Putting a 2 post lift 3/4 the way up a mountainside. - Page 5 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Putting a 2 post lift 3/4 the way up a mountainside.

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 02-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Forgiveness is at times less effort than permission for sure. Have to say I am starting to sort of like the great room as is....

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:03 PM

cmartin

Too funny. Wow, that really is a great room.

Lately my great room has been the shop.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:36 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

The basement shop is now roughed out with the work areas and existing equipment in place. Going to use it as is for a while and let things evolve as needed. When I first looked a the house the shop area was just chock full of randomly stored stuff.
The work bench and red tool box next to the blue blast cabinet is my son Ryan's work space and tool box. In order to max out the floor space in the garage I placed the tire changer and balancer in the shop next to the door to the garage. The dust control monster is a mash up of 2 systems from the old place controlled with a relay and a X-mass tree light remote. Does OK for now. I plan to remote mount the vacuum unit so the noise and any fumes go outside. Nice to go back to having a wood working area with open space and be able to keep bench tools out and at the ready. Long ago I sold off much of my wood working tools. Now I have to start replacing the missing machines. Jointer, large planer and a shaper to start.

I just noticed that Ryan is in the last image. snow day today. He has been trying to make a stick welder with some microwave transformers. $40 worth of electricity and about 2 feet of steel Tig rod later he is starting to get an arc to form. I am thinking of mounting a sprinkler head above his bench and tying it into the domestic cold water line.
Attached Images

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:49 PM

cmartin

you really have been busy. Such a nice setup, well done. I'm enjoying the build out but since I'm new to some of the wood stuff I'm still working through the need/want list. I like your idea to let it percolate for a while, I've made some $$ buys over time that are great dust collectors/shelves.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:27 AM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

Good job by the yout on the home made tig welder.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:58 AM
Lifer

jbailey930

Very nice space, Kurt, great before and after pix! A shaper is a big boy toy, how about 3hp router/table setup?

You see any issue with your HVAC in the area? I have a smaller combo shop in my basement with water heater, furnace, blower, ducting. I run an air filter along with Fein vac for DC, but use mostly hand tools and sanders there.
86 911 Targa (sold/missed)
Old 02-02-2019, 04:35 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

HVAC is super tight build with no suction side access to shop air. Plan to build a movable wall cover to go around the main floor blower. Shop space runs cool but comfortable. No supplementary heating or cooling needed based on July to now.

Have a 1/2 inch 3 hp Elu/DeWalt that I used to have mounted in a table saw wing. Worked well for most things up to but just shy of a 3 inch panel cutter. My 220V Jet shaper was solid and easy to set up for feeding big wood through without chatter, vibration or tearout from overfeeding.

Before beating up on old German cars I messed with wood and made Stickily furniture repairs and ahem, copies. I had some access to some original Gustav Stickily furniture while making paid repairs. Took measurements and drawings of the ones I liked. Lots of 5 quarters quarter sawn white oak. BTW a great way to turn hours, skills and wood into very little $ is make one off furniture. Most people have NO idea how much time and effort it takes to turn a White Oak log into a break front.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:33 PM

DonNewton

Just wow. Way to go Kurt.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:09 AM

zygomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post

Before beating up on old German cars I messed with wood and made Stickily furniture repairs and ahem, copies. I had some access to some original Gustav Stickily furniture while making paid repairs. Took measurements and drawings of the ones I liked. Lots of 5 quarters quarter sawn white oak. BTW a great way to turn hours, skills and wood into very little $ is make one off furniture. Most people have NO idea how much time and effort it takes to turn a White Oak log into a break front.
Amen to that.

"All my laps look like cool-down laps"

997 GT3 (lacking imagination, yet another 997)

987 Cayman R (gone, but I get to see it at DEs)
997 Carrera S (gone and missed)
997 C2S (gone)
944 S2 (gone)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:13 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

So....My son Ryan and I joined the Front Royal cave grotto some time ago. A grotto is a caving club of sorts. Our plan was for Ryan to continue to learn and enjoy caving and for his dad to go back to an activity that he much enjoyed in his youth.

Today we joined a group of guys that were digging out a sinkhole that had potential to be the entrance to a cave. This sinkhole has a desirable habit of flowing air in and out like a chimney. In during the winter and out during the summer which indicates that there is a good section of cave above the sinkhole. There is plenty of rolling hill all around the sink too.
At the dig we all took turns in the bottom of the sinkhole digging up buckets of sticky mud and busting up embedded limestone rocks so they would fit in the bucket. Tasks included in the hole lifting buckets, swapping out full buckets for empty ones, telling stories of adventures and follies, jokes, staying warm and laughing. We took turns at all the tasks.
The digging crew made great advances once past the mud and we were able to open up enough of an entrance to go into a fresh new cave. This is not a common thing for most cavers. The cave section is nice. Classic slow erosion that follows fault lines and clean as you would expect with a place that has never seen a human before. No muddy dusty walls with "troop #34X5 was here" scratched on the walls. The cave trends down at abut a 45 deg angle for 80 feet or so, pinches down a bit and then drops into another section below that has some washed in rocks. he air flows through the rocks. This means there is more open cave beyond the washed in rocks. Unlike most things you never know what is past the next tight squeeze in a cave. It might pinch down to nothing it might be a cavernous room.
We set up a bucket line of sorts. Two of the smaller and more experienced team members when through the slot and into the lower chamber. They started removing the rocks, chucking them through the slot up to/at me and I passed them to Ryan. He had the fun part. Tetris...Cave version 2.0. Object of the game, eye up fit and jam the rock into a nearby nook and be ready for the next one to be passed up without pinching a finger between rocks. The rest of the crew was cleaning up on the surface and standing watch at the bottom of the sinkhole. We did this for a good while and made some progress before running out of day. Packed up, covered the pit with logs and done for the day.
More shoring in the sinkhole portion is needed before we continue inside the cave.
What started out as volunteering to help with an ongoing dig turned into a real nice treat for all. odd note the crappy cell phone pix of today are more than i have from the years of caving I did back in the 70's and 80s. I need to call Verizon too, no service in the cave.
Attached Images

Shakespeare.

You Matter.