adjusted to -2 degrees (stock suspension). Only got about 5-7 days per set before camber change. Also rotating tires on rims will help get a few more days out of them. I use the Aim Pista data logger and can document 1.1 G continuous with short spikes up to 1.25G. Not bad for a street tire on a "stock" Cayman. I just purchased my fifth set.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Probably best to ask for recommendations/ experiences around in the Cayman or track section of RennLisp or Pelican.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 11-28-2019, 03:13 PM

rbpeirce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
Probably best to ask for recommendations/ experiences around in the Cayman or track section of RennLisp or Pelican.
I don't know those lists. I only got on this one because of Lara and I've found the Porsche drivers seem to know what they're talking about. For example, apparently RE-71Rs work well on Caymans even if they are questionable on other cars. That's useful to know.