Putting a 2 post lift 3/4 the way up a mountainside. - Page 11 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Putting a 2 post lift 3/4 the way up a mountainside.

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 03-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

Great choice. Our old neighbors had Guinea fowl - they are indeed loudbeaks.

I stayed on an urban farm in East Detroit a few years ago and discovered that ducks do make some noise. They're quiet, but sound like people murmuring. Not a problem out your way but a little unnerving at night in Detroit
Old 03-24-2019, 03:13 PM

Chopper Dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
9 days. They grow very fast. This breed was bred out from mallards and is intended for eating. Egg to “eatin” size is measured in weeks. They grow to 9 to 11 pounds and live the same number or years (if you don’t eat them). The hens can lay 150 or more eggs a year no drakes required
I was going to suggest when I first saw the pics Umm Peking Duck, or Duck a la Orange
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 03-24-2019, 05:12 PM

cmartin

Cool? Do you eat them? Eggs?

Tons of ducks and geese here, first year there was a duck next in the garden by the pool. Not interested in keeping them but cool to watch.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:34 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Yes duck eggs are good eating. A chicken is is skim milk a duck egg is whole milk. A bit larger than a chicken more of the good fat less of the bad. Great in the frying pan, do not whip up as well as chicken eggs but are better when baking.
I like to make veggie omelets with 3 whites and one yoke.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:34 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Got to love it when you find the just right am grind. Clean sharp and strong but not bitter or burned.
I wanted to dial in a chain grind that was fast and just at the edge of the available saw hp with a 25 inch bar and cutting Oak. Too aggressive and it bogs, stalls in the wood, gets grabby and it increases kick back. Not aggressive enough (stock) and you have to lean on the saw a bit to use up all the HP available with a 25 inch bar and anything less than almost full chain engagement.
Increased the gullet to handle the increased material per pass, flattened the tooth angle a little and reset the raker height a little bit at a time. Found the right tune with this chain grind. Flies through Oak trunks with just a slight feed pressure or leverage on the bucking teeth. All the hp is in use when the bar is 90% to 100% in the wood and guiding pressure only. Big chips, fast cuts, no sore back. Bucking only. Not an in tree, overhead or felling grind as it is aggressive and can kickback if you don't pay basic attention.
Attached Images

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:25 AM

cmartin

Nice. I use the 25 in the 362 and you are dead in about the right chain. I have to lean on it a bit in the by stuff or it bogs when it digs in. Love the skip chain with medium to big stuff.

Looks like fun out there

Last edited by cmartin; 03-30-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:31 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Been out there for 6 months, and you are already clear-cutting to improve the view a la Dan Snyder?

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 03-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Anything regarding me and he who will not be even mentioned is fightin' words.

This tree was selected for heating my house by The Almighty Dog himself. It lost a long slow battle with the inexorable pull of gravity. Seems that snaking roots through a pile of talus slope rocks on shale over-top of limestone cemented together with but the thinnest dose of likely self made soil is not the best ultra long term footing for a big Oak. It only worked for a 100 years or so.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:00 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

I don't know how the wife and kids did not notice this when they drove up the road at 5pm I saw it just fine at 7pm. The one time I don't have a chainsaw in the truck bed......
Seems this tree felt the need to fall on a clear dry light wind day after the wife picked up the kids but before I got home.
Took a walk up the road, had dinner and came back with the tractor and tools. An omen or warning perhaps? Are the woods are ticked off at the Bark Butcher of Powell Mountain for cutting up and immolating their fallen?
Attached Images

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:25 PM

forklift

Maybe, I hear they talk to each other. We've cut down a bunch (dead ash and a few poplar) but have planted more than we've cut so hopefully none of our trees are planning an attack.

Wish we had more oak on our property but otoh we have enough dead ash to feed the wood stove for another 6+ years.
Jim, ex P-car: 93 RSA, G stock #222