Putting a 2 post lift 3/4 the way up a mountainside. - Page 8 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Putting a 2 post lift 3/4 the way up a mountainside.

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 02-28-2019, 11:46 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

My two friends that don't drink my beer stopped in today and helped out on a project.
Bucked up 2 Oaks this am. A 16 inch that fell during the ice storm and took out its 12 inch neighbor. The tractor got right up to the trunk area and made moving the larger rounds easy. Bucked, brush cut to size and 3 loads to the splitting pile before lunch. Starting to like that thing.

Does not drink beer but it sure does like a bunch of other fluids. Stopped in at where else, Tractor Supply and stocked up on tractor booze. Gal of coolant, gal of oil and a couple 5 gal buckets of hydraulic fluid. Smart move on Ford's part that the main trans, front trans axle, front drive reduction boxes, PTO drive, power steering and powered implements all use the same fluid.
Attached Images

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 02-28-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:19 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

The house came with an outbuilding containing a diesel powered back up generator and a 275 gallon fuel tank. The PO had a few vehicles that ran on diesel and used the storage tank for off road diesel fuel. Right after I moved in I thunked the tank with a knuckle and it sounded the same from top to bottom and sounded empty. The tank had a hose with a filler nozzle that was ported to the very bottom of the tank. the port was the one normally used as a water drain. The hose was old and stiff and when I opened the shut off valve it leaked. Seeing as the generator was at 65% fuel I did not give the tank much of another thought until the hard cold snap that was followed by the warm spell we had a while back. Was in the gen shed and I noticed that the tank was sweating all the way up but for the top 8 inches or so. Not empty...Full! Opened up a 2 inch bung on the top and sure enough full of red off road diesel. Problem is it will go bad before it gets used up at the present rate the gen set uses it during the once a week test runs. The tank on the gen set is about 100 gallons (I think, Can't find any data on the base tank)
Added fuel system rehab to the list. Drawing fuel from the very bottom of the tank is bad form. Installed a 12 Volt* fuel transfer pump and big fuel filter with the dip tube set 4 inches from the bottom. Added the proper amounts of fuel stabilizer and antibacterial treatment. Ran pump with the nozzle in the tank fill port for a few 20 min runs to blend. Checked the filter and it was clean and dry.
Wired up the shed for 120V power and lights and outlets inside and out as for some reason it did not have shore power. The shed did not have a rain gutter ether and the splash back rotted out the bottom of the door frame so a gutter was added and the door that got fixed as well. All the fuel cans are stored in the shed as it is far enough away from the house.

* 12 volt so I can move fuel to the gen set if it runs out during a power failure. We just had a 22 hour outage and the gen tank went from 60% to 35% full. This also keeps a long term format backup 12 volt battery charged up and ready for the gen set should it be needed and a place to store and charge the trolling motor batteries.

Have a 66 long hood coming in for a full sort soon so I can go back to rusty Porsche pictures rather than house prattle. Feb is short for a reason....

Name:  dtank.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  773.2 KB

Name:  genset.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  526.2 KB

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:44 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

It's nice that they built a house for it. Glad you can keep the lights on throughout the house for extended outages.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 03-01-2019, 09:56 AM

cmartin

That looks like a substation more than a gen to me, nice!
Old 03-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Ya. No complaints from me. Very quiet and sips fuel. You can’t hear it running in the house and the sound is deep and low no high frequencies. AC power is clean with a good sign-wave, dead on voltage and hertz. Yes, I am a geek and checked it. (Same guy that spent 3 seconds checking a tank that had $600 in fuel in it) I programmed in a reasonable start delay to let the shore power try and sort itself out. Crank and start programming is baked in Once started there is a 7 second warm up / stabilizing period before the switchover to gen power. All standard stuff for this format diesel backup.
A good bit under half a gal per hour run time based on the paperwork. I need to get a proper idea of the underframe tank size so I can get a real world idea of fuel usage. Has a Kubota motor and Cummins generator.
At some point the PO or his wife sat in the dark a bit too long as this was added in 2012 I suspect he was doing everything he could to keep his wife from moving off the mountain. He did not succeed.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 03-01-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Scrap bin conjuring
This and that combined with sparks.
A snowy day well spent.
Attached Images

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:07 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Now I have a place to keep the 460 and 170 on the tractor. The front bucket is handy until you move a load of wood then you don't have a place for the saws. Am also adding a rear storage area for the other stuff.
Attached Images

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:30 PM

DonNewton

I have to say that your new home seems to have been built with you in mind. I would imagine you're now the proverbial "Pig in ****". Trees to fell, stuff to move around and enough equipment to tinker with. What more can a guy ask?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:00 AM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

Nice work on the tractor accessories.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:51 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonNewton View Post
I have to say that your new home seems to have been built with you in mind. I would imagine you're now the proverbial "Pig in ****". Trees to fell, stuff to move around and enough equipment to tinker with. What more can a guy ask?
More? Got an old long hood sort out for a client on the way.

In the mean time mother nature gave me yet another tree to buck and split. I had a "leaner" 1/2 the way down the prop near the drive way. I was planning to help it finish its trip to earth on Thursday but it fell partly on the driveway last night. Left me just enough of a hole to slip the truck through and wander off to the big city for the day. 2 Oaks on the ground and 3 Ash to drop as soon as weather and ground conditions permit.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 03-06-2019 at 09:49 AM.