Recommended Audio System Installers - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Recommended Audio System Installers

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:23 PM

xhlar8cf
Default Recommended Audio System Installers

Does anyone have recommendations on local installers for a 87 Porsche 911? I know the sound of the engine is all you need, but the current stereo doesn’t match and the sound is pathetic. Looking for reputable installers that have experience with the older cars.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:43 AM

Chopper Dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhlar8cf View Post
Does anyone have recommendations on local installers for a 87 Porsche 911? I know the sound of the engine is all you need, but the current stereo doesn’t match and the sound is pathetic. Looking for reputable installers that have experience with the older cars.
The search button is usually pretty helpful as the subject has come up many times.
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 11-23-2020, 09:58 AM

87turbolook911

A bit far for you, but my family owned DSI electronics in Laurel, MD. Built many systems for PCA'ers over the years. Though we don't have the store any longer, my brother continues to do installs out of his house in Columbia, MD for friends and family.

Let me know if you'd like to connect.

I'd recommend at minimum a new head unit with bluetooth, small (true 50wx2) two channel amp to run new door speakers and replace rear speakers (powered by head unit). This set up will be a great improvement over stock. Biggest caution would be properly removing the door panels. We've seen many broken ones due to improper removal.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2020, 10:13 AM

xhlar8cf

Thanks for the reply Vu! When I did my search I noticed threads back in late 2000's.

Currently the car has a new head unit Blaupunkt, new door and rear speakers, but no amp. I really like the Porsche PCCM head unit (I know the screen is worthless, over priced, but it looks stock and great" Previous owner had all the wiring redone in the car, including the fuses from ceramic to blade. I want to make sure I find installers that know what they're doing. I've debated doing it myself, but I also don't want to make a mess.

I'd definitely be interested in talking to your brother on options, but something closer would be a little easier if I left it overnight, unless it could be completed in a day.

Again, thanks for your advice.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:18 AM
Lifer

jbailey930

Dan at Kartunes in Sterling is a good guy. He's done the head unit, amp and sub in my 930. He has also done couple of entertainment systems in our family SUVs. He is very neat and professional. He did a custom Lambo job for Bautista and a few Redskins' autos.

http://kartunesinc.com
86 911 Targa (sold/missed)
Old 11-23-2020, 10:28 AM

87turbolook911

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhlar8cf View Post
Thanks for the reply Vu! When I did my search I noticed threads back in late 2000's.

Currently the car has a new head unit Blaupunkt, new door and rear speakers, but no amp. I really like the Porsche PCCM head unit (I know the screen is worthless, over priced, but it looks stock and great" Previous owner had all the wiring redone in the car, including the fuses from ceramic to blade. I want to make sure I find installers that know what they're doing. I've debated doing it myself, but I also don't want to make a mess.

I'd definitely be interested in talking to your brother on options, but something closer would be a little easier if I left it overnight, unless it could be completed in a day.

Again, thanks for your advice.
The Porsche PCCM is really nice and matches the dash as intended. More than likely your stock wiring has been modified, so installer will need to know how to ID existing wiring and create a harness for the PCCM. Porsche does provide a blank plug in their kit. Adding an amp, quality speakers in doors and mounting them properly are key to good sound. Do it right and it'll make a big difference. Punchier mid bass that you can feel. For real bottom end sound, look to adding a three channel amp (vs two) and subwoofer.